can it be done?

Raul B

Explorer
So i see all these custom campers being made and put on flat bed full size vehicles. my question is wouldnt it just be easier to get a small travel trailer, remove it from its frame and mount it on top of the flat bed or on top of the frame of the full size vehicle. By full size vehicles im talking about F350+ vehicles that can handle the weight.

-Raul

BlackWidow

Observer
I think anything can be done. When i was building my off road pop up i had seriously considered mounting it to a flatbed on the truck. The biggest issue i had was that it was quite wide and would have not been good for any type of trails that were tight. Still i have seen a pop up that i think would work and am considering that option for the future.

Raul B

Explorer
I think anything can be done. When i was building my off road pop up i had seriously considered mounting it to a flatbed on the truck. The biggest issue i had was that it was quite wide and would have not been good for any type of trails that were tight. Still i have seen a pop up that i think would work and am considering that option for the future.

well the truck i have been eying is a F450 dually with a service flat bed. i havnt taken any measurements but its pretty wide. i would say its wider than my old toy hauler. The truck is seling for 5k (7.3L diesel). for another 6k i can find a decent used travel trailer or toy hauler that could fit it. heck a fith wheel version might even work with the fith wheel part over hanging over the cab. (with removing the 5th wheel mount)

It just seems like such an easier solution....

BlackWidow

Observer
Can you get any measurments of the trailers you are looking at? That is really going to be the deciding factor. I think its a great idea.

This is what i am thinking of. I have not taken any measurements so i am not sure it will fit. I know I could probably build a narrow version of this.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The issue would be the build quality of the trailer. Most will not handle continued rough road use. If you feel that an "off the shelf" trailer will fit your needs, then it is a viable option. There have been a few builds that have a trailer mounted on a Fuso chassis.

Keep us updated on this project!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
It would be cool to take something like a Scamp or Casita camper and put it on a flatbed on a truck. I saw a picture once of a Scamp mounted on a pontoon boat like this once.

rlrenz

Explorer
I think overall height might wind up to be a problem. I'm facing that with a rooftop AC on my medium ambulance. I'll be legal with the AC, but lower always means fewer problems with trees/etc. That's why I'm looking at a component system--separate compressor, separate condenser, separate evaporator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne