Camper construction?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
OK so I'm doing a totally custom one off job for myself in my garage on a 05 FG140 (starting to think I'm crazy at this point but). I will have two rectangular boxes 14' long one fits over the other and and will lift for head room. Been tossing around ideas for wall construction and as I was a welder for many years was thinking 2x2 aluminum square tube grid with alum skin and foam insulation. Have also considered glass construction as I've done some of that in the past as well, even looked at aluminum honeycomb paneling for light weight and ease of construction and thinner walls as I will have overlapping on each side incroching into the living space. Up for any thoughts or advice, thanks in advance.

Joaquin

Jfet

Adventurer
We went with a welded steel frame (0.062 and 0.125 wall thickness) with aluminum skin. That was very easy, I had the frame welded together in just a few weeks.

What would you use if you go all aluminum? MIG with a spool gun? I did our entire steel frame with a Miller 211.

fullframe.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
Fiberglass with foam core is the way to go if you have the skills. Very strong, no cold bridging, probably the lightest method.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Jfet

How did you fasten the alu to the steel and deal with the corrosion possibility? I was a tig welder for years gut will probably mig it.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Gait fun reading about your rig, lots of cool ideas I'm going to consider for mine.

Joe917 I agree, the time and complexity of the layup is a little intimidating to me.

dlh62c I'm very intrigued by you link, seems like a easy to work with solution. Have you worked with them before? I wounder if there is much insulation factor and I have a adverse reaction to using wood for longevity but if well sealed I'm sure it would be fine.

UK4x4 very nice and kinda what I was thinking with aluminum honeycomb paneling, has anyone worked with this stuff before?

https://www.google.com/search?q=alu...qxoQTNkIG4CQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979

Joe917

Explorer
My box was built professionally by a company in Italy that specialized in insulated boxes for refrigeration trucks.
Walls and ceiling: Fiberglass, 2 1/2" foam, fiberglass, 1/4"ply, fiberglass. Floor same but with 4" foam and 1/2" ply.(plywood side to interior).
Stainless steel corners were added to protect corners.
Perhaps you could find a similar company to build the box then cut doors and windows yourself.

Joe917

Explorer
IMG_0019.JPG
A quick pick showing the cut through the roof for a new fantastic vent. I just fiber glassed over the foam to keep out moisture. There is no reinforcement in the foam layers of the roof and walls that I have found. The builder placed 1" conduit around the top of the walls and down to strategic points for wire runs.

Jfet

Adventurer
Jfet

How did you fasten the alu to the steel and deal with the corrosion possibility? I was a tig welder for years gut will probably mig it.

I used a polyurethane glue called Sikaflex 252 to bond the aluminum siding to the steel frame. I also used 1/16" nylon spacers (cut up tie wraps) imbedded in the glue to keep a layer of Sika between the steel and aluminum.

I first tested this with a small mock up frame and after leaving it out in the weather a few weeks, hitting it with a sledge hammer, jumping on it, I still can't get the aluminum off the steel. I did put a hole in the aluminum and bend the steel with the sledgehammer.

I used 1 inch square rare earth magnets to hold the aluminum panels to the steel while the Sika dried.

It looked like this when done and then we painted it with automotive 2k epoxy paint (and covered the aluminum one piece roof with truck bed liner)

alumroof1.jpg

driverside.jpg

Last edited:

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Joe917 thanks for the pics and the link, looks very well built and it looks like you are doing some great up grades. I saw the exterior tire inflation system in your pics and have been looking at the same thing, I have to be able to lower my front end 4 inches to get through a ticket booth and this was one option but not sure I can get 4 inches from a tire.

Jfet this was the same general idea I'm thinking of going with but with aluminum tube and gluing a alum skin. Cool idea with the magnets. Did you go with steel for cost and did you insulate between the tube and or in the tube?

Thanks a lot for the responses.

Jfet

Adventurer
Jfet this was the same general idea I'm thinking of going with but with aluminum tube and gluing a alum skin. Cool idea with the magnets. Did you go with steel for cost and did you insulate between the tube and or in the tube?

Thanks a lot for the responses.

Steel was cheaper but the primary reason was that in my research it seemed that steel welds are easier to do with MIG (without a spool gun) and the welds hold up under stress better than aluminum welds. We insulated between the steel and on top of the steel so there are no cold bridges between the interior and the skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior