Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The final trip to the property with the 32 foot trailer was a bummer. The F350 developed a lifter noise, and was seriously down on power. No time to diagnose it yet. Thinking it may be an oil pump?? Was stranded outside Ludlow, but I got everything towed to a friends, and the tow driver gave me a deal; have to concentrate on the positive. First thing that needs to be done is to haul away this old camper that is on the lot. Previous owner had no knowledge of it. Not sure if someone dumped it, but there are clear remains of a camp fire next to it. Squatters maybe? Upon closer examination it's a real shame. It appears to be what's left of a hard-side pop-up. It's sitting right where I want to park the trailer. I will have to rent a truck to bring the trailer up, and organize the rest of the fleet sitting there so I can work on getting a pad in. So much work ahead!

MRP10243 webres.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
F350 is a gasser isn't it? Collapsed lifter? Broken rocker?

Sorry to hear of the troubles....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The accommodations suck, but the view is great. The final leap into off grid living did not go as planned. The F350 was going to be my base since it had solar and all my tools on board. Had to go with plan B. Staying in the Uhaul, and using my colorado to charge my laptop and other electronic needs. It's been raining, and half of my stuff is someplace else. Going to bring the big trailer up this week so I have a sheltered place to work. No place to go but up. I am loving the fresh air and solitude. That is when my new neighbor Mack isn't around. At least he brings beer and drinks the good stuff!

The view out the back roll up door.

IMG_20191208_152544276 web.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Off grid log, day 10. Today was the first day that there was not some catastrophe that had to be dealt with or hundreds of dollars that needed to be spent. Did you know that Austin makes pepper jack cheese and crackers? Just because you have no cooking facilities does not mean you can't eat gourmet. A can of albacore packed in water, pepper jack cheese, and crackers, and an Arizona green tea with ginseng; it doesn't get any better than that. I spent a couple hours clearing creosote from the property with a shovel to make room for my next addition. Some of those had the biggest tap roots I've ever seen. If all goes well on Monday, just like that, I will become a tiny house owner. I promise no shabby chic, no hipster espresso maker, and no matching puffy jacket, just shelter. Looking forward to having something I can mount solar panels to, and build a composting toilet in. Going for a 10 x 20 lofted shed. Going to put it facing the most killer view of the mountains. My hats off to you who are living in truck campers or teardrop trailers. It's not easy.

Desert_Roaming

@pappawheely homesteading looks like an adventure. I don't know if you mentioned whereabouts in AZ or want to, but it looks nice. I'll be at the end of the goat trail in Parker for the 250 & 425, maybe swing by if you get time, shoot the breeze.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Update. I don't have any solar hooked up so I have to work with the generator running. After I shut it down, I scramble to get in bed because I have no heat either, and it's the only place to stay warm. You know it's cold when you have to put your drinks in your non-running fridge to keep them from freezing. And, I hear cattle outside. That's a new one for me.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Sure enough, I got a visit from Stu last night; Stu Meat. I heard a noise in the middle of the night so I jumped out of bed with my trusty revolver. I stopped to listen and heard footsteps in the rocky ground outside my truck. The moon was bright enough to catch a glimpse of Stu as he walked right past my door and over to my trailer. He had some big horns on him. I opened the door and yelled YAH! Git out'a here. I was flabbergasted when it actually worked, and he lit out towards the main road. You would think my well seasoned bar-b-que sitting outside would be enough to keep him away. I could use a good steak right about now. Sounds like a plan.

IMG_20191219_092905155.jpg

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That kind of looks like heaven right now....

During the day it's gorgeous. At night it's been 30 degrees :eek: The uhaul box has a nice bed I built into grandma's attic, but it's not insulated. All I have is one layer of the tin foil backed bubble wrap in the sleeper. The aluminum sheet that is the roof reminds me of an old school ice cube tray. To add insult to injury, I have a thermal coating on the roof that reflects the sun. Not only is it freezing cold at night, but it doesn't heat up when the sun is out. I use my colorado as a sun room during the day. My big buddy heater goes through a propane bottle in 30 minutes, and does not really heat the box. Luckily I found an oil tank heater in my storage so I use that during the day. I shut it down at night because I don't want to listen to the generator all night. It will stay warm for about 15 minutes after the gennie goes down. Next week it's supposed to rain so my Christmas present to me is a week in Laughlin in a hotel with food, and hot water. ?

java

Expedition Leader
Builds character

But yeah, get that thing insulated and solar going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online