The Eagle Has Landed....

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Veeerrrrrrryyyy nice bro, I'm thrilled for ya. Just wow! Now that I see one of those on a T100 I'm sold... I can't wait to show Amy.

Joel

PS - It looks like you got the bodylift on, or is that just the taller tires?

Willman

From the thread..It sounded like you bought it used...What did that camper run you if you don't mind me asking??? Sweet looking outfit!!!!!:bowdown:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Very cool KC! Sometimes I wish I didn't have the 7'2" height restriction on my Dodge...one of those would go very nicely on it....oh well. By the time I could afford one, I may not have that restriction anymore....We'll have to get together so I can check it out some day. :bowdown:

BTW---[begin thread hijack] interested in getting together in late June in either N. CO or S. WY for a day or two of exploring/fly fishing? Would be a perfect time for me to change my mind about a 4wc...[end hijack]

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Very cool KC! Sometimes I wish I didn't have the 7'2" height restriction on my Dodge...one of those would go very nicely on it....oh well. By the time I could afford one, I may not have that restriction anymore....We'll have to get together so I can check it out some day. :bowdown:

Hey GT, you can get by with a normal camper shell, I'll bet you could still stand up in it too. :elkgrin: :wavey:

VikingVince

Explorer
KC,

Congrats on an excellent decision and great purchase. :victory: I think you're gonna love that FourWheel...I would!...and it'll work really well taking your kids along:victory: ...will be waiting for your comments as you use it...have a ball!!!

GT...would you elaborate on your 7'2" height restriction on your Dodge and why the FourWheel wouldn't work...confused on that 'cause these are made for full size trucks

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Ursidae69 said:
....Hey GT, you can get by with a normal camper shell, I'll bet you could still stand up in it too....

******** at Chuck (not Brian!) !! :jump:

Again, thanks everyone for the compliments! My idea for the T100 is to have a unique vehicle that is capable, comfortable and dependable that doesn't look like, perform or get used like any other T100. With barely 100K on this truck, I think we have lots of years together to get it dialed in to my vision. The camper gets it that much closer.

I may have to give into vanity and do something about the front end though. I've fought a brush guard/custom front bumper for years due to weight and my "if it ain't broke don't fix it," thinking. Plus if I were to have an accident and needed to replace the front bumper, I'd rather use the insurance company's money to buy a TJM, than use my own cash. But now all I can think is man, a custom bumper & grill guard would really set off the look of the truck and camper combo. And a snorkel.....:eek:

To quickly answer a few questions -

Swiss - Re the gas mileage, its still hard to say but I'll be watching it closely. I was driving into such a strong headwind on the way to ID, that even with the topper and tailgate off, I only got 15.8mpg. That's an all time low when not using 4WD or towing. But on the way home, loaded with the camper but now a strong tailwind (and crosswind occaisionally) that I averaged 16.9mpg...! When I had the shell on I consistently hit 19mpg in town and up to 22mpg on the highway.

Joel - Re the BL. Nope not yet, still collecting dust on the shelf. That's how the truck sits with the 285's. Actually I measured before and after mounting the camper. The rear wheel clearence, from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare was 37 3/4" before. After installing the camper I'm now at 36 1/4", so not a whole lot of squat but the Air Lift airbag system will correct that and provide good side to side leveling ability. Now with the camper, I may skip the BL or as you suggested swap the pucks for custom 1" UHMW blocks from Roger. I did just score a set of custom SDORI spacers off the Wire, machined down to 1" by Roger too. They should be showing up in the mail soon. The BL on the shelf was getting lonely....:rolleyes:

GT - I'm assuming you're talking about a 7'2 parking garage height restriction...? Heck yeah, I'll be around in late June for some runnin' around. I'll PM ya' -

Willman - I'll PM you the original listing link that caught my eye. I will say the dollar amount was not as big an investment as my time in researching these and seeking a candidate for my own. I would venture to guess, that had I tried to add the features of this camper to just my truck and camper shell, I probably would be out more dollars than I spent on the Eagle. The trick really was not so much about finding a steal as it was finding the right model to fit the T100, in creampuff condition that was located within the Rocky Mountain region. I got lucky but it took lots of patience and a lot of looking.

I also see this as an investment to teach my children to truly see and value the wilderness and world around them and that, as they say, is priceless.

Vince, you know what a huge fan I am of your set up. I think you got a better "deal/steal" than I did and I just hope we can get together soon somewhere and put them to good use. If you and I get bored with our current outfits, maybe we'll just trade trucks and campers for a few months! ;) I also appreciate you remembering how important it was to me to find a solution for self contained travel that would provide a level of real comfort for my wee ones. :bowdown:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Chuck, watch it. I'll park on top of your honda if you keep it up! :sport_box

Vince, 7'2" is the max height at the UA parking garages. As it looks right now, I will have that restriction until 2011. But like I said, it may be longer than that before I could afford a super-cool setup like KC or you have. I may wait it out though, because "standing room" is one of the goals with this truck.

Darren

Adventurer
WHOA! Awesome, dude! A new modification and a trip report in one! That looks like an awesome unit that you'll no doubt enjoy tremendously. I like the big window on the main section. Great job in researching and waiting for just the right item to come along. A BIG congratulations to you, bro! Can't wait to check it out!

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Ahhhh...parking garage height restriction...duh, I shoulda thunk o that:smilies27

KC...I forgot to mention in my first post how it looked in such great/creampuff condition...way to go!!...you must have scoured want-ads on a weekly basis...talk about payoff!!! I really do like them...to tell you the truth, if I found a good used one like you did, I'd consider scrapping my flippac. I just don't know where I'd put all the stuff I carry. So, as time goes by, I'll be interested to hear how the storage issue works out for you...happy camping...swap for a week? ANYTIME...I'd be getting the better deal!!!!!!!

blupaddler

Conspirator
KC...

CONGRATS!!!

Those are super cool. A buddy of mine has one and loves it.

Now I am going to have even more T100 envy.

:victory:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I started a review of the camper here -

I'm doing it in parts but there will be several more pics throughout.

The review is heavy on my decision making process and part trip report. Over the summer as we get more familiar with each other, I expect to add more "real time" reviews to the thread.

I did take it out on the trail this weekend with some cool other rigs like an expo ready FJ62, 2 Jeep Rubicons, a Grand Cherokee on 37's and a really trick double cab Tacoma. It was hardly noticeable even through some tough off camber sections. I really gained a lot of off road confidence in the camper's mounting system on this trip!

Here's a link to that thread with some pics - :lurk: :beer:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Hey KC,

You going to upgrade the leafs or add air bags? The pics look like the back is a little squatty, and that is without the gear for a big trip right?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
oof, that thing is beautiful - 4wheel campers are how I found this forum, but they're waaaaay too rich for my blood. I'm gonna make the most of my limber young bones for as long as possible - hopefully I'll be able to afford one before I'm 30.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Ursidae69 said:
Hey KC,

You going to upgrade the leafs or add air bags? The pics look like the back is a little squatty, and that is without the gear for a big trip right?

Airbags from Airlift. It did squat the rear by about an inch and a half. I was a little nervous about hitting the trail with it this weekend without the airbags installed yet but it did OK, even when getting crossed up and off camber. I have some BJ spacers ready for the front also but I'll probably skip the body lift I have on the shelf.

The more I look at this set up the more I think I'll be utilizing the space in the extended cab to stash my gear. I travel pretty light anyway, but I like the idea of having most of my gear low and centered. Everything I usually carry fit there on the trip to Idaho. The camper has a few storage cabinets and I may follow the lack of storage's lead and bring less crap that I don't use.

Guess how many Tecate's fit in the ice box? :jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior