Lug Nut size on M116 BUDD trailer?

TEC3

Adventurer
Going to throw on some new tires tomorrow. Was curious what size Lug nut on a M116 BUDD is? I will have to go buy the socket and probably a breaker bar tomorrow.

E Dr. P

Observer
1.5" You'll most likely need the breaker bar. Also make sure you turn them the correct way (driver's side is left hand thread stock).

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Make your life easier and replace the axle with one that matches your tow vehicle.
It will be lighter and you can get brakes too.

TEC3

Adventurer
Hey Mark,

I am actually going to get an axle that matches my tundra, but for the weekend I want to be able to mess with the tires/ remove if needed. 8.99 socket is cheaper than an axle right now.

TEC3

Adventurer
Well,

I put on some "trailer" more street tires with new tubes for running the trailer around and local trips. We took a trip and pulled it about an hour and a half away. The trip over was great and I really like the size of the M116 for my family of 6. We mounted a RTT and awning to the bows. It really is a great setup. That is until we went to go home. We had a tire go flat while camping so I pumped it up and the tube had a leak. So being closer to home I pulled the tire and we left the trailer at the camp ground. went back to the Coop and got a tube replacement under warranty and drove back to get the trailer. Got half way home and the entire tire detonated! Again with no spare (Can't find a BUDD rim) I now leave the trailer on the side of the interstate and pulled the tire which was shredded at this point. Funny part was the tube held this time. I drove back to the Coop, replaced the tube, liner and tire under warranty again in the same day. drove then back to the trailer got the tire mounted up and realized that the trailer and truck was in the mud drainage ditch on the side of the interstate, so I had to use 4low to pull out the trailer on the side of the interstate. on the up side I was super impressed with the ATRAC system in my toyota, on the down side I don't trust my trailer to go anywhere. The rest of the ride home was fine, but it was frustrating as we have a few local(1 hr or so) trips planned and the setup was so nice while at camp.

Was this just a fluke? defective tire? the other side was perfect. rim issue? I guess it is time to look at that new axle now... was hoping to get through the fall before doing it but we planned on towing this to Expo east and Rendezvous in OCT.

My tundra has the 5x 150mm bolt pattern and I can't seem to find axle hubs for that. my axle springs are 43 1/4 from spring center to spring center. So where to look? what is a rough budget for this swap? the wife wants to know.
Would it be cheaper to order BUDD pattern rims that are tubeless?

TEC3

Adventurer
Thats what I figured,

I would like to go ahead and order the axle, hubs, etc... but can't seem to find a good site. What weight rating should I go with? I am guessing minimum of 3500?

TEC3

Adventurer
Hey Mark,

So BRR Trailers was able to take care of it for 205 and is here in town. They are a small hole in the wall shop 1 mile from my house actually. Never seen them before. I am going to have to get wheel adapters because they are unable to do it on the 5x150mm that the tundra is. so I ordered it in 5x4.5 to match my jeep just in case I need spares, I figured that was the most versatile option for the situation. Now to find 5x4.5 to 5x150mm wheel adapters. if not Jeep rims are fine with me. at least it is common.

TEC3

Adventurer
I talked to a few custom wheel adapter companies and they said that 5x5.5 and a 5x4.5 cannot be adapted to the 5x150mm hub. so I will probably end up running Jeep rim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles