Issues with a new Invertor

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
This is my best friends issue, hoping we can get some input.

He ordered this:

http://www.theinverterstore.com/600-watt-pure-sine-wave-inverter.html

Didnt get it installed till after the 30 day retailer warranty expired (theinvertorstore), so it needed to be sent to the manufacturer (Aimes) for troubleshooting.. fair enough. They claim they ran it for 8 hours with no issue.

This replaced the 300w that was hardwired into his 06 LJ Rubi, as soon as it gets flipped on the alarm signals and powers down. Regardless if he's using the hardwiring or the supplied harness with clips to batt.

Is there any scenario that would explain this happening when powered on in his Jeep? He even tested it 2 other Jeeps in his driveway with no change. The LJ got a new Sears Platinum battery to rule out a weak one.

The fact that he ended up paying $30 to ship to manufacturer and back to him he's hesitant to send it to them again.

Neither of us are very electrically inclined.. appreciate any input.

unseenone

Explorer
Sounds like two bad choices. That being said, clipping it to the battery might be in impedance to the correct voltage / amperage. Can you connect it more solidly. You do not need to have it in the jeep to test, you should be able to connect it directly to the battery terminals on a battery not in the vehicle.

Battery Voltage?

What happens, with No Load? With any load?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Can you elaborate on the two bad choices?

Fully charged batt, alarm/power goes off before anything can be plugged in.

What's the point of testing it on a batt not connected to a vehicle?

unseenone

Explorer
Just to eliminate any other interference or possible issues. If they say it works, and it does not, there has to be something going on.

Sorry about the bad choices comment, it seems like the first issue being the company you purchased from not helping you out, and the 2nd being the fact you had to pay to ship it back, and they claim it's not broken. Nothing negative intended towards you or your friend.

It sounds like it will be virtually impossible to troubleshoot this. It would be useful to describe the installation, wiring, post some pictures of the setup and use a multimeter to do some voltage level checks.

If the unit is alarming, it would indicate, at least the units I have seen that it might not be getting enough current. But I am not familiar with your unit.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I believe the first bad choice was shopping by price alone. Aims does not get good reviews. They likely did not do any testing either.

The second bad choice was not testing it the day it arrived.

Trying it on a battery removed from the vehicle should not make any difference, but it is a valid trouble shooting experiment.

Also if the Inverter has a grounding lug, hook this to the battery (-) too.

Also assuming you are getting polarity correct.

Big mike

Adventurer
Why did your friend wait so long so that the store warranty was up? That's just nuts ! Swat him and steal his beer. But there right up top there. You get what you pay for.
I know everyone can't just go get the best right away ....but prudence would say save till you can get the right product from a respectable dealer.
In other words do your research, talk to people who install these on regular basis for your friends particular needs .
Sounds rough, but the problem with most folks is they have to have it now !!!!
GL
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94