Limitations of the ball hitch

java

Expedition Leader
We all know the ball hitch isn't the best for off road, mostly due to the lack degree of rotation.

But where is the limit? And what happens when you push it (breakage?)

Here is where i'm coming from: I have a trailer I use for camping, most weekends, and I have a small boat I take to the lake a couple times a week usually. I really dont want to have to try and change from ball to off road coupler all the time. My hitch is permanent, so it would mean unscrewing the ball every time.

This weekend I felt I was pushing the ball, we were on a seldom used road, and they had cut large water bars across it. About a 2' tall berm, followed by 2' deep trench. Really bad for breakover angles. The ball made some fun popping noises. I inspected it once we got back to the main road, and you could see where the shank from the ball had rubbed on the front edge of the 'pocket' and on the keeper also. No obvious damage to the latching mechanism, but im sure it wouldn't be good to do over and over.

My ball works fine 90% of the time for what I do, but I figured I would get peoples thoughts on using the ball. I was thinking of just carrying an extra latch, since I think if anything was to fail it would be the vertical threaded piece in there. But I dont really want to slam my trailer into the back of my truck if it does fail, been there done that.

And since everyone likes pics.
14563208783_898c830dea_c.jpg

spot

One option that will require some mods to the trailer is put a swivel in the trailer draw bar about 6" back from hitch.

java

Expedition Leader
One option that will require some mods to the trailer is put a swivel in the trailer draw bar about 6" back from hitch.

That would work for the side to side angle, but it was the up down that was the worst. The tongue on my trailer is a receiver tube, so testing mods would be easy.

java

Expedition Leader
I am not a fan of ball couplers on any trailer. Why not change the boat trailer coupler?

Really they are pretty much the standard for road going trailers. Pintle being the outlier.

I could change the one on the boat trailer. Hadn't thought of that. That would mean re-doing the tongue on that trailer, do able, but its weird chinese steel tube sizes that doesn't make going to 2" receiver tube easy.

rnArmy

Adventurer
A pintle hitch and lunette ring will give you all the up-and-down movement you want, and more side-to-side "twisting" than a ball and coupler system.

Do you have a 2" receiver on your truck and on the front of your trailer?

faulco

Observer
There are many arguments on this. Some Australians swear by the ball, others hate them. I have a ball as it's the only legal thing in UK for trailers now. Having used pintle they are great but noisy and in certain accidents make it worse where as the ball would have detached and saved the tow vehicle! Surely it's more personal preference and understanding the limitations.

java

Expedition Leader
I was thinking we could discuss the weaknesses of the ball hitch design, and if it's workable for my uses.

A pintle hitch and lunette ring will give you all the up-and-down movement you want, and more side-to-side "twisting" than a ball and coupler system.

Do you have a 2" receiver on your truck and on the front of your trailer?
Don't like the noise of the pintle. They are simple and effective, but that would also require modifying my boat trailer.

Front of the trailer is a 2" receiver.

Yes I have seen this. Off road only, sure. I tow on the highway. I'm dubious of the strength of that set up. Your hoping that bolt is strong enough. It's being used outside what it was designed for. It was originally for an implement locating arm on a tractor. Especially since it's in single shear, a panic stop or rear ending someone who an put out crazy forces. Yes it's a ~3/4" bolt but what is it graded at?

There are many arguments on this. Some Australians swear by the ball, others hate them. I have a ball as it's the only legal thing in UK for trailers now. Having used pintle they are great but noisy and in certain accidents make it worse where as the ball would have detached and saved the tow vehicle! Surely it's more personal preference and understanding the limitations.

I have personally driven past two trailers that dragged the tow vehicle over with them. I know UK hitches are a little different, but I wouldn't count on the ball letting go.

So far I haven't had issues with the ball, but after this weekend I felt I was doing serious stress to it.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I test several different legal ball set ups and my conclusion is a 1 7/8" standard ball hitch is the winner for off road use. It does have limits like most .....

Attachments

• trailer ball.jpg
    trailer ball.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 162
  • tuff2.JPG
    tuff2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 154
  • trlball.JPG
    trlball.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 147

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks Phil! Have you had any failures?

I took a few pictures of my coupler.

the front edge of the ball, in the center, is flat, the radius is not like it is the rest of the way around the socket.
14829546904_7c0dc4cc6a_c.jpg

The 'ears' on the locking mechanism look to have a little metal 'pushed' up at the outside edges
14829546474_35b05814bd_c.jpg

The back part that goes over the rivet look a bit worn.
14645183160_332853ba10_c.jpg

Now this couple has quite a number of miles on it, and doesn't show any extremely major wear, and I don't have another one to compare to. (I can try to get some of the boat, but that one is harder to get pics of) does this seem like normal wear for the conditions its been in?

engineer types want to see what part might fail first?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
A ball is a ball. They are rated by weight just like hitches. If you are worried about breaking it, get a Class V rated ball.

Looking at some pics on your 4Runner thread, it appears to me that there is a receiver there. Not sure what you mean about permanent. That's usually either a Class I hitch or a hole in bumper.

java

Expedition Leader
A ball is a ball. They are rated by weight just like hitches. If you are worried about breaking it, get a Class V rated ball.

Looking at some pics on your 4Runner thread, it appears to me that there is a receiver there. Not sure what you mean about permanent. That's usually either a Class I hitch or a hole in bumper.

Not worried about breaking breaking the ball. I'm worried about the coupler holding up to the extra forces of pushing the ball hitch to its maximum angles.

It's permanent as I have a cross bar welded to it for my tire carrier. But yes it's a standard hitch, it just has some buts welded to it and bolted to the frame rail. So it's hard to remove.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior