Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Well, looks like I found a solution to my tire woes. I have a new set coming soon. I'm not looking forward to building 6 beadlocks. I know my hands will be buzzing for a day or so. Are there any Ford guys out there that could tell me what bolts up to my ZF 5-speed? I love that transmission, but I sure don't like the gas mileage of my 460. If there was a small block gasser that would work I might go for a swap. Diesel donor trucks and motors are too expensive where I live. Everyone thinks their clapped out truck is worth gold around here. Some of the ads I see are comical. Busted windsheild, no paint left on it, interior thrashed, mismatched wheels and flat tires, engine seized, great for restoration $6,000. It's a classic.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern from the 460 is different from the mod motors and all of the diesel motors. I don't think you're going to find a better motor to bolt to your existing ZF5. If you want to do a full drivetrain swap, check out fleet auctions. Lots of high mileage trucks, but every now and then a truck gets smashed by a skid loader or rear ended giving you an opportunity to grab a well-maintained drivetrain pretty cheap.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern from the 460 is different from the mod motors and all of the diesel motors. I don't think you're going to find a better motor to bolt to your existing ZF5. If you want to do a full drivetrain swap, check out fleet auctions. Lots of high mileage trucks, but every now and then a truck gets smashed by a skid loader or rear ended giving you an opportunity to grab a well-maintained drivetrain pretty cheap.
The problem is finding old stuff and that's one of the things I don't like about Ford; adaptability. I like their manual transmissions but not their autos.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I added another orphan to the worlds largest collection of potential projects. I could not pass up this $200 Trooper. No engine or transmission but the body is clean. Thinking of making it into a trailer to tow behind my other trooper.

IMG_20220928_172121160 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I made a nice discovery today. The diaphragm on my welding regulator was leaking. I went to my local Linde welding supply store to see if I could get a rebuild kit. It's only argon but apparently they don't sell kits. You have to send them out. 2 weeks and $75.00. They had new regulators there; $100 for the house brand, way over 2 bills for the Victor. I bought the house brand and when I opened the package; I got a nice surprise. Save your money!

IMG_20221223_151413097 copy.jpg

IMG_20221223_151423732 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I was just about to shut down my computer for the night when this image came up on my screensaver rotation. It was from a race in Pahrump, Nevada. I was out in deep silt beds all day. Unfortunately the race course avoided the silt; it was a powerline road and it would have been very dangerous because it went back and forth around power poles. I did hit one deep hole where the silt went over my hood. There was a videographer there who said he got the shot, but I've never seen it. Anyways, this was a cellphone pic I took looking in my side view mirror when I got back on the pavement going 75 miles per hour. I left a huge trail of silt for at least a mile! :ROFLMAO:

MRP_2990 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I’ve read in some tire descriptions that they have a feature that limits rocks getting stuck in the tread. Maybe that’s it? Can’t remember what it’s called.
Yes, I looked it up and those are rock ejectors. I did a lot of research before I chose these tires. I can't believe I missed that info on the stone ejectors. I've never seen something that looks like that. I'm in Arizona so I have to deal with rain, mud, snow, rocks, and lots of hwy miles because everything is spread out. The Patagonia's had something to deal with all of those variables. I was having a real problem with sidewall punctures on my last tires. The creosote was punching through my sidewalls like butter. The XT's have a three ply sidewall. I stayed with 37's but they make 38's and 40's. Lots of info on their website. https://milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-xt/

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been waiting for parts, and a weather window to get my new Patagonia XT's mounted. I got sidelined working on my Mom's car. Checking the brakes and one of the hub centric wheels was rusted to the brake drum. Rust blaster, heat, slide hammer; nothing worked. I even loosened the lug nuts and drove back and forth slamming on the brakes. No dice. I let it sit overnight and hit it with the torch in the morning when it was cold out. I've never had to put anti-seize on a wheel before; until now. Anyways, I picked up one of these tire machines to help swap the tires. Anyone ever used one? I don't want to mount it to the concrete so I have an idea to mount it temporarily to my tow hitch mount. I have to fab some parts to make it work.

69686_W5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles