Some questions before buying a modified M101A1

Egan70

Observer
I've been doing a lot of searching through this forum for the last week or so trying to narrow down what I want out of an offroad capable camping trailer. I need something that can travel anywhere my modified H2 can go, has an RTT or is capable of easily adding one, and can be used in the off season to haul landscape materials and home improvement products (wood, sheetrock, etc.). While some of the ready-made adventure trailers are nice (and spendy), I don't need the pull out drawers and kitchens and whatnot. I have a lot of camping equipment and I just need to be able to haul it. Because of this, I narrowed my search to military trailers.

I was fortunate to find an M101A1 for sale somewhat locally that has been modified with an RTT mount that raises and lowers (installed inside the bed, although I would prefer outside), linex'd bed, and front and rear levelers. It doesn't have any brakes which concerns me. What would be involved in adding surge brakes or electric brakes and what kind of budget am I looking at? It would be great to change out the hubs too and match my H2 (one spare), but that might get expensive, especially considering my H2 has 37x13.50 tires.

The lights have all been changed to LED, so I assume it's 12V. There is a deck to mount a box or propane tank in front of the cargo box, but the tongue is standard length and might interfere with my swing out spare on the H2. Is there a simple way to extend the tongue or does it have to be cut and then extended by a welder? Any idea on what that might cost and how it could affect weight distribution and handling?

The price seems high to me for the trailer, RTT mount, Tepui Autana RTT, 150W solar panel with battery at $3,500, but my experience is limited. Any thoughts there?

I appreciate any input.

Here's the tow rig and you can see why I need a trailer: ;)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If it is ready to go with all the extras $3500.00 does not seem bad.

Changing out the axle to match the H2 is an easy task.

Extending the tongue can be done too.

There are several M101a1, 2, 3 builds on Expo just search them out for ideas.

Post a picture of what you are looking at.

Egan70

Observer

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Add up the cost of the mods and work backwards.

Obviously someone's time is worth something.....but a M101A1 should go for $500-$750 all day long....no brakes, pretty old, not that rare.

I'd keep an eye open for a M101A2 or a M116A2....as Mark says, throw a new brake axle with matching hubs to TV and you got somethingto build off of.

Don't pass up the opportunity to get good brakes on it.

Egan70

Observer
Add up the cost of the mods and work backwards.

Obviously someone's time is worth something.....but a M101A1 should go for $500-$750 all day long....no brakes, pretty old, not that rare.

I'd keep an eye open for a M101A2 or a M116A2....as Mark says, throw a new brake axle with matching hubs to TV and you got somethingto build off of.

Don't pass up the opportunity to get good brakes on it.

Ya, I added up the mods and couldn't get to the $3,500 he wanted on craigslist or the $3,200 on here. I think I'm going to look for a base to start with as I would have picked a different RTT and a different mounting method. Better to start form scratch than pay for something I'm just going to change.

I actually found an M101A2 on craigslist today that was completely refurbished by the military prior to auction. The guy wants $1,400 but there's no rust and new surge brakes. That seems steep, but it wouldn't need paint or repairs to the bed or frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz