The Best Camera For Overlanding

peneumbra

Explorer
^Yes, but, if you had the Hasselblad along, you could use it to pound in your tent stakes.

Let's see you do THAT with your cellphone camera!

SunFlower

Adventurer
Since you are going to be in your car and don't have to worry about carrying/hiking with weight, I think a DSLR is mandatory. I also ALWAYS have a GoPro mounted on my truck.
My fav camera is my old Nikon D7000 because it takes great pictures and awesome video.
I am no fan of camera phones.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
^Yes, but, if you had the Hasselblad along, you could use it to pound in your tent stakes.

Let's see you do THAT with your cellphone camera!

Go take a video of you pounding tent pegs with your Hasselblad please! I would love to see that.

BTW my Fuji x-s1 is full magnesium body. I bought the nokia 1020 as a camera to have with me all the time, I can tell you that the photos from this are far ahead of any other phone out there now, as well as ALOT of point and shoots. I do have my X-S1 and X10 cameras with me as well, and still have a very light weight capable kit. These cameras close the gap on consumer DSLRs in a big way.

peneumbra

Explorer
^I'd love to send you a vid of me pounding in tent stakes with the H-blad BUT I used my video cam to dig my truck out of the mud and I need to wash it off first...:elkgrin:

Ripper

Adventurer
So Im not bringing anything to the table in terms of what camera is better, But I am asking for some advice. I have pretty much zero photography experience other than using my phone (I know I know) and I have out grown its extreme limitations. I realize what works for you may not work for me. But I am looking for something that I can use to capture quality pictures during my hiking/offroading/camping trips, and also have fun with in the process. I am currently looking at a Canon T5 kit on Amazon. The kit includes the body, a 18-55 lens and a 75-300 lens among some other things. I just want to make sure I am not going in completely the wrong direction with this purchase. Its a decent investment for me, so I am not in to mood to buy something that isnt really necessary.

I will offer a little it of a background though. The person who will be essentially instructing me in the basics and eventually the finer points of photography runs Canons himself. And he suggest to get a Canon, because it will be easier to instruct me and I can use a good portion of his gear in the process.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Honu

lost on the mainland
for what its worth carved out a good living as a photographer most my life and also have a post production company
its not the camera these days :) so really anything you can get into is going to do great stuff :) of course nicer glass etc... helps but again its the person shooting so that can come later for sure

if your buddy is going to help you out and is used to canon that alone is a good reason also might be able to try lens he has etc... and lost of folks shoot canon

I am not up if that is the latest model or not ?

I shoot both FF and M4/3 as a pro the one reason I do love the M4/3 is the size is nice and small and the quality is there without any issue and quite a few pro friends use the Oly or Fuji and a couple use Panasonic but they are more video guys
most all but about 2 of the full time pros I know also use FF gear along with the M4/3 but can say that pretty much %100 of our fun regular shooting is M4/3 its that good

really its about your budget and what you will be happy with
AND what you want to take ?
wilde life when camping ? fishing trips ? or the kids or dogs or ?
that can change things a bit also do you want to be able to shoot in lower light or will it be all scenic kinda stuff etc...

if its all around then things open up a bit more IMHO

all that said :)
if this is a general camera just to take pics and some video some of the cameras like the Sony RX100 III http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...100m3_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_iii_digital.html
are also incredible little cameras and truly a take with you every where kinda setup

larger setups that are still tiny compared to FF gear and have super zooms http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz1000
are another option

hope that helps some but its a huge market and a ton of gear can be found

is it for general everything ?
does it need to be water proof ?

super long lens or not ? (such as to get wildlife far away)
do you want a faster lens that is good in low light ?

sports or fast moving things ?

does video matter ?

does bulk and size and weight matter to much ?

those are some things to know for sure

craig333

Expedition Leader
Recently got a nikon d3000 since I was unhappy with my cell phone for anything but closeups. What I'm wondering is how rugged are these cameras? Do I dare carry it along in the Jeep when I'm doing some serious wheeling?

Honu

lost on the mainland
Craig some cameras that are DSLR are very rugged but they tend to be the pro bodies that are weather sealed and need weather sealed lens etc... so just check your model and the lens ? chances are dont take it out in pouring rain but as far as shock they are pretty tough get a decent padded camera case keep it in there till you pull it out use it they survive UPS shipments they can survive trail runs :)

entry models though I think will surprise you how tough they are :)

so
dust ? unless you are in a desert dust storm even common camp dust can't see that being a issue either
water keep out of rain if you can of course unless its for sure weather sealed and the lens
get a case

those things you should be good to go :)

craig333

Expedition Leader
Sounds good. I got a small camera case, then I got a large. The small case fits inside the big case so I should be gtg.

kojackJKU

there are "bags" you can get that seal your camera inside of them and make them water resistant to 10 ft or so, would be ideal for rain.

Honu

lost on the mainland
YUP bags can be handy but just understand the pros cons of them :)

one thing about them also is they can trap in moisture just as much so some care is needed if you use them this way
going from cold to hot condensation etc..... so they are good but again some care and opening back up after use etc... or they can also cause issues which I have seen happen :)

some ways for rain and basic protection a cape is better or get a tough style P&S camera

I shot underwater full time(5 days a week) for 15 years :)

there are "bags" you can get that seal your camera inside of them and make them water resistant to 10 ft or so, would be ideal for rain.

kojackJKU

I would never keep a camera in them full time, but if someone needed to take a shot in the rain, for a min or two, I don't see the issue. pop the camera in, take the shot, get back in your rig, pop the camera out again. No issues there, just protection of your camera.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah :) figured if ya mentioned it you might know :) more for others who might not and think it can live in it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles