2004 Tundra Adventure Cab - Build/Adventure Thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I am in the same boat, did you get the tacoma axles as remans or used?

Sean

Gonna use OEM. I finally source a set of OEM taco manual cv.
The OEM shaft spline count is 34 while aftermarket are 27.
I wanna keep my tundra OEM axles so I would have to use OEM taco outer cv to work

Only way to use aftermarket taco cv outer with tundra is to get aftermarket tundra cv axle as those will be 27

The picture above is mine and I took my factory tundra axle apart to compare to the aftermarket one and an OEM taco one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
4.56 or 4.88? I debate with myself constantly as I have 285/75/16 now but plan to go taller someday down the road...

I said screw it and went 488. Gonna get 35s as well

Depending on your year. I know someone with an 05 tundra with 488 and 33s. Does just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Also depends on what you like and what you're using it for. For a daily driver and highway commuter I'd rather have 4.56 with 35s.

tyv12

Adventurer
Mine at 120km/h runs at 2400rpm and when I'm towing with overdrive off it jumps to about 3300rpm. And that's with 4.56. That's about as high as I would want to be on the highway I'm pretty happy with the 4.56 but mine is a 5 speed transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Been meaning to change my brake lines to help the clearance with the coilovers.

a1e1e654975d8def3ce2e09b29416d37.jpg
1ce2b2237ca6f68d9327dfaf344d20ac.jpg
e41f90f4cdbbe56ff590536d5dbb1648.jpg
5eb9bc0dbfcd55f4992cbebb87fb62a2.jpg
8e82ec3b40090ff306708cce0022a11f.jpg

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Can you take a quick measurement of the length of those lines for me? I'll be getting some made from a local shop when I do mine later this year.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Can you take a quick measurement of the length of those lines for me? I'll be getting some made from a local shop when I do mine later this year.

Kinda hard to measured installed. With my most flexible tape measure. It's about 18 inches. You can just order the taco SS lines. They are actually a tad longer than the stock tundra.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Kinda hard to measured installed. With my most flexible tape measure. It's about 18 inches. You can just order the taco SS lines. They are actually a tad longer than the stock tundra.

Thanks. I'll look into that. Seems I can get em for about 75 USD shipped, or 90 CAD. Tho the shop up the road from me quoted me $100 for both, so I may just support local and go that way.

For stuff like that. I just usually cut piece of ripe or string and run it along the line, mark the end, and then lay it out flat on the table and measure it out. Easier that way.

Last edited:

Cut a length of string, yarn, twine, maybe even bailing wire, etc. use that to follow the line, then measure that? ;)

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Yeah I could have done that but didn't have any rope or string. I'll recheck it once I do so you guys can have a better idea if you want to go the custom line.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
732ac2ed5d5d8adf3a560672ff2f2e5a.jpg
36027dc6ff69cf11ecac3c3b164a0a0e.jpg

So I got this fancy tool to try and remove the outer cv shaft. Found out it didn't fit so I had to cut some of it to make it fit.
Clamped it down and I couldn't get it to work. Guess I'll have to do the pipe trick.
Wasted $20 on that tool that I had to modify and can't return anymore. Guess I keep it for some fwd cv axles when I do side jobs lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94