416 Style Trailer Build

KitCarson

I was never able to find an M416 trailer so I decided to build one. My Dad and I working on it steadily for 7 days turned out a solid trailer that will suit my travels well.
I started out by calling Steve at Ruger Trailers (www.rugertrailers.com) to see if he would sell me one of his formed tubs and fenders. Steve was fantastic to deal with and a great help to my project. He sold me the tub, fenders and tail light boxes as well as sharing his wisdom on trailer construction. He answered every question I had and volunteered even more info.
IMG_2170.jpg

The frame is built from 3/16 wall 2x3 rectangle tubing. the tongue is 1/4" wall 3x3 square tubing and runs back to the center bar. Each corner is gusseted.
20140703_202711.jpg

The springs are laid out to place the axle based on the 60/40 ratio. (60% of the load is in front of the axel). This wound up being 24" from the back of the trailer.
IMG_2179.jpg

I ordered spindles and hubs with 5 on 5 bolt pattern and built the axle 58" long (hub face to hub face). Getting the spindles welded into the tube straight was a chore and required some special technique.
IMG_2183.jpg

I put together a tongue rack framed with the same 2x3 tubing with 1 3/4" square tubing cross bars.
(rack layout)
IMG_2184.jpg
(rack frame)
IMG_2186.jpg
(finished rack)
IMG_2200.jpg

2" angle iron was cut and welded to the frame for bolt tabs to mount the tub
IMG_2204.jpg

Marker light and wiring holes drilled
IMG_2210.jpg

KitCarson

416 Style Trailer Build (contd.)

I cant get the pic of the finished frame to upload.

Primed and painted tub
IMG_2232.jpg

Fitting the tub to the frame
IMG_2247.jpg

The tail lights are housed in a box attached to the outside of the tub. The wiring passes up out of the frame into the tub and out the side of the tub into the tail light housing. My Dad manufactured a wire conduit by welding 2 bolts to the inside of a piece of split square tubing. These bolts pass out of the tub into the tail light housing and fasten the tail light housing to the tub.
IMG_2273.jpg

wound up with a very clean look for covering the wire
IMG_2276.jpg

Mounted the Fenders to the tub with 1/4" carriage bolts
IMG_2280.jpg

A Little more than 8 days start to finish of 2 people working 10 hour days
IMG_2284.jpg

Very much a garage project (albeit a garage outfitted with a nice Miller MIG welder, cutoff saws, grinders, clamps, stands, etc.) that came out great.
Pulls straight and will be on a trail in Colorado in one week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior