Nice Lookin Chevy Van at Moab-pic inside

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is actually pretty cool, but it had to custom built 4X4, so why was it not SAS'd? Maybe that would have been too much work and the Chevy full size truck IFS bolted up pretty easily?

blaze one

Adventurer
That is a chevy platform though , they didn't have to bolt up the IFS to it , it was already there , I think............

njtacoma

Explorer
Chevy van at Moab

You can get a full size Chevy van with AWD. Not sure what year they started offering that option. My guess would be that it is just standard Truck stuff bolted in the front, not sure though.
If you really wanted to go crazy you could probably bolt up a transfer case with Low Range since most of GM's stuff seems to be plug and play. Of course you could just get a conversion from Ford with a solid axle and a low range transfer case... and a diesel hmmmmm :)

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
If money would not be an option, I probaly would get myself a 4x4 camper van from Sportsmobile www.sportsmobile.com

Even though GM is selling their full size vans now with AWD, I think you still have to go to Quigley if you want a transfercase with short gears. I read somewhere on the worldwideweb that with the smaller (now discuninued) AWD Astrovan, that the swap from the siglespeed AWD transfercase to a NV231 from the Wrangler is pretty straight forward. I don't know if with the full size van something similar would work.

blaze one

Adventurer
That all sounds interesting , and cool , But after all the problems i have had with my Chevy , i will never buy another :ar15: General Motors Product .

But it's cool though.......

Bella PSD

Explorer
The Swiss said:
Even though GM is selling their full size vans now with AWD..... I read somewhere on the worldwideweb that with the smaller (now discuninued) AWD Astrovan, that the swap from the siglespeed AWD transfercase to a NV231 from the Wrangler is pretty straight forward.

Here are some Astro Safari vans below. I have an AWD van and I must say, these vans are a real sleeper. Meaning stock they do really well in 4x4 hi(AWD) and with a 2 speed transfer Case they would be killer. Seems very few people know about them?? They are a good van!

http://www.slackeroffroad.com/photo/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=53

Here is alink on how to swap in a transfer Case from a S 10 (NP231C)
http://home.earthlink.net/~dharp1971b/id4.html

http://www.overlandvans.com/jeffvanas2.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~dharp1971b/index.html

http://www.overlandvans.com/offroadtest.html

Louie

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Just picked up my new work van last week. Gas card finally showed up and just put the first 200 miles on it yesterday. Its a Full size awd with the 5.3. So far I like! Drives great...it rids out so well I kept finding myself creeping up on 80mph. Not a good thing when you drive a rolling billboard wit ha unit number on the back.

Mine is a work truck with the interior bins but it came with power windows, locks, cruise and CD. No real complaint. Its so far one of the easiest to live with vans I have ever drove. The floor is pretty flat compared to most. My last van (2000 Dodge) was brutal on the feet. Pretty good foot room in this one. TONS of room for gear on the dash. Plenty of storage space. A lap top would easily fit in the door pockets! For bottom tier seats they are not bad at all. Visibility out the front is awesome.

Best off all was the price. You can pick up one just like it without the interior shelves for around $25-26k after discounts. Clean slate builder.

2 inch body lift would let you tuck up a lot of stuff including the fuel tank and give you a clear shot for sliders.

Couple observations.
Can't get the AWD with the duramax :(
Can't get the AWD with driverside rear doors
Can't get the AWD with the work doors in the side.
Can't get the AWD in a 2500. :(

I need to get this thing in the building with the Z71 we also have and look at the underpinnings. Just a quick look I think it would be no big deal to put a push button case with low range in it. What I want to see is if the A arms are the same and the front diff is the same as the Z71. If so it might be easy to get a Durmax 2500 and find a totaled Burb or truck with the push button case and convert it. The hope is a bolt on and ability to accept a truck lift kit.

Looks easy enough to take windows out of a LS and put the cargo bins in as well.

Haven't put enough miles on it to see what it gets for MPG yet. I'll update when I make the next fill.

I will tell you this...so far it feels like it pulls better then our Z71. It has 3.73 rear end in the van. I think the Z71 has 3.42. Its a big improvement and seems to put the 5.3 in its sweet spot.

If I could get the AWD with the Duramax and a 2500......My burb would have a for sale sign in the window in short order.

Those pics are VERY impressive if that vehicle finished even the bypasses on that trail, and made it out the other end unscathed.

That is Pritchett Canyon.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I love the fact that they are so big you can put a couple of dirt bikes in the standing up, no problem! Nice and secure in baja! :sunny:

jgolden

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of the 4x4 van as well, I did a little research and this is what I found so far....
You can buy a 2500 or 3500 2x4 Chevy van with a de-tuned Dmax (without the Allison) it has an hd 4speed. Have it dropped shipped to Quigley and they can install a Solid Axle frontend or an IFS 4x4.

Once that is completd, you can go have fun OR send it over to Sportsmobile for another round of $$$ upgrades.

I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle this size and caliber with a gas motor (unless it was used and a good deal) and I wouldn't buy a vehicle with the 6.0 diesel from Ford.......I've owned 2 Dmax GMC trucks and the motors are awesome!!!!!

Does this info sound correct? I was thinking of creating a new thread about GMC/Chevy 4x4 Vans because information is limited...

thanks

jkam

nomadic man
My 86 G30 Pathfinder 4x4 is for sale.
deal.gif

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5381

Excellent angle of approach and departure on vans, I'd have no problem on that trail.

Make me an offer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94