Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
To mount the DIY awning to the Garvin I made up a simple set of brackets.

GarvinMounts_zps26wvgzrz.jpg

JKAwning1_zps5jdyt5is.jpg

JKAwning2_zpswdmavr9p.jpg

The "rattan look" shade I chose lets some light through, but it's a very nice amount of shade. If you wanted to let less light through, or do something water resistant, a different fabric could be used on the shade.

JKAwning3_zpsoqi7peq5.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And finally, since the MultiPod LEDs are now in stock at the company that I did the LED project for, I had the company send me a few extra so I could use them in various ways on my Jeeps. The Garvin has 4 mounting points on the front, so here are 4 MultiPods mounted. Haven't wired them yet, just trying them on for size right now.

MultiPodLED4_zpsa3kzraqc.jpg

MultiPodLED5_zps8ewphvdn.jpg

MultiPodLED6_zpszjasqcpm.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm storing the Garvin above the first bay of the garage and I'll only put it on a Jeep when I need it. I can swap the locations of the Surco adapters to suit either the LJ or the JK, drive that Jeep under the rack and drop the rack down onto the Jeep. Only takes a few minutes to install/uninstall it.

GarvinStored_zpsy3i5os5q.jpg

BTW here it is on the LJ.

LJAwning3_zpsom3chzqg.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Anyone going to the Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion this weekend? MORryde and Retrofit Offroad are sharing a booth and my Jeep is there (sort of, it's on a big banner). If you are going, stop by their booth and say hi to Ryan (MORryde) and Joel (Retrofit). Looks like a huge booth, if I had known it would be that big I would have driven on of my Jeeps down for the booth.

SmokeyMountain1_zpsjye8ys2u.jpg

The Retrofit JKU is in the booth, it's sporting a bunch of the new MultiPod LEDs and mounts, as well as the hardtop slider window kit, half door slider kit, side mounts, tactical spare cover, etc...

SmokeyMountain2_zpszmxjl4qk.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! :victory:

I meant to follow up with you on the tire covers. Did they ever go into production?
If so, can you share the company info?
I'd still like to get one for the Scout. :)

Hope the show is a huge success. :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! :victory:

I meant to follow up with you on the tire covers. Did they ever go into production?
If so, can you share the company info?
I'd still like to get one for the Scout. :)

Hope the show is a huge success. :beer:

The Tactical Spare Covers have been available in several sizes and colors since Easter Jeep Safari; the fact that there's one on Retrofit's Jeep in the booth should tell you where they can be found :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I first posted about the DIY awning I said that for use in windy conditions tie-downs and stakes would be a good idea to stabilize the awning. I implemented them yesterday.

Guy-Lines1_zpstcg5fh11.jpg

The lines are paracord, and I terminated each end with a grommet. On the awning side the grommet slips over the support rod; on the stake side the grommet is attached to the stake with a keyring.

Guy-Lines2_zpse8ezmcis.jpg

I sewed a small bag to store the stakes and guy-lines...

Guy-Lines3_zpsnluospqg.jpg

...and the bag tucks nicely inside the awning cover for travel.

Guy-Lines4_zpsauizelqu.jpg

One more thing... the shade I used for my awning is actually about 6 feet long, but I'm only pulling it out 4 feet because I want the support poles to fit in the awning cover bag. But multi-part tent poles would allow a 6' extension and the poles would come apart to still fit in the cover bag. The multi-part tent poles are seem stiffer than the driveway marker poles I used, so even for a 4' extension they'd probably be better than what I used. Something like these I saw at Field & Stream yesterday:

TentPoles_zpsbdx6pf4z.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up a few more details for the Garvin rack today.

Securing the sand ladders. Hardware store 1/2" j-hooks cut to an appropriate length + some large washers cut from scrap 1/4" aluminum. Nuts take a 3/4" wrench, which is the same size as the Jeep lug wrench.

SandLadderJBolts_zpsgc6hm17z.jpg

Rubican mounts. I made up a simple bracket so the mount can clamp to the bars of the rack. Here's one Rubican mounted flat on the rack.

RubicanGarvinFlatMount1_zps8oghfber.jpg

Using the stacking adapters, multiple Rubicans can be carried up there:

RubicanGarvinFlatMount2_zpszxd3xdf9.jpg

SandLadderAndRubicans_zpsdar8332q.jpg

The mount can also be bolted to the side of the rack. I put the spigot in this one, might be a useful place for a water supply:

RubicanGarvinSideMount1_zpshj6kycr0.jpg

RubicanGarvinSideMount2_zpsklv7nxh4.jpg

akpostal

Adventurer
Using the stacking adapters, multiple Rubicans can be carried up there:

RubicanGarvinFlatMount2_zpszxd3xdf9.jpg

Ive emailed them 2 or 3 times about the stacking mount with no response, I guess Ill have to call. Ild like to get my second can mounted so I can do some plumbing. I guess if Joel is at a expo Ill wait till late next week.

20616990_743951412469858_4151328352466333929_o.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ive emailed them 2 or 3 times about the stacking mount with no response, I guess Ill have to call. Ild like to get my second can mounted so I can do some plumbing. I guess if Joel is at a expo Ill wait till late next week.

I think he'll be back in the office Monday. Here's what you want, there are two of the stacking mounts in this photo (the two in the center). Each just spins on to the previous mount.

LiquidContainers5_zpsv0bpk9ev.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For a long time I've been sourcing parts and planning to do what I've been calling the "Retro Rhino" grille kit for the JK. Styled like the old Gladiator "Rhino" front end, this would be a bolt-on set of parts to backdate the styling of the JK to the Gladiator "Rhino" look. I've written about it from time to time in this thread.

Now that the flat fender project and a few other projects are done, I've finally got some time to work on the Retro Rhino project. I'm doing a scaled-down version that will use the stock JK fenders, so the front panel will be slightly narrower than the JK grille. The original FSJ front hood and panel are about 70" wide (roughly 10" wider than the JK tub), so scaling is very necessary which makes some of the original components way too big, so I've sourced scaled down and updated components.

This next photo shows the components I will be using - original JK headlights, scaled-down turn signals, a scaled-down Jeep grille emblem, and modernized/scaled "pie plates" (these are actual grilles with openings rather than being solid like the originals).

RhinoHardware_zpsczyrwcta.jpg

The drawing the components are sitting on shows the scaled-down front panel width compared to the red JK hood at the top of the photo - the panel is a bit narrower than the JK grille.

There will be 3 fiberglass components for this kit - a hood, a grille panel, and a center grille. The reason the center grille will be molded separately from the grille panel is so that it can easily be finished differently - chrome plated perhaps. The first component I'm working on is the hood.

I'm making the hood by splicing parts of an original FSJ hood together with a JK hood. The result will be a hood that bolts up perfectly to the JK and matches the curves of the side of the JK but has the raised center section and front profile of the FSJ hood. The first step is to narrow the FSJ hood so that the raised center section will be the correct width for the scaled-down grille. I'm taking 9" out of the center. In the first photo the 9" to be removed is marked; in the lower photo the hood has been narrowed and welded back together.

RhinoHood1_zpswujhxngo.jpg

I also needed to narrow it on each side of the raised section in the center, and since the FSJ hood will be spliced into the JK hood, a lot of the FSJ hood won't be needed, so I cut most of it away. In the next two photos, the narrowed/cut FSJ hood is sitting on top of the JK hood. You can see the weld seams from additional narrowing I've done on each side. The lines of the JK hood and the sectioned FSJ hood are starting to flow together pretty nicely.

RhinoHood5_zps05fjngg2.jpg

RhinoHood8_zpsji8amwkj.jpg

RhinoHood6_zpsagqort86.jpg

RhinoHood7_zpsfko3egrn.jpg

This is very much a background project, so I won't be posting regular updates.

akpostal

Adventurer
Sorry to derail this thread Scherb, but I think your threads get more views then mine.

I dont know if Scherb has posted this in either of his threads, but he drew this up for me.

InsideSpareMount_zpsb8mdtl3f.jpg

I have a spare tire delete and a rack he lined out for me. Ild mount a fridge back here instead of the cooler.

20429784_740665372798462_6681462307750790931_n.jpg

I currently have my spare strapped to my sports bar.

20988305_750064961858503_1701164500308982845_o.jpg

Im waiting on parts, and my neighbor to get back to town because Im not a fabricator.

The bottom plate could clamp or u-bolt to the rear seat mounts on a JK.

21078531_753495264848806_2259163039776557832_n.jpg

Ild need to borrow a JKU or get good measurements for my neighbor to try and make a mount.

The tire cover Scherb came up with would be a great compliment to this idea.

Im happy with the straps, but i want to run this idea out once my neighbor gets back to fab it up. Im waiting on a roll bar clamp and the MORryde spare tire mount. Ild still put a strap over the top of the tire till I was comfotable with the mount.

Scherb the straps are rated to 1500#s each, would your mount come close to that?

Anybody else running a rear spare tire delete on a JK or TJ looking to mount a spare inside?

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sorry to derail this thread Scherb, but I think your threads get more views then mine.

I dont know if Scherb has posted this in either of his threads,...

I didn't post it in any of my threads because it has nothing to do with any of my threads. It belongs in your thread, not mine :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94