Frame for Expo Teardrop: build or buy?

C5dad

Observer
This is a question for those who have been down this path!

I am looking at an expo ready teardrop to pull behind the F250 (with the turn radius of a school bus). I have the opportunity to get a utility trailer that is 6x8.

Question is, should I go with the pre- built or do a ground up. Axel is a 5 bolt 2k variety. Frame is c-channel.

The truck has 35's on it

Thanks in advance!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
if you are seriously doing any real good hard off road stuff I say build

here's a nice forum with tons of ideas ~ http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/index.php

it seems that C channel can & will twist with stress, though most reinforce those frames with additional support & effort

& never fully achieve what a sold frame can do IMHO

Last edited:

C5dad

Observer
Excellent link -thanks. I was considering the same as to the frame, solid would be preferable.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
A 6x8 foot base is not a very large tear drop. It would have to be quite tall to accommodate the inner fenders, or if the base is 6 foot with fenders on the outside, it will end up being quite wide for any type of trail other than fire road.

Military trailers are normally over built with channel and cast material. A typical cargo trailer frame's strength depends on the upper for support in torque situations. Normally a tear drop does not have that structural integrity to support the rear of the frame.

Build your own, way more fun. Many designs with in this forum and several other places out there.

C5dad

Observer
I am definitely leaning towards a ground up. I looked at several repurpose builds an there was just as much work fixing. I am fortunate to have a local steel shop to cut the steel to size and do 45's on the corner if I wanted. Makes life better to not have to trim where possible. I'll be starting the design on my flight home tomorrow eve based off a few threads I've seen.

Now to decide on a steel or wood frame for the upper? This will be insulated and have power up run. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks to all in helping me not waste time (my most precious commodity).

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I built... But I couldn't find a frame that really met my need specs (and had reasonable enough crayon skills so a welder could fabricate off my design). If you decide to buy, I would aim to do as Silvrzuki77 recommends, and go with a military trailer, since you want a serious "expo ready' trailer.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I think Adventure Trailers could/would build you one to your specs if you wanted.

Someone on here (I forget who) had them build one, then built a TD body on it.

C5dad

Observer
Trailerworx does great work - have used them for other work related projects. And they are local!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles