Yak Wagon

grogie

Like to Camp
Thanks! After doing some research on trailer security, I found several sites/videos that suggest installing car alarms in landscaping trailers. Against my better judgement, I ordered a cheap 2-way Chrimestopper car alarm. I also bought 3 magnetic switches. It was fairly easy to do the wiring and worked great for a few weeks. Then the alarm started randomly arming, randomly going off, and finally completely failed (all common issues of the cheap alarm).

My plan is to buy a better, more reliable system such as Viper.

I have a trip coming up (longest trip yet) and I have a few motels thrown in the route to just clean up, and my trailer sitting in a parking lot over night worries me as like yours, it's an eye catcher. I do have plenty of locks and even big *** chain, but all that can be defeated. I'd almost think a motion detector with a pager would be ideal to notify me and my Glock :).

hikingff77

Adventurer
First off, you must do a lot of kayaking! Does everyone in your family kayak every time you travel? It's a pretty cool set up, I love those fridges and Yeti's. I have two double 'yaks right now, but my kids are too young to venture out on their own. One day, when I get my jeep again, I hope to have a set up similar to yours.

Jlmo

First off, you must do a lot of kayaking! Does everyone in your family kayak every time you travel? It's a pretty cool set up, I love those fridges and Yeti's. I have two double 'yaks right now, but my kids are too young to venture out on their own. One day, when I get my jeep again, I hope to have a set up similar to yours.

We do go kayaking a lot! When I travel with my family, we only need 3 yaks. My kids are pretty young as well. My son, who turns six at the end of the month, just started paddling on his own (I didn't think this would happen for years, but he is a natural). My three-year-old daughter rides in a tandem with my wife or me. The picture above was from a trip with some friends...no kids.

Jlmo

New/2nd Drawer Slide

I am just about finished with a 2nd drawer slide (rt). The paddle box and the attached storage can me removed in minutes. The paddle box holds 5 yak paddles.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• 20141013_182228_resized_1.jpg
    20141013_182228_resized_1.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Jlmo

Agreed! I think the exterior looks great as it is, even without considering the color of the tow vehicle.

I wish I didn't need to coat the exterior. The problem is I'm in northern Illinois and the road salt from the winter is already causing oxidation. I suppose I could polish and clear coat it, but then it might be really shiny...

Jlmo

Yakima Basket

So I finally figured out how to make some use out of the inside lid. I added a Yakima Basket that I had sitting around. Works perfectly for bag chairs, tents, etc. and it is easily removed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Blue J

Jimbo
Which kayak rack are you using on the jeep? I am motivated to build a trailer primarily for hauling yaks. The other junk just makes camping more relaxing.

Jlmo

Which kayak rack are you using on the jeep? I am motivated to build a trailer primarily for hauling yaks. The other junk just makes camping more relaxing.

I use Malone SeaWings on the Gobi Rack. I have used them 3 seasons so far and they have been very happy with them.

Jlmo

Stove Mount

I had some extra aluminum lying around so I made a removeable mount/bracket for a Cook Partner Stove. When not using the mount, it flips around to be stored.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 33

Jlmo

Great build man! I'd love to how you built your slides, can we get some detail shots?

Thanks Drew!
The slides are really easy to build. I buy all my sliders from Orr & Orr. I bought the aluminum deck from a local supplier who recently went out of business (info in link for where I sourced a deck for my latest project). I used steel angle iron to mount the sliders (for the base) and aluminum angle iron for the deck to connect to the sliders.

I recently built a slide into my truck. If you follow the link below, you should be able to see where I sourced parts for the build.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...r-drawer-storage-system?p=2377048#post2377048

Let mw know if you would like additional pics or info.
Jeffrey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz