Thread: My Solo Wanderings of the West

Quote Originally Posted by chet6.7 View Post
    It's nice to see another update.Your perseverance is paying off,getting into an area that were closed on a prior visit.The time I tried to see the Brisltlecones the road was closed at a gate.The rangers were not anxious to check out the road to see if it was passable,the part I could see looked OK,it was early June so who knows.
    Thanks Chet. I also tried to head up there about the same time in 2014 and the area was totally closed beyond highway 168; it was already snowing like crazy in the higher altitudes. And last year it was late May when only the paved road to Schulmans Grove was open. I'm so glad I was finally able to see the rest of the area!

10* is cold,do you heat the van or just tough it out in a sleeping bag?
    A lot of people don't mind cold weather camping but I'm not one of them. I was going to stay in the valley but it was a last chance to stay in the mountains in piney woods until next year so I decided to brave one chilly night. Didn't expect it to get <that> cold! My coldest night yet.
    When the temperature dips down at night, the van stays at least 20 degrees warmer inside. If I know it's going to be cold I'll hang a thermal curtain behind the front seats; the smaller rear area stays even warmer. I will double up sleeping bags and wear extra clothes and wool socks so sleeping is quite warm and comfortable. It's getting up that's cold!

Quote Originally Posted by zb39 View Post
    Another awesome update. I'm sitting here with 6 inches of snow on the ground reading this. You mentioned fall weather, what month were you there? I hope you have heat in the van. At a minimum you could fire it up in the am to take the chill off. Safe travels.
    Thanks ZB. I'm a little behind in my reporting; it was late October when I was up there. Read on about my heater...

Quote Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
    Seems like a small catalytic heater, of the "mr. buddy" variety would be quite beneficial.
    I have a heater, a Coleman catalytic, 3,000 btu. I almost didn't bring it along this year because I use it so little, but it packs up pretty small, and it is nice when it gets cold. Even spending the winter along the southern border some nights can dip into the 20s. I may run it for a while on a cold evening, but I never sleep with it running; I will get up and light it then start making coffee, my little space warms up pretty quick.

My heater looks like this google image, except I've built a much bigger more stable base for it.

Portable-Coleman-Camping-Propane-Catalytic-Heater-5029-Indoor-Outdoor.jpg

Kenny,hang on to that heater,they are not made anymore.I have a Little Buddy,but it goes out with the slightest movement,or any wind at all.I suspect it has been lawyer proofed as much as is possible for this era....when common sense isn't common.
    14 Ram CTD 2500 CCSB 315/70/18 Toyo MT's,A.R.E. DCU

Kenny, wherever you are I hope it's warm It was -6 this morning at my house. Safe travels..
    2011 3500 crew, dually, Ram (sold)
    45' Zephyr DP, ISM (sold)
    1150 Artic Fox TC (sold)
    2016 RAM DRW crew cab Limited
    2011 KLR 650 sold
    2011 33 fiver(sold)
    2017 Host Mammoth Camper
    2018 RAM 5500 crew (ordered)

Kenny, wherever you are I hope it's warm It was -6 this morning at my house. Safe travels..
    Possibly sunning by the pool in my neck of the woods?
    Are we there yet?

My Rides:
    2012 RAM 3500 TCD
    2014 Arctic Cat Trail 700
    1999 Seaswirl Cordova 230

Hi ZB, thanks for looking out! I was waiting to reply until I had an update to post, but the days keep slipping by so I thought I would stop in to say hello. Yes it is warm; this is my third winter in this area and the best yet for weather with beautiful sunny days in the 70s and mild overnight temps.

Quote Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
    Possibly sunning by the pool in my neck of the woods?
    Pretty closeÖ not exactly the pool but the hot spring baths near Holtville CA.

Iíve been back and forth camping near Holtville and near the Cargo Muchacho mountains further east toward Yuma, camping free on BLM land in snowbird country. Holtville is great for the hot springs, the other spot for great dual sport riding on old mining tracks. I keep exploring the area and finding new routes through the mountains.

One of my desert campsites, even has a nice tree for shade. Here putting my new tilting solar mounting to good use, also I added a third panel a few weeks ago.

One of these days Iíll finish writing the updates to fill in the travel from when I left off.

Kenny, AWESOME!!! Glad you are where it's warm and nice. Sounds like the bike riding is great there. My wife and I love mountain views. I would post a pic of what it's like here but we all know what a foot of snow looks like. Take care.
    2011 3500 crew, dually, Ram (sold)
    45' Zephyr DP, ISM (sold)
    1150 Artic Fox TC (sold)
    2016 RAM DRW crew cab Limited
    2011 KLR 650 sold
    2011 33 fiver(sold)
    2017 Host Mammoth Camper
    2018 RAM 5500 crew (ordered)

Keep up the great posts - you are an inspiration. I doubt that I could ever be half the mechanic you are, but I totally dig the exploration, attitude and locales.
    Are we there yet?

My Rides:
    2012 RAM 3500 TCD

Kenny,

I am only forty pages into your journey...I am still in the Wayback Machine and don't plan on skipping a post but I wanted to offer my congratulations on your outlook and experiences. I had not planned on traveling with a small motor cycle until this thread; that and so much more.

To date, very impressive pictures and narrative...a better Travels With Charlie IMHO since your narrative is genuine...I am sure it continues in the same pleasant, open, honest manner, as real as a flat tire.

I am a 62 year old 5th gen Californian raised on a small ranch by a busy outdoorsman...we have been many of the same places and I will tell you I envy your ability to frame the moment.

Well done, Kenny. I am subscribed.

I'm gonna have to review some of your locations - I'm planning a month traveling up through eastern California to Oregon. I'll be pulling a 25 foot TH, but leaving the toy at home. If you have any recommendations for places to stop, I'm all ears.
    Are we there yet?

My Rides:
    2012 RAM 3500 TCD

Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119