Small solar panel installed

coax

Adventurer
Finally got around to mounting the solar panel on the 80. Used stainless steel drawer slides to fit it in between two Yakima bars. Spaced with 4 old rear sway bar bushings so it can flex a bit if needed :hillbilly:
It tucks nicely under the roof box, though I haven't permanently wired it yet. Probably wont, just plug in when ever needed.

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
This is awesome! I want to do this.
What type of clamp did you use, and where did you get it to hold the drawer slide to the Yakima tube?

Thanks!

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is an awesome setup, and may be something I do to my F-250 with an A.R.E. shell on it! I have Yakima Racks with an older model Space Case mounted on top.

HPIM1386.jpg

Since I have so much room in front of the Space Case, I may design mine so that it slides forward for use, and back under the case for storage.

BTW, Home Depot has black plastic chair leg tips that will fit perfectly on the ends of the Yak bars to replace the poorly designed OEM ones. I believe it is the 7/8" size that fits.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I like your idea, I've been kicking around how to do a similar install under a rack like a frontrunner slimline II (high enough). I'd like it to come out over the front window/hood so if parked passerbiers will be less apt to screw with it. Bonus points if I can figure out how to automate it so it slides forward when the ignition is turned off and retracts when ignition is turned on. Water proof 12v rams all seem to be a little big to fit under the roof rack.

coax

Adventurer
This is awesome! I want to do this.
What type of clamp did you use, and where did you get it to hold the drawer slide to the Yakima tube?

Thanks!

Those are actually just the standard yakima clamps for ski or bike racks. I used some stainless screws and yakima wing nuts as the hardware, though to get through some of the holes on the drawer slides had to grind the head of the screw a bit. But would totally depend on what size fastener you use. Then just had a bushing between the slide and the yakima clamp.

I acutally pulled the panel off a while ago, but I had put about 25k bumpy miles on it with no issue. Only thing I would do different is to wipe /clean the grease off the slides when they are new so it won't attract dirt. Being stainless they'll still slide just fine (good enough you need a retention clip or strap to hold closed while driving.

HTH!

8810135.jpg

jchasse

I like your idea, I've been kicking around how to do a similar install under a rack like a frontrunner slimline II (high enough). I'd like it to come out over the front window/hood so if parked passerbiers will be less apt to screw with it. Bonus points if I can figure out how to automate it so it slides forward when the ignition is turned off and retracts when ignition is turned on. Water proof 12v rams all seem to be a little big to fit under the roof rack.

If you get sliders with good enough bearings, I'll bet you can slide it out by just jamming on the brakes when you park! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles