Offroad Meteorite popup camper build w/ cross country 6k mile trip to follow

This is a completed build, with a trip writeup to follow and lessons learned along the way. To start I'm from NY, and have been wanting to go out west for a long time. I was reading about trails in Colorado and Utah before i could drive. 15 years later... married, 1 1/2 year old son, 9yo dog... a tent and a coleman stove wasn't going to cut a cross country trip.
The plan: Small popup camper on a military trailer, ready for anything.
Basic M116 military Generator Trailer $300.
2000 Starcraft meteorite Popup Camper bought in December $1000
The camper is small, has heat, and a fridge.
I removed the bed and cut out the wheel wells
IMG_0843.jpg
Then mocked up the wheel wells
IMG_0864.jpg

I welded frame supports (width) and bolted them to the military frame. The Camper is much wider than the military frame and at this point i was thinking i could separate the camper from its original frame But it is screwed into the frame in so many places, plus the lift cables, i decided to cut the axle mount off and just slide the popup onto the military trailer.

Last edited:
I didnt like that the axle wasn't as wide as the camper . I use a M116 as a firewood trailer and fully loaded it can get pretty tippy (side to side) as you are going down the highway. I figured a wider stance would be better. I cut the axle, welded a pipe inside the axle with plug welds throughout. Then Sleaved the axle with two halves of pipe, welded them together, and plug welded them. So i cut the axle, slide two pieces of pipe over the axle, slide a piece of pipe inside the 1/4" thick axle... welded the inside... welded the outside...
View attachment 234798View attachment 234798

Wasn't crazy about the leaf spring to backing plate distance. At this point i have a ton of time invested in making the military trailer work. Pros are the frame, axle, hydraulic surge brakes are all stout, and pintle setup is great offroad. Cons are the axle, huge brakes, massive drums, added axle pipe, and heavy tongue surge brakes weigh a ton. When i built the bolt on frame extension i made provisions to be able to carry a small motorcycle or dual sport on the back of the camper.

Thanks Mark, I saw your build when i was doing research for this project. I reached a point where if i removed all of the military stuff to save weight there there would have been no point in using that trailer. Ive seen threads about just lifting a popup and the frame not being strong enough to use offroad. Now, knowing how much weight matters and that we didnt get too far offroad with the camper on our trip, a simple axle lift, electric brakes, and a ball hitch would have worked fine.

zjrog

Observer
I like where this project is going. Just bought an unfinished 84 Starcraft trailer similar in shape to the OP's project. So looking for ideas for lift. Already planning to replace the torque/flex axle for one with brakes. I'd like to match wheel and tire size to my Jeep. So a lift and cutting bigger wheel wells is a must...

More of this project and trip please!

silvrzuki77

explorer
I am about to do this exact same thing. Looking at a pop up today a $1000 for that 09 starcraft? Holy crap thats a steel!!! I have a almost perfect M116A3 with the wider axle I was contemplating on using.

Subscribed!

I lost most of the pictures of the trailer before the camper was put on it, and welding the axle.
This is one of the frame extensions, kind of like building a rock slider.
IMG_1288.jpg
This is the axle after it was sleeved.
IMG_1289.jpg

While planning for the trip we thought it would be cool to bring a motorcycle. This way one of us could follow along on the bike while the other drives the jeep/camper. I figured it would break the long drives up and easy to load the bike back up after an hour or if the weather turned.
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looks great! How did you get the camper up on the trailer? I have a couple of ideas. Leaving in a hour to pick up a 2009 starcraft from a retired couple. How is your surge brakes working out?

I propped the popup on jackstands. Cut the axle and mounting plate off. Backed the military trailer to the front of the popup. Pulled the pins on the military trailer (like a dump trailer). Attached a come-along from the jeep to the tongue of the popup and started pulling. Once it was most of the way i lowered the "dump trailer", re-positioned the come-along, and slide the camper into place. Then cut the popup tongue off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior