Autohome Airtop 2 Year Review

Honu

lost on the mainland
those straps almost remind me of old school snowboard buckles :) ours used to have this metal base with a piece you would slide in seems a better design could be made where you could just have that setup a metal base and slide in the new plastic part that needs to bend and be flexible :) or just make it adjustable all metal buckle style ?
used to have to replace our rental boards like every season a few times it seems just could be a idea to look into :)

Colin Hughes

Explorer
The one thing I've seen with Autohome is they tend to take feedback and work at making their product better. I've sold a few Airtops and I've made it quite clear before anyone plunks down their money that the latches can be difficult to work and that if you are not careful opening and closing the tent, the struts can also damage the tent fabric. I still try to steer anyone looking towards a Maggi or a Columbus.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
fubuki - I forwarded this thread to AutoHome Italy. They replied as follows:

Dear Mr. Spies,

I am sorry if your customer felt let down, please inform him that we are sorry for this inconvenience which only very rarely has occurred, after thousands of Airtop produced.

We can send him by Dhl the replacement closures as soon as you give me his address (full name, address, phone number).

In the meantime could you please ask him the serial number of this Airtop, we do need it to check on production file

I remain at full disposal and thank you in advance for your cooperation,

best regards
Cristina

I have asked Andrew to forward the spare strap kit to you. If you experience any further concerns, please contact me directly by e-mail.

Again, I apologize for the concern we have caused you. We are always trying to improve our products and service.

Mike

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
fubuki

We got your mail - sending straps.

As for communications -- discussed this with Andrew. The reason that you did not receive an email response from Andrew is… HE LEFT YOU A VOICEMAIL ASKING YOU TO CALL HIM BACK SO HE COULD WALK YOU THROUGH THE REPLACEMENT PROCESS - PARTICULARLY THE RIVETING PROCESS. He never heard back from you… and (rightly or wrongly) figured that you had changed your mind.

Andrew, myself, and the people in Italy have offered to help you and resolve your concerns. Please take advantage of our offer.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

cwadej

just a guy
First, thanks for this. I just ordered my Airtop.

Now I'm off to read the thread in detail.

and now...
Learned a lot, about the company, and the tent.

Maybe I'd rather have an Airland vs and Airtop?

Last edited:

cwadej

just a guy
The one thing I've seen with Autohome is they tend to take feedback and work at making their product better. I've sold a few Airtops and I've made it quite clear before anyone plunks down their money that the latches can be difficult to work and that if you are not careful opening and closing the tent, the struts can also damage the tent fabric. I still try to steer anyone looking towards a Maggi or a Columbus.

Can you elaborate on this?

is it a thing not possible with the Airland due to mechanism difference?

fubuki

Observer
fubuki

We got your mail - sending straps.

As for communications -- discussed this with Andrew. The reason that you did not receive an email response from Andrew is… HE LEFT YOU A VOICEMAIL ASKING YOU TO CALL HIM BACK SO HE COULD WALK YOU THROUGH THE REPLACEMENT PROCESS - PARTICULARLY THE RIVETING PROCESS. He never heard back from you… and (rightly or wrongly) figured that you had changed your mind.

Andrew, myself, and the people in Italy have offered to help you and resolve your concerns. Please take advantage of our offer.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sending out the straps. As for the the voicemail, I never received it. I checked the email I sent and the number was correct. Maybe a miss dial? Either way I appreciate the response to this.

I was out on trip this weekend with a guy who owns a 10 year old Mag that's been to hell and back and is still going strong. He's punched a hole in the shell and patched it up and it's doing fine. I was checking out his tent and noticed he had patched numerous holes in the mesh screens and he told me it was getting brittle with age. I decided to take a look at mine and sure enough there are few holes in my screens as well. It wasn't very apparent unless you're looking, but doesn't appear to be from a puncture. Almost like it cracked. I'll try to get a picture of it today and send it to you. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for patching screens? The guy with the Mag just used some black tape, but I'd like something a little less conspicuous.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
RE:struts damaging the fabric.. im thinking of putting some sort of sleeve to protect the fabric from getting pinched....

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Can you elaborate on this?

is it a thing not possible with the Airland due to mechanism difference?

Seems to be the tent material getting pinched by the strut when the tent comes down if not done carefully. I haven't had any issues with folks who bought Columbus models but it seems there have been a couple of instances with the Airtop.

concretejungle

Adventurer
just FYI the james baroud tent has a padded fabric around the folding struts just for this very reason. Seems like no matter what, there is going to be some amount of tent fabric that will get pinched in the scissor lifts but at least the fabric over the metal struts keeps it from getting pinched and damaged.

So, i would say if you could put a sleeve around the hinge struts it might be worth a try.

cwadej

just a guy
I think I may be getting the same "customer service" that fubuki was getting. unanswered emails. Tried an IM here. No answer here, I'll give my money to a different company.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Mike,
...I decided to take a look at mine and sure enough there are few holes in my screens as well. It wasn't very apparent unless you're looking, but doesn't appear to be from a puncture. Almost like it cracked. I'll try to get a picture of it today and send it to you. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for patching screens? The guy with the Mag just used some black tape, but I'd like something a little less conspicuous.

The screens can be repaired of course by using tape or patches. Note, however, they the screens are connected to the tent at the top by a 'hook and loop' strip. They can very easily be removed and replaced - and yes, we do have replacement screens. It's the real world and stuff happens.

StopDrop

Mike do you have patches for the tent fabric on a grand tour? My tent is pretty old now and has seen somewhere near 60K+ miles of travel, most of it is holding up really well but there are a couple spots that are abrading from me not packing it well enough.

Rooney

I have five trips under my belt with my Airtop. After my first trip I lost a strap block due to rivet failure. I also have noticed the staining on the fabric due to aluminum oxidation not pleasant to look at but I put up with it. The hydraulic lift system needs updating for fabric protection. I would give my Airtop a 7 due to the fact that it does not wear very well. I do like the convenience of setup and takedown. After shipping I ended up paying $3700 it would've been worth it if the above problems weren't a issue. Let's face it who wants to come home from a trip and service their tent not me! Okay so there is no perfect tent but for $3700 I did expect more. I made a few calls with my concerns I did get answers just not the answers I was looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier