Tire size effect on trailer

Whiskeymike

How does tire size affect performance? I see that almost all trailers come with little wheels/tires. Is this just a cost issue or does it affect performance/pulling character?

I'm considering changing out the wheel/tire combo to a 5x5 so I can share the spare with my jeep. I also like the larger footprint for pulling it on the beach or dirt roads. I won't be doing hard offroad with it attached, but I'd like to be able to setup base camp a lil off the beaten path.

Does a larger tire provide more rolling resistance? Bad aerodynamics (considering the Jeep is lifted as well).

I would expect the brakes should have more room, but fenders and clearance with an axle flip/swap would have to occur.

Javelinadave

Adventurer
Simple physics:
Wider tires = more road resistance = more power required to pull = lower MPG while towing.
Trailer builders use smaller tires to save weight and cost.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
All of the above is definitely true, and I know Mr. Harley's ^^Red Dream^^ tows like a dream with lighter running gear underneath it. And looks good doing it!

That said, I was surprised that my friend's M101A3 on the 37x12.50 Humvee tires tows remarkably smooth at 70 mph behind my stock FJ Cruiser. Much better than my junky utility trailer on overly stiff leaf springs and 15in wheels/tires.

The worst part is trying to pull it with the canvas top in place which is literally like dragging a parachute down the highway.

IMAG0192.jpg~original

Whiskeymike

All of the above is definitely true, and I know Mr. Harley's ^^Red Dream^^ tows like a dream with lighter running gear underneath it. And looks good doing i

That said, I was surprised that my friend's M101A3 on the 37x12.50 Humvee tires tows remarkably smooth at 70 mph behind my stock FJ Cruiser. Much better than my junky utility trailer on overly stiff leaf springs and 15in wheels/tires.

The worst part is trying to pull it with the canvas top in place which is literally like dragging a parachute down the highway.

That is a fine looking trailer. I run 35x12.5 duratracs and would love to have those on the trailer, but it seems to be asking for trouble.

brentbba

Explorer
My M101CDN came with 255/75/16's. Sold them to put 285/75-16's to match the truck. Trailer straight and smooth, no wandering, etc. with either the tall skinny's or the fatter wider tire. Skinny was an AT and the wider is a MT.

bunger

Adventurer
On my highly modified Converto Trailer, I matched the tire size to the truck 315/75/16. It pulls great and no issues at higher hiway speeds.
I didn't even consider anything smaller when I built it because, as Eric Cartman would say, "that wouldn't be cooool" :cool:

IMG_20131213_082241_544_zpsd996c68f.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Larger tires roll over obstacles easier than a smaller. It its a lot easier to push my trailer with 265/70/17's over the lip into the garage, that it is with the 5x12's on my other trailer.

MountainD

Adventurer
I'm curious too. I have a Land Rover D90 rolling on 33's and recently bought a fleetwood neon which rolls on 205/35-10. It is not a noticeable tow behind the truck nor a significant decrease in mileage. I rides lower than the box that I drive down the freeway. I am about to do a axle/wheel swap on the pop up and put similar 33's on it. Will it significantly decrease the mpg?

protohyp

Adventurer
I run 305/55/r20 on the trailer with massive treads and a 2000lb trailer. On my winter test runs up to mammoth without trailer I use exactly half a tank (at least according to my gauge) each time I go which is about 330 miles from Los Angeles with about 10% of the driving on 6% uphill grade. I've done that trip twice with my trailer now and used exactly half a tank. My truck is a 5.3 chevy avalanche. Not the most powerful towing vehicle but in both instances my cruise is set to 60 mph. I believe that towing speeds are the biggest factor regarding fuel economy.
yse4y7yd.jpg

If you drive above 70 mph forget fuel economy regardless if youre towing or not. If gas mileage is an issue drive slower in all cases. You might arrive an hour later so wake up an hour earlier and save the gas money for CASES of beer....not six packs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier