Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am going to have to redesign the rear spring hanger mount. I have the swaybar, bump stop and limit strap figured out but I am going to run the shock horizontally with a lever and pivot. The swaybar end links will bolt to tabs on the spring plate. The rear spring hanger will have to mount the shock body. I figure it might as well attach the mud flap as well. I am going to reach out to some of my connections in the truck building world to help design the cantilever. Time to look for some Yosemite Sam mud flaps.

The shock is just resting there but it gives you an idea where it will be.

Eventually it will be like this.

I love the pictures of the prerunner OBS, and your truck is looking great!

Been reading this thread a bit, and I may have missed it, what is to be gained with the cantilever shock? Is it a space thing, access thing, or just winning some cool points (because it definitely does have a big cool factor there!)?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Cameronswmp9​;2275522 said:
I love the pictures of the prerunner OBS, and your truck is looking great!

Been reading this thread a bit, and I may have missed it, what is to be gained with the cantilever shock? Is it a space thing, access thing, or just winning some cool points (because it definitely does have a big cool factor there!)?

It is a packaging thing. Since the cab & chassis frame is narrow, I have lots of room between the frame and tires. I can also run a much longer and larger diameter shock. That combination allows better damping performance.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
MIke,

Been awhile since I checked this thread, for some reason I wasn't getting email updates.:mad:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend Andy.

Thanks for sharing your awesome pics from Mint400, Best in the Desert, KoH, sunsets, etc. Really amazing.

Glad to see some progress on the rig.:sombrero:

That Steel-It coating is really neat. I used POR-15 on a frame ~10 years ago, and while it's really tough and holding up well, but it's a pain to get back to clean metal to weld. I had to grind it off in a few spots for welding and it is nasty stuff!

patoz

Expedition Leader
MIke,

Been awhile since I checked this thread, for some reason I wasn't getting email updates.:mad:

I stopped getting email notifications back in Sep 2016. I've sent four emails to Admin about it, and each time they say they'll check on it, but then...nothing...

mmp3823

Observer
I stopped getting email notifications back in Sep 2016. I've sent four emails to Admin about it, and each time they say they'll check on it, but then...nothing...

I have the same problem. So when I think about it I click on subscribed thread.

That suspension system looks very interesting.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
OK, well that explains it, I am not the only one not getting updates :smilies27
*note to self, check back manually*

I'm digging the air dam. Aside from being sleeker and more aerodynamic, it will take away the U-Haul boxy look. :sombrero:

More storage space, too, I'm interested in how that turns out as well.

Those OBS Fords look great!

The only access to the batteries will be the hinged door on the front right? No trap door in the floor. Doesn't seem like you would need one anyway if the charging and jumper posts are remotely located. Should be able to leave them there and just occasionally check that the hold downs are tight. Nice quality work you're doing.

I just bought a house with a couple acres so I'm one big step closer to starting on a box truck now that I have room to store and work on one.

u just bought a house.....in redmond....on a couple of acres......
that is the holy grail of living; a find so rare. congrats

where abouts? west toward eagle crest, north toward smith rocks? which ever, its paradise no matter which direction. my favorite area is east of terrebonne. or up in the grizzleys , but thats thirty miles east.
sorry for the hijack..couldnt resist.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been busy both in the shop and behind the camera. I began building the arms for my cantilever shocks on the rear suspension and then spent a couple days at the UTV World Championships.

Spent some time talking with Chris during tech inspection before the race. He is a real down to earth guy who was very frank about how the TV show goes.

A few race shots; lots of carnage and the dust was very thick. My eyes got hammered.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
No good deed goes unpunished. Some cars got stuck on our road so I went to pull them out. The guy I was rescuing seemed like he knew what he was doing (first mistake). I gave him the strap so he could attach it to his car. When I wasn't looking he instead used a short piece of ratchet strap instead. It broke instantly and the d-ring went right through the back window.

IMAG0231.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Sorry this happened Mike, but you know what they say when you assume?

I sure do, Ha Ha. That was a favorite in the engineering dept.

Ugh, no.good deed goes undone

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The guy is supposed to come by with a tractor and fix the rain ruts in front of the house so I guess it will end up for the better. That shell only cost me $75 and I got some good use out of it. I still have the really nice tailgater that is on my trailer.

IMAG0162.jpg

That sucks!! I bought a Suburban that had a similar idiot move done except it was a chain hooked on the edge of the bumper. Not only did it bend the bumper, it had a nice chain imprint on the liftgate and took out the lift gate glass. It was an easy fix with a self salvaged liftgate. Lucky it was same color.

But what sucks for you is that it is a shell. Probably cost more for the glass at a glass shop than what you paid for the shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan