Show me your "Adult" rigs and how you keep them running.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Thought this thread deserved a bump since my 2000 Ford Expedition is now an "adult".

I've done several camping trips and even a 4 night expedition to see the Great American Eclipse in the summer of 2017 using the COBDR and BLM roads in Wyoming. It proved to be a great rig for such a trip. My internal storage solution could use some improvement though.

227k miles on the odometer. Just did a 2400 mile road trip from Denver to San Diego. It's great on the highway (except for the 13 mpg). 15 hour days behind the wheel are pretty easy. It'll cruise at 75-80 mph all day long.

Just keep up on maintenance as needed. I just sent the injectors out to be cleaned and discovered one wasn't flowing at all. Replace parts with OEM or better when the time comes.

Choff

Adventurer
2005 GMC Savana AWD, with 190,000 miles and runs great for a daily driver and used for everything, have had 7 passangers belted in, and times have taken all chairs out and became a drywall hauler!!
been in 2' of snow and in 106 heat with it traveling.
Added 17" wheels and air bags in back. Handles like a dream
Change my own oil -running synthetic Mobil 1
Have a great Mechanic to keep it going-new plugs, wires, and hoses, changed trans fluid and filter, new slotted rotors and pads all around.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

yacobus

Scout

'74 Scout
Sadly only have driveway pics for now

VE pump Cummins
727 soon to be Getrag
D300
D61F
D71R
37 Toyos

Still need camp setup

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

old .45

Observer
"Adult" rigs...

Old trucks.... are just old trucks.... But when some one thinks the a human is not a so called "Adult" until the lat 20's or so, that kind of grinds my gears. Ever been in a fire fight with bunch of 20 somethings? I have..... and oh yes they are grown up and Adult's believe me. Just my .02 worth based on my experiences long before most the posters were born. :sombrero:

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Old trucks.... are just old trucks.... But when some one thinks the a human is not a so called "Adult" until the lat 20's or so, that kind of grinds my gears. Ever been in a fire fight with bunch of 20 somethings? I have..... and oh yes they are grown up and Adult's believe me. Just my .02 worth based on my experiences long before most the posters were born. :sombrero:

That's sorta what we're talking about...Old Trucks, right?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I love the look of that Landcruiser, so clean.

My 'Adult' rig ('85 C-10 longbed) is getting some valvetrain surgery this weekend, have to replace all the valve stem seals. And adjusting lash as I go through them all one at a time. I've done this work on the previous engine, before I killed it at ~300k mi by running it really low on oil and starving the top end on a high speed freeqay transition. Came out of it smoking and losing power. THIS engine, I'm 60k mi and many hot-run miles and the seals are cooked and I'm sucking in oil and failing hydrocarbons on my smog checks.

Also found a seal rebuild kit for my (original) steering box, which is like a Marine helicopter - 'when it stops leaking you know you are low on hydraulic fluid'

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Damn I love your Pig. Saw you heading West as I was heading East last summer or summer b/f last in Denver. Not only is this rig a work of art, you actually USE it. Awesome Pig Ron...

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, we built her to use and we're putting some miles on it. Headed back out West for the second annual Pig Party in June.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
2000 K1500 Suburban on 37" tires just turned 18

This is my daily driver, road tripper, overlander and fun truck. I bought it in 2013 with 100k miles on the clock, decided that I wanted to put 37s on it without a suspension lift and after 6 months of tweaking, trimming and massaging with a 5lb sledge this is what I got. With 250k miles on the clock it's still going strong even though I broke more than I fixed on the beast.

i7Oq66h.jpg

hotXc9H.jpg

CELTnKe.jpg

AFP front coilover conversion
3" body lift
4.10 gears
37" tires
Detroit rear locker
Dual electric fan conversion
CD/DVD player up front
CB radio
Custom budget roof rack, cargo basket and ski box
Ready to go on an adventure as is where is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles