Nexus 7 tablet refresh coming next month ?

haven

Expedition Leader
In July 2013, Google introduced the second generation of Nexus 7 tablets. The remake increased screen resolution to 1920x1200 (Full HD) and upgraded to a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 quad core processor. Like earlier Nexus 7 models, the 2013 version included a GPS chip in all versions.

One reason to choose a Nexus tablet is Google's promise to make available OS upgrades for at least two years. As promised, Google has updated the Nexus 7 OS several times, including Android version 4.4.3, released this week.

Staples has just lowered the price of the Nexus 7 with 16 GB RAM and WiFi only from $199 to $169.
http://www.staples.com/Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-16GB/product_215186

Is this a sign that Google is about to introduce an update to the Nexus tablet? The timing is right. The original was released in July 2012, 23 months ago, and it's almost a year since the 2013 version was introduced.

What would a refresh of the Nexus 7 include? Recent tablet announcements by other manufacturers have increased screen resolution and processor speed, while shrinking weight and tablet thickness. Today, however, no competitor has anything better in the $225 price class than the 2013 version of the Nexus 7.

haven

Expedition Leader
Rumors tend in two directions. First, that the next Google tablet will be slightly larger, with an 8 inch screen, and named Nexus 8. Instead of Asus, the tablet may be made by HTC.

Alternatively, Google will halt the Nexus program, and substitute a new program that simply certifies Android products from many manufacturers. A key element to certification would be that the manufacturers run close to stock Android. This would simplify and speed up the process of each manufacturer delivering Android updates in a timely manner. This certification program might be called Android Silver.

The inability of phone and tablet merchants to keep up with Android updates is a major impediment to the success of Android. While iOS device owners can simply and easily update their OS direct from Apple, Android owners have to wait many months for an update through the manufacturer or (in the case of devices purchased through a cell phone company) the reseller. Many Android devices are never updated, their owners missing out on performance and security updates.

Will Google stop selling Nexus-branded gear? We should find out at the next big Google developer conference, called I/O 2014, scheduled for June 25-26.

drcoopster

Adventurer
I had a 1st-gen Nexus 7, replaced it with the 2nd-gen last fall, and use it every day. It's fantastic, plenty fast for my use (Kindle app, email, web browsing, maps, and Tapatalk), and the perfect size for great portability and one-handed use.

If they upgrade it, that's great, but I hope they don't screw it up.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I love my 1st-gen Nexus 7 for offroad GPS mapping, but after lots of offroad miles the internal wifi antenna lost 90% of its reception, presumably from vibrations jostling the antenna loose from the circuit board. I now have to place the antenna right on top of my wireless router for any internet connectivity. It's a bit of a hassle, but since I only need internet connectivity for downloading updates and preloading maps into Backcountry Navigator, it still works fine for my needs. If the 3rd-gen Nexus 7 is reasonably priced, I may retire my 1st-gen and pick up a new one. A small tablet like this is the perfect size for vehicle mapping - much better than a smartphone and much more usable than a big bulky laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz