Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have a few minor tweaks to make to the JL grille kit design, but overall I'm pretty happy with the size and positioning of the slats. Haven't decided yet if I should give the grille a forward bend like the JL, or keep the flat curve same profile as the JK.

A JL grille image:

JLGrille2_zpsvxcy0z5n.jpg

A few photos of the recent "Safari" concept done by FCA, shown at Easter Jeep Safari. It has the forward bend. Seems to be basically a JL grille with marker lights almost centered under the headlights.

FCASafariConceptGrille2_zpsbwvoqgvk.jpg

FCASafariConceptGrille1_zpsbcdb9s7a.jpg

Opinions? Keep the fairly flat curve profile of the JK grille or bend the slats forward like the JL?

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I personally kinda like the grille slats bent. Good call moving the markers inboard. Whole thing looks really nice on the JK, either way I prefer it over the stock grille. Been following along, congrats on the kitchen design hit! I really like the homemade awning too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I personally kinda like the grille slats bent. Good call moving the markers inboard. Whole thing looks really nice on the JK, either way I prefer it over the stock grille. Been following along, congrats on the kitchen design hit! I really like the homemade awning too.

Thanks. I'm thinking bent slats is the way to go too. Definitely should move the markers inboard.

The company is showing the Trail Kitchen at the RV Industry Association's annual trade show next week in Louisville, they believe there's a wider market for it than just Jeep overlanding - things like tailgating parties and installing it in small camp trailers. They've invited me to the show, I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction that crowd has.

The awning worked out very well on the camping trip. I'm planning a little upgrade to it, I'll post details when it's done, stay tuned.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For those who like the flat grille look, here's the FCA CJ-SixtySix concept Jeep grille for comparison of a flatter grille with the JL-style bent slat grille. It has the slight curve that the JK grille has, but has the wider/taller slats, the headlights protrude into the outer slats. The headlights aren't as recessed as the JL or JK grilles. And the turn signals are slightly inboard of the headlights. I don't like it as well as the bent-slat version.

Grillle66_zpsvxv7baig.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The door hinge steps worked out so well that I'm now experimenting with other ways to use the new HD door hinges. I made up a bracket that bolts to the hinges to carry a Rotopax:

HingeRotopax1_zpsjbkrwj5s.jpg

HingeRotopax2_zps6nairo1c.jpg

HingeRotopax3_zpshmkxomrv.jpg

Also works with Rubican containers:

RubicanMount4_zpss1vlcrud.jpg

I'm also experimenting with a grid that mounts on the hinges and can be used for things like HiLift jacks.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a grid that mounts to the HD hinges. Left to right: the empty grid, a pair of Quick Fist clamps, and HiLift mounting studs:

DoorHingeGrid1_zpsumiwxci1.jpg

A HiLift on the left, and on the right a shovel mounted in the Quick Fist clamps.

DoorHingeGrid2_zpscpypklu9.jpg

I wanted to try out this grid idea (and the the Rotopax/Rubican mount) see how they'd work, and they both work just fine. I don't know how useful they'd really be, but they were very quick to fabricate so it was worth trying.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have a few minor tweaks to make to the JL grille kit design, but overall I'm pretty happy with the size and positioning of the slats. Haven't decided yet if I should give the grille a forward bend like the JL, or keep the flat curve same profile as the JK.

A JL grille image:

JLGrille2_zpsvxcy0z5n.jpg

A few photos of the recent "Safari" concept done by FCA, shown at Easter Jeep Safari. It has the forward bend. Seems to be basically a JL grille with marker lights almost centered under the headlights.

FCASafariConceptGrille2_zpsbwvoqgvk.jpg

FCASafariConceptGrille1_zpsbcdb9s7a.jpg

Opinions? Keep the fairly flat curve profile of the JK grille or bend the slats forward like the JL?

It is really tight to fit a winch down in the bumper, and still be able to get the grill out to replace a headlight.
Just something to think about.
I like the laid back angle and bend of the JL, but would not be happy if I had to pull the winch bolts to change a headlight bulb.

Matt.H

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm thinking bent slats is the way to go too. Definitely should move the markers inboard.

The company is showing the Trail Kitchen at the RV Industry Association's annual trade show next week in Louisville, they believe there's a wider market for it than just Jeep overlanding - things like tailgating parties and installing it in small camp trailers. They've invited me to the show, I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction that crowd has.

The awning worked out very well on the camping trip. I'm planning a little upgrade to it, I'll post details when it's done, stay tuned.

Jeff, outstanding work as always.

Could you keep us updated or linked to any progress in this area?

Thanks. Matt

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thank you. Will do, I'll probably do an update from the RVIA Show next week. It will be interesting to see what the reaction is from the RV market for small trailers.

And speaking of small trailers, I plan to mount it in my current trailer project, but probably won't get to that until sometime in January. Posting about that project starts at the end of my very long "Trailtop" thread: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...per-building-components?p=2365988#post2365988

BTW here are a few more kitchen photos from the Death Valley camping trip - making scrambled eggs...

ScrambledEggs_zpsxgigl4wz.jpg

In addition to using it at the campground, it was also quick to set up for lunch stops. In this photo doing lunch at a roadside view area on the "Artists Palette" road.

ArtistsPalette_zpsgnt6ywed.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
I like the flat grille. I like the taller slots. I like the small lights moved. I find the headlights requiring real estate in the void of the end slots really disconcerting.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the flat grille. I like the taller slots. I like the small lights moved. I find the headlights requiring real estate in the void of the end slots really disconcerting.

For more than 30 years ('55-'86), headlights protruding into the outer grille slats was part of the classic CJ look. Shown here on my "classic CJ" (2006 LJ Wrangler with a CJ grille):

LJ-8Final3_zps78bb734c.jpg

I'm sure Jeep did it on the JL to pay homage to the classic CJ years.

prperkins

I saw your LJ/TJ Safari Cab on Gr8Tops website...I love it! I imagine you have answered this question countless times on this thread, but is something similar available for JK 2-doors? Your ideas and designs are really amazing...thanks for this thread, it's very, very interesting to read along.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I saw your LJ/TJ Safari Cab on Gr8Tops website...I love it! I imagine you have answered this question countless times on this thread, but is something similar available for JK 2-doors? Your ideas and designs are really amazing...thanks for this thread, it's very, very interesting to read along.

Thank you very much.

So far the only JKU/JK Safari Cab to come out of the molds is the one on my JKU, I haven't made a 2-door Safari Cab yet (mostly because I don't have a 2-door JK). I have posted a bunch of concept images of the 2-door version over the course of this thread, including these...

2drRear34d_zpsbce2960f.jpg

2drSideViewSoftSides_zps9e0c5c8c.jpg

An anim showing the configuration options:

ConfigAnim2_zpss9t2zdc0.gif

prperkins

Thanks for the reply. The concept drawings are very nice...it would be awesome to see them come to life. I did notice a similar Safari hardtop from Smittybilt for about $2,600, but that one does not have the throw-back styling and unique look that yours does, including the barn doors. I really like the barn door feature and how you have made the most out of that feature with your storage and camping setup. It would be great if sometime in the future you might be able to offer a small kit that detailed how to modify the Smittybilt Safari top to have sliding side windows and a rear barn door. If you ever do that, please put me on your list!!! Thanks again for your reply and your many creative ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz