Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a good cut line on this nose cone. The problem is that I don't have a flat surface to work from. I'm using a laser, but I can't just level the laser to the ground because it's uneven. Going to have to put on my thinking cap and fabricate something that will work. The more rocks I turn over, the more rocks I find underneath.

IMG_20231015_172732603 copy.jpg

ExpoMike

What if you put the nose cone vertical and then hang the laser over it with the line pointing down? Should take care of uneven ground issue.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
What if you put the nose cone vertical and then hang the laser over it with the line pointing down? Should take care of uneven ground issue.
Yes, That's what I thought too. I tried it but the laser does not wrap all the way around so I have to move it. It's not too hard to level a tripod, but not when it's on an irregular surface. I'm thinking maybe I could put down a flat piece of plywood. It doesn't have to be level, just flat and parallel to the base of the deflector.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
If done from the vertical method, you can use plum bobs to do the sides, using the reference point from the top corner.
Except it's not on a level surface. I don't have a surface that's level. I'm thinking I will set it on a flat sheet of plywood and make a fixture at the desired height that I can move on the plywood. I can slide it around the nose cone. If they can build pyramids, I should be able to figure this out. :ROFLMAO:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a good cut line on this nose cone. The problem is that I don't have a flat surface to work from. I'm using a laser, but I can't just level the laser to the ground because it's uneven. Going to have to put on my thinking cap and fabricate something that will work. The more rocks I turn over, the more rocks I find underneath.

View attachment 801259
What about cutting it larger than you want, then scribing against the ground or a flat surface so you get a good solid line?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I picked up a surprisingly flat piece of plywood at home depot today. I'll set the plywood on some steel tube then use that flat surface to measure from. Since the truck bed was empty, I decided to weigh it. Only the spare in the bed and one tank full it's 7260lbs.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Finally getting somewhere. I have the roof rack version 2 at about 90 percent.

IMG_20231109_112111846 copy.jpg

The nose cone tilts forward so I can use the space under it.

IMG_20231109_112406152 copy.jpg

Underneath I'm going to mount the diesel heater and tank. I will also mount another 100 watt solar panel on top of the cone. That will give me 200 watts all the time. My old set-up was 130 watts. The only thing I re-used from the original rack was the mounting feet and the aluminum extrusion. I had to narrow the extrusion to fit the new dimensions. I also lowered the rack closer to the truck roof for better aero. I'm anxious to get the box on the bed and start building the interior. Lots of work still needs to be done.

IMG_20231109_112347819 copy.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Rough mock up of the storage under the nose cone.

IMG_20231113_122541179 copy.jpg

I want the tank fill to be on the same side as my truck and I have this surge tank sitting around. The diesel heater need to go there so I can slide the camper window open, reach out and adjust it if needed. Why have a window that you can't see out of? Mostly for air flow and some indirect light. I'm not sure what will go into the bins, but it will be something light and something I don't mind getting wet. What are people using to duct the hot air? This unit came with some cheap cardboard tubes that will not be long enough.

IMG_20231113_122609095 copy.jpg

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Work, work, work. Progressing at the rate of parts arriving. It's getting cold. Thankfully it's been dry. I found these heater pipe connectors that I will use as bulkheads through the camper wall.

heater connector.jpg

I also ordered a pin connector but can't find my pin removal tools so I had to order some.

61ocjaIKrNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles