M Faux16 Build

andyf

Hello all,

First, I hope everyone finds a bit of humor in the title of the thread. I have lurked around the forum for quite some time and decided to start a formal build thread for my current project. I am in the process of building my second expedition type trailer and this time around I decided to build one in the style of a military trailer. The trailer is being built to be pulled behind either my 2 door Jeep JK or my F150. I initially started searching for a good used M416, but could not find any local or within a reasonable price range so I set out to build my own. I will try to keep the thread updated as the build progresses.

Specs are as follows:

Main Frame:
2X4 .120 wall tube
48 3/8" Wide x 116" long

Tub:
10 ga walls 72" x 48" x 20"

Suspension / Axle etc.:
Custom Width Axle
5x5 Hubs
Jeep CJ Springs
35" Tires

Once the basic trailer is finished it will get a set of cross bars and mounting points for a roof top tent. I contemplated adding a lid to the trailer but did not see enough benefit to justify the time/cost/weight etc.

andyf

Not much of an update. I was able to get the ends of the trailer cut and bent before heading home from work yesterday. I goofed up on one of the ends though. I made the short leg of one of the tops just a hair too long which caught the back side of my press and cupped the top rail. I think it will still look ok once completed. The plan is to tack the ends on to the trailer and then mark / cut the angled portions of the sides. Once fully welded I will finish the cuts for the tailgate and frame it out. I am planning on spinning the tailgate 180 degrees to use the inner lip as a handle.

andyf

This weekend turned out to be very productive for the trailer. I was able to get the ends welded on, spring hangers welded up and built a custom width axle. Now for the fun part! Grinding down all of the external welds on the corners of the tub. I am hoping to have it sandblasted within the next week or so.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Very Nice!!! I like the idea of reversing tailgate and using the "built-in" handle? How much do you think it will weigh? More pictures please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier