Oh boy. -NOW a build thread

trail-explorer

Adventurer
Hopefully the flatbed you have won't have the high mounted tail lamps on it at the back of the cab - those crazy things will reflect off the back of the camper at night and get really annoying while driving.

deminimis

Explorer
Yup. I'm thinking weather pack quick disconnects for when the camper in on there. The auto dimming rear view mirror will help though (when my third brake light would kick on and reflect into the cab with my former Dmax, the mirror made quick work of it). Ideally, wiring the headache rack lights through one of the upfitter switches would be best, but that might be too much of a hassle. Don't know though. If the lights are wired to ground, then it might be easier.

deminimis

Explorer
Step 1 completed. Got truck and flatbed mounted low:
20150107_150031.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
I have a 2,000lb camper, but now you have me lusting over a more industrial payload vehicle. Looking forward to seeing how you feel about the camper on the new truck.

deminimis

Explorer
Getting closer to that point. Spent a good portion of the weekend shortening the propane compartment (hung approx 4" below the rest of the camper). Not moving the camper now while the 3M 5200 cures. Snagged a pair of 20# DOT tanks to replace the 30 pounders. Ordered a replacement compartment door (going to try to cut and weld my old one to fit, but it's good to have a Plan "B").

deminimis

Explorer
Will do. Picked up 200' of 1x1.5 0.125 6061 (T6) yesterday. I'll start building the structure (really a cradle) this weekend. We redesigned the lower boxes. Won't see those until mid-Feb, however. Will stick with steel for those (to match the flatbed) and they will be 60 (at longest)x24x16. Those boxes will primarily get used for compressor, 20-ton air assisted jack, jack, tools, straps, BBQ and the like. Upper boxes will be alumn and 8' long to fill the camper void along the side. Those boxes will get the toys (kites, kite boards, snow skis/boards, and stuff of that nature, plus camping gear and provisions. Waiting until the alumn cradle is completed to determine the final size of those boxes. Someday, if I ever recover from the expensive of outfitting this truck, I'd like to install a small diesel generator in the driver's lower box. Powertech makes a small unit for Sprinters that would fit nicely in the box (it would install from a future cutout underneath the box). However, way too much $ for this guy right now. My Buckstop front bumper has been delayed due to a mfr equipment failure. Already a week past due. N-Fab nerf/steps will go on this weekend (mount kit was lost from box, but N-Fab quickly sent me a new mount kit). Discovered that this thing really needs front mud flaps...seriously needs them. Just traveling down a muddy gravel road this week, slowly, I had mud covering the sides of the cab and the entire length of the deck that sticks out past the cab side. That would coat the camper. So, Duraflaps arrive today and I'll get those one when I do the steps this weekend. Good thing it's a long weekend and I have quite the to-do list.

Last edited:

deminimis

Explorer
Nerf steps, front mud flaps, propane box and door cut down so not to interferr with the flat bed. First test fit of the camper on the new truck.

20150118_144739.jpg

eqHzpGBmun9eHpItvWjn_q55ebXzEQPcOw7GSkfNZL0=w664-h518-no

20150118_161235.jpg

deminimis

Explorer
I didn't measure, but it didn't sag much (I was watching and I'd guess a couple inches). There's not much in the camper right now, so total weight is probably around 4200. Not even half of what I get to play with. Regardless, it's getting rear helper bags.

deminimis

Explorer
Okay. On gravel, rear of FB at approx 41". With camper, approx 39.5". Now that's what I'm talking about. Just cut off the drop down side rails. They were a nightmare to deal w/ when loading the camper (plus, with the boxes, they'd always be in the down position. Now, I need to go wire a 7 way plug at the headache rack. At least the weather is good today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles