July/August Yukon trip

yukonflyer

Observer
Ok well here we are on the road for a week and I haven't had the chance to post anything till now.
On the first day we went from Calgary to Fort St John, second Day to Muncho lake, third day just to Watson lake, forth day we left Watson Lake and drove out the Nahanni range road to 20 km short of Tungsten, crossed a small creek and camped. During that 300 km about 270 km was on gravel of various description, good, not so good and ugly. We lost the back window in the jeep to a rock of the front of the trailer ( just as the sky's opened up with heavy rain, thunder and lightning ) and somewhere near the end we broke a spring hanger out of the frame on the trailer on the welds. Didn't discover that till we'd crossed the creek to set up camp.
So bailing wired the front of the spring to the frame and it's been fine for 400+ km since! we're at Inconnu Lodge now for another couple days then we'll go up to Faro and have the frame welded.

630 km on various descriptions of gravel so far ��

yukonflyer

Observer
Looks like we're going to have to leave the North Canol road for another time. I think after breaking the spring hanger and upon inspecting the other three I'd like to beef all of them up and maybe box the frame on the trailer as well before attempting a road that is mostly poor.

So we're revising our plan to include a day or two in Faro to get repairs done and check things out, sounds like there are a few things worth seeing. There are supposed to be some good visitor info type museum and some good wildlife viewing vantages. So we'll see.
After Faro we'll head up to Dawson city for a couple nights, then up the Dempster Hwy a hundred kms. We've been told about a couple good fishing spots that rarely see anyone fishing them in that first hundred km, so we'll check them out too.
We may add a visit to Mayo and Keno on the Silver Trail before heading to Whitehorse.

zzz150

Adventurer
those gravel roads always pack a surprise or two once things feel smooth... then bam potholes and washboard bad enough to bounce one off the road! i hit some unexpected gravel that was pretty rough, in saskatchewan, probably 200km worth or so, kept thinking i should air down a bit to soften this up but this gravel has gotta end soon.. sorry to hear about the breakage, but happy to hear you are still mobile. how are the bugs up there?! i'm currently in smoky river alberta, will be in watson lake in two days. then nahanni and canol and dempster.

yukonflyer

Observer
Some photos

Our campsite in the Hyland Valley 20 km from Tungsten, another by the Hyland River half way up the Nahanni Range Road and of course the required one in Dawson Creek at Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

yukonflyer

Observer
We've had a great visit at Inconnu Lodge, arrived here in the evening of the 18th and will be hitting the road again tomorrow for Faro for some welding and then onwards to Dawson City.

While here at the lodge we've done some fishing on the lake and in the River outlet, caught a couple dozen Grayling in an hour or two as well as a really nice Lake Trout by my wife, somewhere around 10 or 15 pounds and about 24 - 28 inches. It took her a good while to bring it in.

So let's see, some thoughts on what we've seen so far. Day one was mostly a nothing day, just flat Alberta highways trying to get far fast. There was the new Dinosaur Museum being built near Grand Prairie, looks like a Dinosaur which is kinda cool, be interesting to visit when it opens. Then there was Mile Zero when we got to Dawson Creek, had to stop for a pic or two there. Then we sort of wandered looking for a campsite between Dawson and FSJ, they were all full, so we ended up in a Holiday Inn in FSJ (pet friendly) We did however take a detour between Dawson and FSJ to drive a portion of the original Alaska Hwy route which takes you across a really cool original bridge and canyon that you compleatly miss if you stay to the new Hwy. doesn't take long and worth the detour.
On the second day we went from FSJ to Muncho Lake, quite a nice provincial campground there. Beautiful lake and scenery. Supposed to be good fishing to but we just had dinner and crashed after two long days of driving.
But! That brought us into the North! We were only a short distance from the Liard Hotsprings and just beyond, the Yukon!

On the third day we stopped at Liard Hotsprings for a soke, very very worth it! You pull in and can either camp or go to the day use parking, which is what we did. After leaving the Jeep we walked down a very well kept boardwalk of a marshy area, seeing a variety of birds and flowers. There are some well laid out sign boards along the way describing what you are seeing. After the marsh it's back into the forest, still on the boardwalk all the way to the springs. The pools are not compleatly natural but haven't been messed with to much. Parks has however built a nice change room building and deck with stairs on one side. As you approach there is a mild rotten egg smell but not overpowering. The water is HOT as you enter but if you stir it up some it's perfect. There is a distinct layer of hot on the surface, about 12"-18" then cooler below.the pools are plenty deep to immerse in and it feels amazing. ( we'll be stopping again on the way home! )

After smoking as much as we could take we hit the road again for Watson Lake Yukon, night three would be spent in the Yukon!

There are some great view points along the way and there is an opportunity to detour to another old section of the Hwy that was known as Suicide Hill, we'll take that detour on the way home.
Arriving in Watson Lake our first stop was the Sign Post Forest, it is truly amazing how many signs there are. We didn't try to count them but there are apparently in excess of 60,000. Next time we come we will be adding on. After wandering there for a while we went into the info centre, they were very helpful but think southerners are incapable of leaving pavement. Stern warnings about the condition of the Robert Campbell Hwy. aside from the construction area it's better than Calgary roads! The infomcentre is also a mini museum about the early Yukon and Alaska Hwy, they even have an 18 min movie that is worth a look. All in all a very we'll put together little place.
From there we headed to the Watson Lake Territorial campground. Clean, quiet, inexpensive and well put together.

In the morning of day four we pulled up stakes and headed back to town for gas ( which was about 20 cents cheaper than Fort Nelson BC! A very nice surprise ) topped the tank and jerry cans up and headed up the Robert Campbell ... which is paved for the first 30 or so km! What! Oh well then we hit gravel and construction mud before reaching the turnoff for the Nahanni Range road. Some very beatiful vistas thus far and many more to come as we headed up the range road. The first bridge you come to is across the Francis River, and is a little decrepit looking but can handle the trucks bringing concentrate out from Tungsten so no worries. The quality of the road varies, some major pot holes and some really good, lots of rough in between quality. The least pleasant part of the road was where it had been freshly graded, lots of big rocks loose on the surface... Good by back window! Hello thunder lightning and heavy rain as we tarped it over. Ah well, all part of the adventure! The road winds along, sometimes with the growth right up to the side other times with it back a couple meters. We did find some bad bumps in some shadows, one of which apparently took out a spring hanger on the trailer.
We decided to camp in an old gravel excavation across a creek about 30 feet wide and a foot to 18 inches deep. It was after the crossing we discovered the spring! The vistas from our spot were amazing, high ruged mountains to the east, high rolling mountains to the west, a broad brush filled valley with the Hyland River running thru it north and south west with the terrain sloping up to the north. Breathtaking!
While supper cooked I got under the trailer with the bailing wire and reattached the spring to the frame at the front and secured the links at the back to the frame also. All we could do is hope it would hold, we were over 300 km from anywhere we could get it fixed!
The night was wonderful, quiet, just the sound of the running creek. Perfection.

Day five : In the morning we got up and packed up, inspected the rest of the trailer, and headed out for Tungsten. The climb thru the mountains and down into the Flat river valley was breathtaking. I've always loved the Flat river valley and now I can say I love the the Hyland valley too, we both do.

Unfortunately we arrived at Tungsten at a bad time. It was crew change day and they were in the middle of putting a lift on the tailings pile so they wouldn't let us thru to the hotsprings. Understandable but a bit of a bummer.
So we turned around and drove back with a bit of a side trip up the access road up to Flat lakes. The roads not great so we decided to turn back, what with the bailing wire holding the axle in place...

We continued back out the way we came in, just taking it a bit slower and at the Hyland River airstrip stopped to help a mine worker heading to work who had suffered a puncture. Lucky I had a repair kit and compressor, he still had a long way to go to work!
We called it a day where the range road crosses the Hyland River and camped down by the water. No trouble camping beside the bridge, no traffic. We did a little fishing but the water was high and fast so didn't get anything.

Day six: we set out again back along the Range Road to the Robert Campbell and up to the territorial campground at Francis lake. Another nice one, friendly people, and not to busy. Learned of a couple places on the Dempster to stop and fish, we'll let you know if they're any good... Or maybe we won't! ;)

Day seven: we left Francis lake and continued north to Finlayson lake where we would be transferring to a Beaver for the trip into Inconnu Lodge.
For me the floatplane flight is old hat, I've got a few thousand hours flying the Beaver, but for Bu and Tiger it was something new. But was a little nervous, Tiger on the other hand was cool as a cucumber. Didn't seem to phase him at all!

While here at the lodge we've helped out with a few chores and I've gone along on a few flights with my former boss and friend to help out. Was great to see my old stomping ground again and my favorite old DHC-2. We did a trip over to Flat lake and the Nahanni River, up to the Glacier lake at the Circ of the Unclimbables. Before returning to the lodge. All told we were gone for 7 hours moving gear for a canoe group. A little sweat, a few fly bites, and a whole lot of smiles. Some stunning territory in them there mountains!

And now it's our last night here, tomorrow back on the road. A couple hours to Faro. Then some welding and onwards to Dawson City!

Much more to come!

sg1

Adventurer
Thanks for the report. Very informative, it helps me a lot to plan our next trip. We are planning to drive essentially the same route next year starting in Canmore.
Keep it coming. Regards Stefan

yukonflyer

Observer
Well here we are just outside Dawson City at the Klondike Creek campground.
We're tucked away in our little chalet on wheels as it rains outside. Sure glad we're not in a tent or tent trailer!
Yesterday we departed Inconnu and drove to Faro, it was a late departure since the Beaver was busy with paying guests till almost noon. So by the time we got out to Finlayson lake and got ourselves organized and did the 3 hour drive to Faro we were a bit late to get the repairs done, we arrived just as Bob was knocking off for the day. So we spent the night at a nice little campground right in Faro and at $8 including flush toilets, showers and firewood it was a steal!
We got up this morning and met Bob at his shop at 0830, I asked if I could help and he said " it's $20 if you drop it off, $50 if you stay and watch, and $100 if you trysts help. So we went and looked around town. He said to come back in an hour and a half, when we got there he was just wrapping up his welding cables. He did a stellar job and gave me pointers on how to reinforce the frame when I get the chance. Thanks Bob! Your awesome!
We then pulled out of Faro and headed first west to Carmacks and then North to Dawson City. It was an 8'hour driving day but here we are and we'll spend a couple nights here checking out the sites, history and perhaps a Sour Toe Cocktail, before heading over to the Dempster...

All is well, and Tiger did a little hunting this evening but I coursed him to come up empty...

Also a note for those coming up here this summer, I've been told that the North Canol is in very poor condition. And judging by the broken frames of a couple of quads I saw in Faro, also be repaired, it's not an exaggeration. Maybe we were fortunate to break our trailer spring hanger on the Range road, we might have been in a lot more difficulty on the North Canol.

yukonflyer

Observer
Last night in Dawson City, tomorrow we head up the Dempster a bit. We're not planning to go far only to the Tombstone Mountains. Say about 100 km. so it'll be a short day of driving and hopefully some fishing. The next day will be down to Whithorse and that's when we'll be able to post some more updates.

A couple notes for people thinking of coming this way.
We've been told that the North Canol is in really rough shape, be warned.
If your towing a trailer, cover the back window. And carry a tarp you can cut up if you loose a window.
Carry two types of duct tape, the regulare fabric kind and the aluminume kind, fabric stuff let's go easy when it gets wet and carry a couple rolls. The bailing wire was invaluable too, and if you have to wire something back together, use lots, don't be stingy, you'll just end up doing it again and using more.

Most of the lakes and rivers are quite safe to drink but just to be sure if you get the concentrated Clorox bleach or any other, make sure it's unseated and doesn't have detergent. All you need is a tea spoon in 20 litres, mix it and leave it for a half hour to an hour open. We carried a bunch of water with us and haven't really needed it. The Territorial campgrounds all seem to tell you to boil for 2 to 10 minutes when you get water,from thier wells.

I'd also recommend the Yukon Territorial Campgrounds, nice clean well separated sites, clean outhouses, with TP, and free firewood for only $12
Also in Dawson City, don't be worried about using the one across the river, the ferry runs on demand 24/7 in the summer. We didn't find that out till after setting up at the Klondike River one and didn't feel like moving. However this is a smaller one so may be quieter than the larger Yukon River one.

Well that's it for now, we'll get some more photos up when we get to Whitehorse. Hope everyone is having a great summer like us!

yukonflyer

Observer
Hello all,
Well we're back south in Calgary. Arrived a couple days ago after adding a couple days to the trip cause we just weren't ready to return to the "real world" yet.
It was an awesome trip and we're already talking about our next trip up there. I'll have a big right-up in a few days but for now we're just adjusting to life back in the societal world.

yukonflyer

Observer
Hello all, well it's taking longer to get the big write up done than I thought, I had planned to post it all at once. So I'll start posting it in smaller blocks as I write it.

So part 1 is below:

yukonflyer

Observer
July/August Yukon Trip

Well here we are Back from our most excellent adventure in the Yukon and Northern BC for 5 days. I guess it's time to write some thoughts down.

Bu is back to work today �� I'm sitting in my chair and Tiger is passed out on the couch dreaming of catching mice. (I can tell by the twitching) I spent the morning finding out if insurance will cover the JKU's lift gate, they will thank goodness cause they're not cheap, and talking to my Jeep dealer and finding they have one in stock, so that will happen Wednesday. I also used the morning to fix a coolant leak on the CJ and clean up and put away the tool I took on the trip.

And with that as a segue on to the trip.

I'd say it is of paramount importance to bring an appropriate selection of tools and supplies with you on a trip like this. I took everything I thought I might need and still came up short on a thing or two. I didn't plan for loosing a window in the back, fortunately I had a spare cheap tarp along that I didn't mind cutting up. I had taken two types of duct tape, the normal silver stuff and the aluminum stuff which is good if it gets wet. Neither deals with dust we'll note do they stay well stuck if the temp gets above 25C or so. I'll have to find a better product for the future. I also only planned for something minor to break and need to be wired up with the roll of bailing wire I had along. However for the spring hanger on the trailer, while the bailing wire worked and held for over 400 km's on good bad and some ugly gravel roads it would have been nice and much simpler to use a couple of hose clamps on the front and back of the spring to hold it in place. And something to note here is to remember to tie the rear of the spring to the frame if it's the front hanger that let's go, the shackles at the rear of the spring allow the axle to jump up and down and could cause further damage if not restrained.

All in all I think we did alright with only those two breakages. We didn't end up needing most of the tools and odds and sods I brought but had I not had them... And we did need the tire patch kit and compressor, just not for us.

Some numbers for those so inclined, you know who you are. We drove about 8400 km in 26 days, over a time of 140 hours. We climbed/descended 46000 meter of hills. Our longest driving day was 11:30 our shortest was about 4 hours. The longest distance across Canada is about 5500 km and Japan is about 3000 km long. So we drove across Canada and the length of Japan.

So we left Calgary, after much planning and preparation (it's in my nature), on the 12th of July 2014 for an adventure we've been trying to make happen for three years. This year we were finally able to make it happen.
The first day was a long push, we wanted to get as far north/west as we could since most of that first section would be in pretty uninteresting country. So we went from Calgary to Fort St John and spent the night in a hotel. We stopped in Dawson Creek for the required pictures at the start of the Alaska Highway and looked for a place to camp that first night. However the one good campground we found next to an original section of the AlCan was full, and we just don't do RV parking lots. So hotel it was. Which was kind of nice after a long day of 11:30 on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke