87 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia Weekender with Subaru 2.5L in Denver

coguzzi

Adventurer
here is a hard to find 4x4 Syncro Westfalia pop top weekender style Vanagon with a fresh Subaru 2.5L motor installed. This van was just completed recently but must move on for various reasons. If you have never driven a 4wd Vanagon Syncro, you are missing out, unmatched in the views and the way they drive.

This van started life as a Syncro tin top passenger van with locking differential. The pop top was done the exact same way the Westfalia factory did it, buy swapping the entire roof and cross member bracing over. This is done by drilling out the factory spot welds on the donor and recipient roof sections and rewelding. Long process, but done correctly. This has been a popular thing to do lately since Syncro Westfalia's are getting harder and harder to find. This would be considered a “weekender” with a queen size bed down below (vs the small full camper bed) and the normal full size bed up top . Many people prefer this set up since it creates more living room and some consider it the “holy grail” of syncros.

Van then received new paint all around because of the body work involved in changing tops. The body was rust free to begin with and an original Colorado van. Van was meant to be used for its intended purpose of off highway travel, so paint job is not show quality that would make you feel bad with the first inevitable cowboy strip, but a good job nonetheless. New 3 window canvas upon install (way it should have been from the factory)

Then the interior was done in a 2 tone chocolate tweed/vinyl, this updated the look from the gold 80's to current time. The chocolate ties back into all the interior bits like the dash and handles. Gold piping was used to tie back into the gold of the carpet and door panels. turned out real nice.

Nothing was wrong with the original 2.1 really, I just prefer Subaru power and have owned a few of them. Motor is from a 02 Outback with 100K miles on it and OBD2 compliant. Car was driven before dismantle. Fresh head gaskets, timing belt, pulleys, water pump etc. No expense was spared in the Subaru conversion, reversed coolant manifold, stainless steel coolant pipes, 5qt shortened oil pan for stock ground clearance, new clutch, new cat, rebuilt axles, etc. All wiring and sensors are working. Gas mileage has been between 20-22mpg mixed driving. Wheels are Gowesty 16” steelies with BF Goodrich All Terrain TA 215/70/16 (28” tire) and have only 1500 miles on them. Matching 5th spare is mounted on a Rocky Mountain Westy tire swing on the driver side for the ever critical 5 tire rotation. An additional swing could be purchased from Rocky mountain westy for the passenger side in a number of configurations.

Many people prefer a van with this empty floor plan, or it could be considered a blank slate for your dream interior build, that is up to the buyer (and assistance can be offered)

DETAILS:

87 Vanagon Syncro with locking rear diff and 150K miles on chassis (probably not 100% accurate but close to)

86 Westfalia poptop, new 3 window canvas, new sky light guy skylight and all mechanisms, all new seals

fresh Savanna Beige Metallic paint (factory color) on clean rust free body

brand new 2 tone tweed interior upholstery

02 Subaru 2.5L SOHC OBD2 100K motor with fresh head gaskets, timing belt, idler pulleys, water pump. New Stage 2 clutch, reversed cooling system, new stainless steel coolant pipes, 5 qt low profile oil pan (stock subaru capacity), new cat. All electronics work, 6k tach, stock skid plates, etc.

Axles rebuilt, drive shaft is vibe free, Swepco 201 in the transmission and front diff (just changed), locking differential functional, front end rebuilt with new ball joints and tie rods

Brand new BF Goodrich all Terrian TA 215/70/16 on 16” steel wheels with a matching 5th spare on tire swing.

Van runs and drives like a dream. The 2.5l is the sweet spot for power, reliability and efficiency (ive had a 6 cyl syncro before as well). I have to many commitments right now to justify keeping her, so I might as well not be a hoarder and let someone else enjoy her.

$28,000 obo is the asking price and located just north of Denver CO. pm me or call 303-241-1753

ps, mostly need to free up cash, but--some partial trades considered--80 or 100 series land cruisers, vintage italian motorbikes, newer URAL patrol or gear up (already own an 03 patrol and made the mistake of seeing a '14) and some convertibles

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3169.jpg
    IMG_3169.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Very nice job on this syncro - The interior looks great too.

But you forgot to mention the steyr-puch badges on each side by the front doors :) nice touch

Does this still have the stock viscous coupler or a disconnect?

coguzzi

Adventurer
thanks and oh yeah, it is still running the stock VC, which is functioning perfectly. I thought about adding a decoupler, but even then i would still run a VC. ive driven some solid shaft conversions before and prefer the VC for usability. adding an agressive VC to the mix is probably the way to go

coguzzi

Adventurer
getting alot of questions about regear, it is running stock gearing and tranny is in perfect shape. I find the stock gearing is perfect for the subaru transplants (diesels not so much) and i have known a few who have regeared and regretted it later. of course opinions are ........

Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg
NICE SYNCRO

Hey Coguzzi,
First off, you have a very nicely set up Syncro and someone will be very lucky to own it. I had a similar one about 15 years ago - 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro in the same color as yours and I have always been sorry that I sold it. Right now I am not in the financial position to buy another vehicle, but I still have the original VW Westalia sink cabinet from it. I was saving for an expend vehicle and I want to sell it now.

I am not sure what it is worth and I don't really know where to list it to sell it, but I know it is in very good condition.

Do you have any thoughts on it? price, where can I list it to sell it?

When you get a buyer for your Syncro, please give them my contact info because it would fit perfectly in to your Syncro.

Thank you for any info and good luck selling your Syncro.
Jeff

I sent you a PM with my contact info.
Sorry -I did not mean to hijack you for sale thread.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Is this a 5 speed with the krawler gear? Looks like it only has the rear diff lock? I know someone who is looking for one and might be OK with just a rear diff lock...

coguzzi

Adventurer
sno dawg, agreed, try thesamba.com, lots of VW-heads over there lookinf for that stuff. if you were local id come get it myself

haf-E, it is a 4 speed PLUS low gear, as were all syncros. wouldn't consider it a 5 spd since the low gear is behind reverse and actuated the same way (push down and over). it does have the factory option rear locker, which is all we got here in the US of A (EU got all 3 as options). its easy to add a center locker (decoupler) and there are several options out there for it--and easy. front locker is available in this modern day and age (EU import usually) but slightly harder to find. triple knob/locker syncros are pretty cool for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior