Project "Autonomous" F-350

Petrolburner

Explorer
That's a good reminder of the dangers of winching and snatching. I'll never let anyone use a chain with me and I carry a variety of shackles and two different snatch straps. Also, don't loop the snatch strap around a tow ball. You'd think that big chunk of metal would be fine but I guess it's not hardened. A coupler doesn't have enough slop to get much of a jerk on it, but a snatch strap and a few feet of run up can shear the ball off. I had no idea until I read an article in some Overlanding mag on recovery dos and don'ts.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been swamped with work and unable to get into the shop for any real progress. I did spend a little time trying to imagine the redesigned rear shackle mount. The new mount will locate the shackle and also incorporate the pivot mount for the cantilevered shock and the upper shock mount. Like any design, simplicity is the hardest thing to achieve. My FiberwerX front glass should be done soon. I hope it will be ready next week as I will be in Laughlin for the BITD race this weekend. Busy, busy, busy.

We had some striking conditions for the race last year.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Great action shots as always.

I'm sure the box work is well down the line, but I'm still up for helping out with it when it's time. I'm finally about ready for my small road trip up the 395, just have to make the platform extension for sleeping in back. Got the rest of my electrical stuff done (for now, small scale rooftop solar planned down the line).
Was just messing with LED strip lights, 12VDC native, you should consider them for your box interior lighting, if you haven't already. Very low power usage.

LIftgatelights04_zps5bfjjhx7.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Great action shots as always.

I'm sure the box work is well down the line, but I'm still up for helping out with it when it's time. I'm finally about ready for my small road trip up the 395, just have to make the platform extension for sleeping in back. Got the rest of my electrical stuff done (for now, small scale rooftop solar planned down the line).
Was just messing with LED strip lights, 12VDC native, you should consider them for your box interior lighting, if you haven't already. Very low power usage.

LIftgatelights04_zps5bfjjhx7.jpg

Thanks, yes I can use your help on a couple things. I have a roof rack that will go around the perimeter of the truck box roof. The rear portion will have the solar panels. On the middle section I would like a combination shade cover and platform. I was hoping we could make something that would not flap in the wind and support the weight of a couple people sitting on it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I think the catamaran-style deck will be the way to go. Especially if you have a good sturdy frame, possibly with a cross brace in the middle, but we could try it without, first, see if the fabric tension will be enough. I still haven't got around to doing my own prototype yet, using 1000D nylon. Thinking to use regular eyelets and paracord to stitch it to my Z71 rack. I just recently re-installed my hard deck, working thru a few tweaks trying to reduce its wind noise, before I probably remove it again. The worst noise is ********** dab in my speed 'sweet spot', around 72mph. Just won't do. So I'm finally on the cusp of the fabric order for both a catamaran style and for material to enlarge my awnings. Now that I've got a bunch of other projects wrapped up maybe I can finally spend the money on the fabric.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am close to pulling the drivetrain out of the F350 for installation into the Uhaul. I picked up this 88 F250 4x4 for $350 to use as a daily driver. The F250 needs an engine so the 460 out of the F350 will go right in. It's going to be hard for me but I'm going to keep the bricknose all stock.

offroadrolls

Observer
Do you recall the brand of aftermarket headlight and turns signal you used on the F350? Are you happy with them? Did you paint the bezels or get them that color?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94