Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Well done! My uncle always had Scouts and my parents had a Travelall. Not thrilled about the new ones being EV but it is what it is. Nice job and great pics!
I always like to be different. Everyone was into Camaro's so I got a Firebird. I like all brands; I own 2 Isuzu Troopers. I always liked the design of the Scout and the International trucks were built to last!

Wilbah

Adventurer
I always like to be different. Everyone was into Camaro's so I got a Firebird. I like all brands; I own 2 Isuzu Troopers. I always liked the design of the Scout and the International trucks were built to last!

I hope VW stays true to the design (which it appears they are). Sadly with VW's diesel debacle (and the bs we're seeing around fuel based vehicles) we won't likely see it but it would be awesome to see a small 4 cyl diesel in that vehicle IMO.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Trying to get my wood and aluminum angle monocoque camper shell done in time for expo west. I've been fighting this thing the whole way. Everything is constantly moving. Today I pulled it out of the garage with only one panel left to install. It buckled the frame of course. All that work and I thought it was down the drain. I put on the thinking cap and tipped it on the side with a piece of wood next to the buckle. I let gravity do the work and it twisted back close to where it was. Used a hammer and block of wood for more persuasion. I've used several types of glue, silicone, bonding agent; none has worked well. I ordered sika flex and it was hard when I got it. Tried some other stuff on the last panel so I hope it actually bonds. Sorry no photos but I didn't know it would actually work. Next time I will build a steel frame and skin it. This was way too hard!!!!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
So here are the results of my extensive panel bonding research. Bonding wood to aluminum. From top to bottom:

GE silicone. Just caulking really. No bonding strength at all. Not even that good for around the kitchen sink.

Liquid Nails. Dries hard. No flex. Not real strong of a bond either. Comes out like toothpaste so it doesn't stick on angles when applying. When joints fail the surface has a sticky, wet film on it like it never cured next to the aluminum.

Beats the Nail. About the same as the liquid nails on all accounts.

Diversatech silicone. Skins over in 5 minutes so not very good at initial bond. Very flexible. If You want to build up an area and then compress it like a gasket this works well.

Loctite PL 3X. Better than the rest but not real tacky when you initially bond.

Loctite PL MAX Premium. Premium price but overall winner. Applies well; flows good. Very tacky when bonding. This will sound strange but it dries flexible, but still able to sand it and even feather it into a surface. Too bad it was the last one I tried. :poop:

Vise grips, never fail.

IMG_20230513_165904200 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
My new camper is not going to make it to Expo West. We have been in a monsoon pattern like I thought we would. My days have been cut in half because it starts raining at noon. Today I could have done some work in the afternoon, but I had no way of telling that the rain would hold off. I got a little rain in the morning and plenty of black clouds, but nothing in the afternoon. The problem is when it does come down, it's a deluge. It pounds the ground! I did get everything painted and the roof coated. I still have to install the windows, make a pass through to the cab window, and put the latches on the rear door. And insulate the sleeping area. Still lots to do. What really kills me is that I have that new set of Milestar Patagonia XT's that I need to mounted on my beadlocks. If we get a monsoon all summer I'm going to need those to get through the washes. One good thing would be rain on my property so the ground isn't so dry. Time to build some swails out there and some holding ponds. Put some water in the aquifer.

csj

So here are the results of my extensive panel bonding research. Bonding wood to aluminum. From top to bottom:

GE silicone. Just caulking really. No bonding strength at all. Not even that good for around the kitchen sink.

Liquid Nails. Dries hard. No flex. Not real strong of a bond either. Comes out like toothpaste so it doesn't stick on angles when applying. When joints fail the surface has a sticky, wet film on it like it never cured next to the aluminum.

Beats the Nail. About the same as the liquid nails on all accounts.

Diversatech silicone. Skins over in 5 minutes so not very good at initial bond. Very flexible. If You want to build up an area and then compress it like a gasket this works well.

Loctite PL 3X. Better than the rest but not real tacky when you initially bond.

Loctite PL MAX Premium. Premium price but overall winner. Applies well; flows good. Very tacky when bonding. This will sound strange but it dries flexible, but still able to sand it and even feather it into a surface. Too bad it was the last one I tried. :poop:

Vise grips, never fail.

View attachment 778260
Looks like I'm a touch late with this but let me suggest one more, Sikaflex 1a.

I build things from sheet metal for my day job and have glued much metal to wood and this is what works best. If your doing large panels use a toothed glue spreader to get the Sika even with good coverage and keep it out of the sun until cured or it will lift and you'll get a bubble in your metal.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Looks like I'm a touch late with this but let me suggest one more, Sikaflex 1a.

I build things from sheet metal for my day job and have glued much metal to wood and this is what works best. If your doing large panels use a toothed glue spreader to get the Sika even with good coverage and keep it out of the sun until cured or it will lift and you'll get a bubble in your metal.
You're not too late. I ordered some Sikaflex 221 from amazon. When I tried to use it, it was already cured.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
After a major ordeal, I got my first window in the camper. It's tough when you have to figure this stuff out for the first time. Hopefully the next one's will be easier.

IMG_20230528_113954673 copy.jpg

This shell is just a big box. The truck is already a barn, not just a barn door, going down the road. On a recent trip back from Vegas it was an arm wrestling match the whole way due to the wind. I upgraded the factory rear bar with a Hellwig. I can't tell you what a difference it makes. I can drive with one hand again and that's important with a manual transmission. The Hellwig bar is simpler and lighter too. Can't wait to get this on the truck and out enjoying it.

IMG_20230528_113758036 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
After a major ordeal, I got my first window in the camper. It's tough when you have to figure this stuff out for the first time. Hopefully the next one's will be easier.

View attachment 780357

This shell is just a big box. The truck is already a barn, not just a barn door, going down the road. On a recent trip back from Vegas it was an arm wrestling match the whole way due to the wind. I upgraded the factory rear bar with a Hellwig. I can't tell you what a difference it makes. I can drive with one hand again and that's important with a manual transmission. The Hellwig bar is simpler and lighter too. Can't wait to get this on the truck and out enjoying it.

View attachment 780358
Needs more leaf springs...JK

Is that the factory leaf pack?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got the windows in on both sides of the camper shell. I need latches installed on the rear door. A pass through/emergency escape in the front wall so I can crawl into the cab and some windows in the front so the breeze can flow through. I think it also needs another coat of paint which I might change the color. This color has some green in it and I prefer more of a tan. Once it's on the truck I will install the insulation and build out the interior. This has been a lot more work than I thought and it's just a box.

IMG_20230617_143458783 copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier