Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Thanks for all the suggestions. The thing that makes me mad is having to go back and reload all the photos. I did the first couple of pages but some will be lost from the build thread. I have most of it but the time involved.... Who is the idiot at photobucket who thought this was the way to go?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
This has been a difficult month. Not only did I get screwed by photobucket, but I am typing on the 5th new laptop I have purchased in the last 4 weeks. Hopefully, the fifth time's a charm. Each time I have had to reload all my programs. Validation fails because they think I'm running the software on too many computers.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Mike, what ticks me off about Photobucket (besides the obvious) is they are the ones who are in 'breech of contract'. When we first signed up we agreed to use the website and follow a certain set of rules and view the advertisement posted there. In turn they would host our pictures for free.

I can understand them changing their policy and deciding to charge for their service from a certain point forward, because companies do this all the time. But for them to hold our existing files hostage, and demand a ransom to make them viewable again is downright dirty pool. Basically, what they are doing is making their new fee retro-active all the way back to the day they started business.

As many forums as there are, I'll bet if a bunch of people got together with the right attorneys, they would have grounds for one hell of a lawsuit.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Agreed Pat. I don't know how retroactive charging of fees can be legal. I'll bet they get sued for this. I want to know who the genius is that thought this was a good idea. People are going to go somewhere else just on principle.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have a PB account, but haven't used it for anything in a long time. Back in the early days of forums, using a third part hosting service was the only way to place pictures in a thread.

Fortunately for me, I used the ExPo forum built in picture uploader for all of my photos in my thread, even though uploading them one at a time is a real pain in the rear end. vBulletin software has the capability of uploading multiple pictures at one time, but it has to be enabled. I guess the Admins have a problem with that for some reason.

I like build threads with lots of pictures, but last night I found myself just scanning through several of them, because without the pictures most of the text made little sense.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well after screwing around a bit thru the holiday weekend and since, I can't find a good photo hosting solution that will allow me to keep my own file names. Flickr, IMGUR, smugmug all look ok for fresh stuff going forward, accreting over time, but totally unworkable for replacing 1500++ old images in many topics. And I'm concerned that those services will eventually go the same way photobucket has, under an increasing load.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been super busy lately but still plugging away. Once I start pulling parts from the f350 I will need a daily driver so I've been making plans for the 88 F250. I will pull the bed off the blue truck to use on the white F250. This truck will have a camper shell on the back and be set up for remote travel. It is getting the 460 from the F350. I am modifying the intake manifold so I can run a quadrajet carb. Going to keep the electronics to a minumum. The C6 trans and stock drivetrain will remain. Going to do a home made shackle reversal and install some Atlas springs. Here is a shot of the dual 38 gallon fuel tanks that will be mounted in the bed. They will tie into a single electric pump and the system includes a fuel water separator.

IMAG0348.jpg

After making assumptions on what the suspension was doing and designing the cantilever rear shocks I took my rear springs apart and actually cycled the suspension. What a dope I am. The suspension was not travelling anywhere near what I thought it was so my calculations were way off. Since I would have to extend the bumpstops, it left room for the shock bodies between the frame and leaf springs so I am going with a traditional upright shock mounting. I did have a chance to grind down the rear 2/3rds of the frame rails and coat everything with Steel-It. I love the stuff, it's changed the way I work. Once I build a part, I coat it. I know I can make changes and touch up areas later, it's awesome for someone like me who builds in stages.

IMAG0303.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I wound up reanimating my old domain name (rayra.net) and arranged some hosted space and am transferring my image data structure there and tediously re-editign topics to restore functional images. Gives me a headache when I do it, bouncing between apps / windows, editing posts. I get 1-3 topics done a day, in short stints. It's working, but what a pain in the ***.

Those two tanks, that's ~1000mi range? Plus the stock tank or are you replacing that with a water tank? Those tanks would look real nice polished up. Aluminum? If the shell is tall enough they'd make good benches, too. Or could fab some fitted wood slat tops for them, akin to military truck benches.
What sort of retention brackets or frames are you making for the tanks? Angle iron would work to trap them by the ends. Or even saddle straps would work well enough. But would do well to tie to the frame rather than just the bed skin. That's a lot of weight trying to throw itself around.

A shame I'm not closer, would love to help with the fabrication stuff. Lots of interesting projects and materials. 70-90mi is just too far for me to go often / regularly. But I'd be happy to help if I can. I could fabricate things here and bring them out partially completed to be fitted. Or come out and plan / measure something out and fab it at home. Especially any woodworking or fabric projects.
I just pulled my roof deck this morning, prepping for the MkII version. Sorely tempted to try the fabric deck while the wood and metal bracing are off. Too, the pulled wood decks would really serve as a nice pattern for sewing the fabric / catamaran deck. Either way, I pulled it off heading into peak summer, like an idiot. Got to get something back on there quick.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Love the fuel tanks. I had a 40 gallon spare in the back of an old p/up I had and with 56 gallons great not to be able to outdrive the fuel capacity. I was driving MA-CO a lot then so it was great. Also great to be able to plan for gas prices. I use the Gas Buddy app now and can really plan for where and when I buy fuel to save costs. Also I'm a Sam's member and now find I can plan using them for trips. Saving $0.05 a gallon (or sometimes a lot more depending on the state and their gas tax) is big when you're buying 50 gallons or more.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I wound up reanimating my old domain name (rayra.net) and arranged some hosted space and am transferring my image data structure there and tediously re-editign topics to restore functional images. Gives me a headache when I do it, bouncing between apps / windows, editing posts. I get 1-3 topics done a day, in short stints. It's working, but what a pain in the ***.

Those two tanks, that's ~1000mi range? Plus the stock tank or are you replacing that with a water tank? Those tanks would look real nice polished up. Aluminum? If the shell is tall enough they'd make good benches, too. Or could fab some fitted wood slat tops for them, akin to military truck benches.
What sort of retention brackets or frames are you making for the tanks? Angle iron would work to trap them by the ends. Or even saddle straps would work well enough. But would do well to tie to the frame rather than just the bed skin. That's a lot of weight trying to throw itself around.

A shame I'm not closer, would love to help with the fabrication stuff. Lots of interesting projects and materials. 70-90mi is just too far for me to go often / regularly. But I'd be happy to help if I can. I could fabricate things here and bring them out partially completed to be fitted. Or come out and plan / measure something out and fab it at home. Especially any woodworking or fabric projects.
I just pulled my roof deck this morning, prepping for the MkII version. Sorely tempted to try the fabric deck while the wood and metal bracing are off. Too, the pulled wood decks would really serve as a nice pattern for sewing the fabric / catamaran deck. Either way, I pulled it off heading into peak summer, like an idiot. Got to get something back on there quick.

Figuring for 10 miles to the gallon, the range will be around 760 miles. I will build a frame that locates the tanks and serves as a bed platform with a slide out drawer or two underneath. This is going to be my mexico truck. I've been covering the NORRA rally from the states for the last two years and I'm really wanting to go down there next year. Once I start working on interior stuff, I will have some stuff for you; thanks!

Love the fuel tanks. I had a 40 gallon spare in the back of an old p/up I had and with 56 gallons great not to be able to outdrive the fuel capacity. I was driving MA-CO a lot then so it was great. Also great to be able to plan for gas prices. I use the Gas Buddy app now and can really plan for where and when I buy fuel to save costs. Also I'm a Sam's member and now find I can plan using them for trips. Saving $0.05 a gallon (or sometimes a lot more depending on the state and their gas tax) is big when you're buying 50 gallons or more.

I have a pilot card that saves me .02 a gallon. It makes a huge difference, especially when you have several hundred miles to travel and you know you are just pouring money through the motor to get there.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I got the entire fuel system designed and parts ordered. Twin tanks in bed. Fuel will gravity feed independently through a solenoid on each tank. The manufacturer has told me that the solenoids will work with gasoline but I plan to test them before I commit to using them. I realize there is an issue with gravity feed but nearly every fuel cell made draws from a sump in the bottom. I can run off of both tanks at the same time or either left or right. They will both dump into a 2.5 gallon surge tank. From the surge tank, the single line will go through a 30 micron filter into the electric pump. The electric pump will push the fuel through a 10 micron fuel water separator/filter and then to a pressure regulator with gauge. A return line will go back to the surge tank. I got matching fuel level senders and a single pole, three terminal switch so I can select the tank that I want the single gauge to read. I have learned a lot about fuel systems lately, one thing I am most certain about is to not use any chinese fittings. Some of the components are ok, but the fittings are complete junk and don't match any internal threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94