Limitations of the ball hitch

erk469

The main reason a hitch ball fails is operator error. The jaring and slamming of a lunette is far more harsh on the tow rig and trailer than a ball set up. Especially in a lighter, bouncy, trailers while off road. Folks bring up the fact that heavy equiptment folks use lounette hitches all the time, yeah they do, however there is severe weight on them that causes them to stay planted in the pintle and not slam and bounce around. If I'm going to exceed the degree of safe operation of the hitch ball, I'd go with a multi-axis coupler like a lock n roll.

I use a 1 7/8 ball but I would love to have a lock and roll but it's just not cost effective for me. I have too seen ball failures due to operator error, using the wrong size ball, not using the pin or not closing the hitch, I could go on and on. I do alot of hauling aand towing and I have never had a failure. Just my .02.

RagnarD

Adventurer
The failures I have observed have all been on single axle trailers while loading or unloading. They could have been due to operator error but would not have happened with a pintle coupler.

java

Expedition Leader
The failures I have observed have all been on single axle trailers while loading or unloading. They could have been due to operator error but would not have happened with a pintle coupler.

soeculating here, but it Sounds like the coupler wasnt latched or the pin was not used. Same would have happened if the pintle hook wasn't closed. IE loading forces the tongue up and it comes off the ball or hook.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a multi axis hitch if needed but it requires removing my ball hitch (2 bolts). For me it was the need to know what my limitations were with a ball hitch and act accordingly.

Attachments

• trailer5.JPG
    trailer5.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles