2004 Tundra Adventure Cab - Build/Adventure Thread

Cletus26

Adventurer
Hey Jose. I'm looking at upgrading my rear suspension on my 02 tundra. The Archive Garage stuff you have looks very nice. I'm just a little worried that my trucks too heavy loaded for the overland pack. I wondering if you've weighed your truck fully loaded?

lhanson

Adventurer
Hey Jose. I'm looking at upgrading my rear suspension on my 02 tundra. The Archive Garage stuff you have looks very nice. I'm just a little worried that my trucks too heavy loaded for the overland pack. I wondering if you've weighed your truck fully loaded?

Too heavy?? What are you planning on hauling???

Cletus26

Adventurer
Too heavy?? What are you planning on hauling???

I've got my RTT, rack, "drawer system"' with recovery gear, full armour, fuel, water, CO2, chainsaw, camp kitchen, 2 coolers, 2 people, 85 lbs dog, maxtrax, dual battery's, etc. When I weighed it I was pushing 6966 lbs which is 2500lbs over advertised curb weight. Not sure what the rear curb weight was originally though

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I've got my RTT, rack, "drawer system"' with recovery gear, full armour, fuel, water, CO2, chainsaw, camp kitchen, 2 coolers, 2 people, 85 lbs dog, maxtrax, dual battery's, etc. When I weighed it I was pushing 6966 lbs which is 2500lbs over advertised curb weight. Not sure what the rear curb weight was originally though

Wow you are heavy for an AC lol. I'm at 6000lbs which consists of armor. 10 gallon water jug. 50lbs tool box. 45qt fridge. Full gas tank. Topper. Puma compressor. Solar panel. Shovel. Axe. Basically everyday gear that stays with truck. The bed is empty at 6000lbs. This leaves me the option to fill my bed as needed. This means I can add up to 500lbs before springs drop below what they are rated for. Which is maintain 1.5 inch lift with 500lbs.

For you even at 7000lbs. Most your weight is in the bed which means the springs can hold the weight better. I probably have more weight in the rear bumper swing out and water jugs hanging off the rear than you do. The more weight you have not over the rear axle will push the suspension down more than normal.

So the overland springs was built or overbuilt for the weight. Since mine was on the extreme side of weight with the rear bumper. The overland springs should handle your weight just fine. I would highly recommend doing the shackle flip kit and extended shackles with the overland springs. This will give Additional flex and lift along with the spring lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
3000lbs front. 3000lbs rear. 50/50 with nothing in bed.

Should note weight does include rims and tires. I'm running FJ80 rims which if anyone ever pick up are super light for a 16x8 and my rubbers are 32s which I wanna say are around 40ish lbs each.

Cletus26

Adventurer
3000lbs front. 3000lbs rear. 50/50 with nothing in bed.

Should note weight does include rims and tires. I'm running FJ80 rims which if anyone ever pick up are super light for a 16x8 and my rubbers are 32s which I wanna say are around 40ish lbs each.

Thanks. I'm 50:50 as well when loaded at 3480/3480. I'm running pro comp steel 16's and 285/75/16 KM2's which are heavy as well

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So really my number would be close to your additional 500lbs?

Yeah. I think the overland pack will be good for you. Like I said most your weight is over the axle which will allow the springs to handle the weight easier.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Hoping to get this done soon. Works been busy so not much time to mess with the truck. Did manage to finish the water tank install.

1cbc22bdc42a1980e27aff8fe96b99ec.jpg
03210784bc327a62dd7674e769851066.jpg

bff10161a30d522b0774ee7c8aea4f12.jpg

8ca0602c87d97ec558d343ebd029fe7a.jpg
abb4fd5071b911ad784f09377b1fc133.jpg
9a01e1555998273900c133be660439b7.jpg

Also if Anyone is interested in the factory tundra LSD with 390 gear set front and rear. Selling for $200. Currently with ZUK in Arizona till next month. Can be shipped or pick up/ have Zuk install it into your diff.

0660b193baec9cee179d1a7d36b1edb3.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Oh forgot. Got all the spindles ready to go. Just need to find a time to have marlin crawler do the hub swap for me. Also said they might be able to do my cv axle as well.
0ca4c587990c2fe8aa16d8c4e1b5970f.jpg
c261c368cd7b0673d90e96e91c79357d.jpg

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm surprised you're doing spindle gussets.

Did you figure out if you're going to be able to re-use your half shaft and just swap the outer joint to the manual one?

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised you're doing spindle gussets.

Did you figure out if you're going to be able to re-use your half shaft and just swap the outer joint to the manual one?

Any reason for not doing the gussets? I tried turning the wheel with me holding them in place and not see how they interfere with the coilovers.

Spline count is correct so it should work. I'm gonna see if Marlin Crawler can get them apart and fused back together. If not CVJ said they would build me a set

smokeysevin

Observer
Any reason for not doing the gussets? I tried turning the wheel with me holding them in place and not see how they interfere with the coilovers.

Spline count is correct so it should work. I'm gonna see if Marlin Crawler can get them apart and fused back together. If not CVJ said they would build me a set

You are correct, the center shaft spline count is the same for the taco/tundra if they are oem, you just swap the outer on the hub side.

Sean

tyv12

Adventurer
That manual Hun conversion looks so killer but seems like the kind of job that the time and $$ would sure add up to complete

seanpistol

Explorer
Yeah there are definite pros and cons to it. I had the full setup to swap to manual hubs. Ended up selling it because the ADD hubs are stronger with their larger diameter and more splines. People swap to manual hubs and break CVs more frequently.

The BIG bonus to manual hubs is that if you break something, you can unlock the hub and fix it later. With the ADD axles, if you break a ring/pinion, you have to pull the diff, gut it, and reinstall it. Can't just pull your axles and drive home because they hold the hub together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior