Pelican Coolers, My Experience.

Texas TT

We use Pelican cases at work. I was sort of excited when I heard they were making coolers. Checked the reviews and did not see anything negative. I measured the space inside of my expo trailer and found one that would just fit. I located a Pelican distributor and ordered one.

We wanted one to supplement our ARB fridge. The first time we used it we had it about ¾ full of drinks and ice. The next morning when I picked it up I got a small shower from it leaking around the gasket!

We opened it up to find that all of the ice had melted in less than 24 hours. The giant sticker (still on the cooler) said it would retain ice 7-10 days. The latches were shut and the drain plug was secure. On closer inspection we found that the cooler was warped near the corners. The middle was sealing up, but he corners were not. The airflow in the trailer was probably circulating under the lid and sped up the melting.

Since this was a week-long camping trip we had no choice but to put more ice in and keep going. Up in the mountains with cooler weather we were able to get the ice to last about two days.

So basically if we had spent 10X less at a big box store, we could have gotten a better performing cooler. We were literally not happy campers!

I tried to contact the vendor, Atlas Industrial Supply (a certified Pelican dealer), several times with no reply. I tried Pelican a few times. They eventually said I could ship it back at my cost, they would inspect it, then if it is deemed defective, ship me a new one at my cost. So shipping x2 to fix a defective product I already paid shipping on. This would be in the $100 range. Nice.

I said no thanks and cancelled the credit card charge due to false advertising. I told Pelican I would hold the cooler for 30 days & would be happy to return it if they or the vendor sent me a pre-paid shipping label.

I suppose when these work people are happy with them, but if you get a defective one it will cost $$ in shipping to maybe get it straightened out.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Wow, that's intense. Thanks for the heads up. I hope you just got a single defective unit, I want to believe that Pelican makes a better product than that. I have several Pelican cases for numerous different situations and always found them to exceed my expectations. If you do get a replacement please let us know if it performs better.

Honu

lost on the mainland
that new was it on a CC ? try the CC company

bummer to hear but like reviews like this since it shows the bad that can happen along with the good :) thanks :)

Texas TT

that new was it on a CC ? try the CC company

bummer to hear but like reviews like this since it shows the bad that can happen along with the good :) thanks :)

Brand new. It was on a CC (thank goodness). We started the process of canceling the charge with them.

clandr1

Adventurer
That's horrible service from Pelican, and the vendor. Let us know how the CC dispute works out.

Bad deal. Reminds me of when I bought my Hydroflask which was defective, and also had to pay shipping back to them to get it checked & replaced. At least they paid for shipping back to me, but still...

Texas TT

I guess cancelling the credit card charge was motivation. We received a prepaid shipping label to return it so it can be inspected.

Before shipping it off I conducted a test of my own. I put a flashlight into the cooler and closed the lid. Found a pretty good gap at the corner that actually went through the front center of the cooler. The center actually looked pretty tight, so it was a little worse than expected.

Corner:

Center:

I will update as the situation progresses.

sleddogsam

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have had no issues with mine. 5 days in 90 deg weather and usually have 3/4 of the ice left. I keep it in the shade. I have the white version which I also think helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTaco

Adventurer
Glad that they are taking care of it for you now. That is unacceptable for a high end cooler to have a gap like that. Sometimes with mine the suction is so strong after closing the lid that it takes some work to reopen it. That is how it should seal. Good luck with your replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior