Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
What you are describing sounds like what is known as Death Wobble. That is completely different that tire balance vibration. Death Wobble is akin to a loose wheel on the front of a bicycle. Most Death Wobble causes are from loose or worn steering components even poor caster alignment. Most rather than finding the root cause, will use steering stabilizers sometimes even multiple stabilizers to control it. Stabilizers are just a bandaid for the problem in my opinion.

It could be a lot of things but I agree it sounds like death wobble. Is it independent front end or straight axle? When you lift trucks and put big heavy tires on it you need to upgrade your steering linkage. New parts work for a while but they usually wear prematurely. Centramatics work well for balancing the tires but if you get past a certain diameter and the tires are worn you will get some imbalance. They can only do so much. My 37's on a 17 inch rim are over what they recommend. When my tires were new, they were smooth as silk. Once the tires got some chunks out of them and some mud packed in the wheels you can feel some vibration. I think 35's would be much better.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Bird looks good, Mike.

question for you on cameras, IS there such a thing as a dash mount for a DSLR? I recall we talked about such a thing briefly when I visited, but I don't recall the answer or conclusion. Just / finally got myself a budget Canon today and already thinking of ways to rig it / support it in my Sub.

/But probably ought to just get a GoPro for such a purpose.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Bird looks good, Mike.

question for you on cameras, IS there such a thing as a dash mount for a DSLR? I recall we talked about such a thing briefly when I visited, but I don't recall the answer or conclusion. Just / finally got myself a budget Canon today and already thinking of ways to rig it / support it in my Sub.

/But probably ought to just get a GoPro for such a purpose.

Get a ram mount and a remote shutter release. https://sleeklens.com/best-11-camera-shutter-release-remotes/ https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/78708/Flying.html

rayra

Expedition Leader
hmmm... the way the GMT800-series dash bezl fits on, I could engineer a semi rigid bracket that bolts to the dash bracketry and rides on teh dash under some spring tension, something like a woodworking bench clamp. And have a RAM clamp on it and the 1/4-20 ram ball base on the camera.
And I've already been playing with the canon smartphone app and its remote shutter control.
Already have extra batteries and LCD scree protectors and a 64Gb card coming. Going to shoot the hell out of this thing to (re-)learn everything I can do with it. My last 'real' camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 Program. Been nothing but pocket digicams and iPhones since.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Oh yes, I was hot sheet when I got my motordrive for my A1. 3 frames per second! 64 gigs is great. I can remember shooting a crash sequence and hoping I had enough frames of film left in the camera. Now I shoot all day with a 32 gig card.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Going to shoot the hell out of this thing to (re-)learn everything I can do with it. My last 'real' camera was a 35mm Canon AE-1 Program. Been nothing but pocket digicams and iPhones since.

What Cannon did you get? I just got a T-6s about 9 months ago, and I'm trying to learn it also. What's ironic though is, I'm coming from a 35mm Canon AE-1 Program also, which I still have. Since then it's been one HP digital camera and cell phones, until I got the Cannon T-6s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles