Off road trailer brake controller ?'s

6btEX

Observer
I've been contemplating adding trailer brakes to my telephone trailer, but realized my current brake controller might not work well off road. My toy hauler brakes work ok on the highway with my current controller, but I was thinking that this controller, or similar ones like it would be useless at low speed off road use. At low speeds the controller wouldn't have the inertia that is required to actuate the trailer brakes. A pressure actuated system would probably be more effective off road. What is the best off road system?

grogie

Like to Camp
What's your brake controller?

I have yet to tow much off road (will do so more later this summer), however my Prodigy P2 brake control seems to be sensitive enough at slow speeds and can always be turned up. Just pulling out of a camping spot recently early in the morning, the brakes were wet and extra grabby. I actually turned down the controller as otherwise the trailer's brakes were locking up. My Jeep actually stops better with my trailer in tow! :D

6btEX

Observer
It is a Tekonsha Sentinel which works well for normal driving. My experience with this and other models is that it needs to see the g force of braking to provide trailer brake input. In off road situations at low speed, say descending a steep hill at crawling speed, the trailer brakes might not be engaging.

java

Expedition Leader
Agree, get a p2, they are awesome. I have one for my big trailer, and this weekend got me thinking i should add brakes to my little one. Long downhills suck.

brentbba

Explorer
I've used a Prodigy pulling both a large trailer for my scout troop and offroad with my much smaller M101CDN. No issues with either one. It's all electronic and you can adjust the level of braking you need for on road or off road use.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Another Vote for a P2

I tow a Chaser with electric brakes and the P2 works quite well both on and offroad. No complaints whatsoever.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
And with an electric brake controller like the P2, you can actuate the trailer brakes by hand, not by pressing on the brake pedal if you wish, too.... At slow speeds this might be helpful down hill.

protohyp

Adventurer
I use the tekonsha P3 and it works great. using the boost or adjusting the sensitivity helps but you'll probably find you'll use different settings for highway, grade driving, city driving, and off road. If I use my downhill settings in the city the trailer brakes are so strong that they tug against the truck when I'm feathering the brakes so it requires me to drop the boost just for driving around the city. but otherwise the slow speed will definitely not be a problem for either the P2 or P3 that tekonsha makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veNSJIm_WjA

java

Expedition Leader
And with an electric brake controller like the P2, you can actuate the trailer brakes by hand, not by pressing on the brake pedal if you wish, too.... At slow speeds this might be helpful down hill.

Yes the P2 has the standard flappy paddle thing that lets you apply the trailer brakes.

Also very nice for tailgaters, it turns your brake lights on without applying the brakes when no trailer is attached :)

6btEX

Observer
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I need to upgrade my controller. Don't have one for the Cruiser yet anyway. The Sentinel can stay in the Excursion.

brentbba

Explorer
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I need to upgrade my controller. Don't have one for the Cruiser yet anyway. The Sentinel can stay in the Excursion.

Prodigy is detachable - buy one controller and pick up a 2nd cradle/wiring harness and you can move the Prodigy from your Excursion to the Cruiser.

luk4mud

Explorer
I use a P2 as well, I have used it in the Jeep and my wife's Honda Pilot. One controller, two cars. Works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior