Field tire change on a Hutchinson, yeah or nay?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Err?

Yes, my G is in WI.
Tibus for the portals
View attachment 256178

Errr...as in it couldn't have been much fun with using the bucket. Amazing you got them fitted though.

Brutus is amazing, huge kudos!!
I thought Wolfgang said that 290GD brakes came with the portal kit? Supposedly they were the best Mercedes brakes he's ever tested(I suppose he means that would fit under a 16" wheel, as the larger AMG sedan brakes are even better I'd imagine).

bojo999999

Errr...as in it couldn't have been much fun with using the bucket. Amazing you got them fitted though.

Brutus is amazing, huge kudos!!
I thought Wolfgang said that 290GD brakes came with the portal kit? Supposedly they were the best Mercedes brakes he's ever tested(I suppose he means that would fit under a 16" wheel, as the larger AMG sedan brakes are even better I'd imagine).

I wouldn't know as I purchased the Portal axle kit through an off road company in the phillipines for way less ($15K) than Wolfgang was offering (+$25K). They didn't come with the mentioned brakes, had to purchase those separately.

Currently working on the interior, setting up Sat phone, Laptop stand for my toughbook, etc.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I wouldn't know as I purchased the Portal axle kit through an off road company in the phillipines for way less ($15K) than Wolfgang was offering (+$25K). They didn't come with the mentioned brakes, had to purchase those separately.

Currently working on the interior, setting up Sat phone, Laptop stand for my toughbook, etc.

Hmm, not sure why they were that much direct from Tibus. When he quoted me in '11, they were only ~$13k USD at that time;
"The set of portals for the Mercedes G -Wagen is 9205,00 Euro including brakes, rear chromo axle shafts new front steering knuckles."
With him selling more and more, his costs would go down, inflation and such brings them up a bit...but not equivalent to $25k USD! Would be interesting to know the story.

Looking forward to your interior pics.

bojo999999

Maybe there were including service with the portals but everyone I contacted was north of $20K for both axles. I know when I contacted ORC they do the whole axle exchange thing. LeTech in the US charges over $20K spoke with Bill directly and ORC referred me to him on Portals.

otiswesty

Regular guy
That's alot of Euros for the hood. I just got my new hood, it is walkable. With shipping and all it was not cheap, but a deal compared to 4K Euros. Still needs paint and install.:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• WalkOnHood.JPG
    WalkOnHood.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 39

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Maybe there were including service with the portals but everyone I contacted was north of $20K for both axles. I know when I contacted ORC they do the whole axle exchange thing. LeTech in the US charges over $20K spoke with Bill directly and ORC referred me to him on Portals.

Hmm, not sure why Tibus portals increased in price so much.

PS--had 2 nails repaired in a Hutchie today.

bojo999999

Was your Tibus price for all 4 portals? I swear I emailed Tibus directly for pricing and it was high. Could be markup as that is the case with any G wagon accessory/mod.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Was your Tibus price for all 4 portals? I swear I emailed Tibus directly for pricing and it was high. Could be markup as that is the case with any G wagon accessory/mod.

I assume so, wouldn't want just 2. ;)
Keep in mind Tibus' quote was from years ago, but it was half what you paid.

freeze

Adventurer
The theory vs. practice argument is very valid here...in fact, I installed all 4 of my Hutchs in person with a friend...well, until we had to take all 4 of them to a professional tire shop to use the press and other tools to best install, align, etc...everything.

A normal rim would be easier to mount in the field in my opinion with the addition of the tire irons or that handy tire install tool...

We've mounted quite a few at our shop. Installation is very quick with hand tools. We do use an impact to just get the nuts down on the first round before switching to the torque wrench. I've done both kinds of tire dismount and mount on trail and I would pick the Hutchinson over doing it with irons. The key is using proper tools to pull the face of the rim up off the bead. This can be done in one minute and same goes with the back side. If you've done a few you get a bit of a system down to get it off and on. Practice practice!

i'll race a hutch guy with a standard rim and two nice tire irons with soap.

we'll do it for pinks, man. i may even use my backup foot pump. :)

the hutch value is the dot beadlock that gives you piece of mind at 12psi. if youre not airing that low, its an ego thing, right jeremy? :)

Not sure if you've un mounted and mounted a Hutchinson before, but there's not effort in doing so aside from lifting the tire off the barrel. It's very quick to pull the face off with soap water and levers. Just walk the two levers up and down opposite from each other and do so around the rim between the tire then after one full revolution the face pops up and the same for the bottom. Tire comes off and fold and pull out the inner bead. Fold and push in the inner bead and roll the tire to have the inner bead sit perfectly in the middle of the tire, plop the tire on the barrel, push the face on and zing on the nuts to the long studs then go after the shorter studs in criss cross, then after 90ft, torque down. One wheel can have a tire swapped in less than 5 minutes off vehicle.

Once on Dusy I had to do this on trail, it was hot, dusty, 9,500FT elevation. I carry the spare tire without a rim which cuts down weight and allows for items to be placed in the spare tire for storage with the Front Runner BBQ over top as a lid. Tire was swapped out in 15 minutes on vehicle. Surprisingly the tire was quite balanced on the highway afterwards.

Tools include:
  • Snap On Impact 18V
  • Two long flat head leavers
  • Bio-degradable soap
  • Snap On torque wrench
  • 19MM Socket and extension
  • Teflon chain lube for the inner o-ring seal
  • Small stubby stiff broom

Obviously a spare with rim is faster to swap. Saving weight and increasing storage is a nice plus with minimal time wasted.

McBride

Adventurer
Freeze,

Good to know. I have them on my G. As you suggest I should probably do a practice mount dismount before I need to.

When you say long levers how long is long?

What are your thoughts/experience on balancing Hutchies? Your thoughts on dynabeads for Hutchies.

William

otiswesty

Regular guy
In saw this pic on Peter's site that reminded me of this thread. Field change of tire (and tube) in a two piece rim. Not a Hutchinson, but....

Attachments

• TwoPieceRim.jpg
    TwoPieceRim.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles