Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Do you recall the brand of aftermarket headlight and turns signal you used on the F350? Are you happy with them? Did you paint the bezels or get them that color?
Thanks

They were cheap amazon units. They have deteriorated badly. The headlights work ok because I put HID bulbs in them. I have a friend who builds nice units but they come at a nice price. Not sure what I will do on my truck, considering something unique like a round light in the stock bezel. https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/7-vortex-led-headlight/

offroadrolls

Observer
They were cheap amazon units. They have deteriorated badly. The headlights work ok because I put HID bulbs in them. I have a friend who builds nice units but they come at a nice price. Not sure what I will do on my truck, considering something unique like a round light in the stock bezel. https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/7-vortex-led-headlight/

Thanks, I found a set of bezels and a grill in argent gray. I'm going to give them a shot for 70 bucks. I'll save my old stuff in case I need them. I can always paint them.
Did I read correctly that your going to scrap your F350 at some point?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks, I found a set of bezels and a grill in argent gray. I'm going to give them a shot for 70 bucks. I'll save my old stuff in case I need them. I can always paint them.
Did I read correctly that your going to scrap your F350 at some point?

Argent is the correct color. Yes, my F350 will be a donor vehicle. Some parts will go on the uhaul, others on the F250.

Seabass

Idiot
My very first Ford was an 88' F-250. It was probably the best truck I ever owned. I modified it every way possible. I beat it, I hauled stuff, packed stuff, four wheeled it, jumped it, and loved every second of it! Such an awesome truck. Good score!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
My very first Ford was an 88' F-250. It was probably the best truck I ever owned. I modified it every way possible. I beat it, I hauled stuff, packed stuff, four wheeled it, jumped it, and loved every second of it! Such an awesome truck. Good score!

Cool! I am planning on keeping the truck real simple. Going to make it into a stealth camper. It will look like a work truck.

java

Expedition Leader
Oh bypasses too! Fancy!

Can't wait to see it done and how it rides

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Is that upper shock and shackle mount going to strong enough hanging unsupported? Does it tie back underneath the frame rail?

Just getting started. I am going to incorporate the cantilever beam mounts into it too and include generous bracing. That's why I made it from tubing. It is definitely pushing my design and fabrication skills. It is the only way I can fit a position sensitive, large diameter shock. Since the cab and chassis frame is so narrow, it made sense to move the shocks outboard.

Oh bypasses too! Fancy!

Can't wait to see it done and how it rides

Those are just mock-ups. I am designing for a 10" travel shock.

java

Expedition Leader
Just getting started. I am going to incorporate the cantilever beam mounts into it too and include generous bracing. That's why I made it from tubing. It is definitely pushing my design and fabrication skills. It is the only way I can fit a position sensitive, large diameter shock. Since the cab and chassis frame is so narrow, it made sense to move the shocks outboard.

Those are just mock-ups. I am designing for a 10" travel shock.
Similar shock with bypasses though? Honestly I think they can really play a great role with heavy trucks. Gives a lot if valving options, lighter for initial small travel, heavier as needed higher up in the stroke

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Similar shock with bypasses though? Honestly I think they can really play a great role with heavy trucks. Gives a lot if valving options, lighter for initial small travel, heavier as needed higher up in the stroke

I am interested in position sensitive valving but don't really need to adjust constantly. I will probably go with an internal bypass design. They have less moving parts and are more protected from damage. King, FOX, Sway-a-Way, Bilstein, we are spoiled by the abundance of shock technology available today.

java

Expedition Leader
Sounds great, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. We are definitely spoiled by good shocks these days that's for sure

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The design I was using copied someone else's. I figured it would be safer to use something proven. Well, it was not working out. Decided to work through it in solidworks. I came up with a much more compact and simpler design. Now I have to fabricate new arms but I think I'm on the right track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles