M101A3 Budget Build

FandL

JK ADDICTION
Once you drop the axel, drum brakes, and wheels, you will loss considerable weight. I replaced my original equipment with a lightweight Dexter axel and alloy wheels. Obviously I put wieght back on but my M101 had a dry wieght of 1000 lbs after I was done.

Lipek

Observer
Replaced lights with the led and the tent arrived
zumuvygy.jpg
any4ubep.jpg

Lipek

Observer
Made some progress on the trailer, with help from a friend we made extendable rack using telescoping steel(now trying to figure out the shock mounts). Also mounted 11lbs propane using quick fists for now, also bedlined the inside of the trailer.
I'm really happy with the tuffstuff RTT and awning, does anyone know if I should waterproof it?
bajy5yzu.jpg
ebuveja7.jpg
9apy8egy.jpg
qare3e4u.jpg
u3atezan.jpg
he3ymuvu.jpg

Phoenix

Adventurer
Very nice!

We shouldn't park next to each other, its going to look like we each built the same thing.

I'm going with a home made awning. Tarp and some tent poles. I really like the look of yours, who makes it?

Regarding the gas springs, my suggestion is to go lighter than you think you need. I started at 4, 100 lb springs. My thought was the rack and the tent would be at least 300 lbs, and other stuff would find its way onto the rack. Couldn't get the rack back down without 4 ratchet straps. Changed to 75 lb springs, now I can do it by myself with the help of two ratchet straps.

For the telescoping posts, what did you use for lubrication? At first any rattle can lubrication would work, as it got colder and more bugs, sand, trail dust, metal shavings, etc got in there, I started using Marine Grease. It is holding up much better than the WD 40, PB Blaster, and such.

Looks great!

Phoenix

Adventurer
As your rack is inside the bed, you could weld one mount to the male post, and the other mount on the bed wall.

I would resist the urge to weld onto the female post as it can warp the steel, and that isn't fun. Don't ask, I'm not talking about it.

Lipek

Observer
I bought 65lbs 37" shocks but now need additional shorter shocks to fully extend the rack, I'm planning to mount them side by side (kind of) on the outside. I grinded the female square steel a little then painted it and now it's moving freely with no lubrication. Can't wait to meet you in person and exchange ideas.

Phoenix

Adventurer
I bought 65lbs 37" shocks but now need additional shorter shocks to fully extend the rack, I'm planning to mount them side by side (kind of) on the outside. I grinded the female square steel a little then painted it and now it's moving freely with no lubrication. Can't wait to meet you in person and exchange ideas.

Looking forward to sitting around the trailers in VT. We should meet up in North Jersey. I'll PM you my intended route. Goal is to stay away from NYC.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
If you guys pass north of the city let me know. I too have a M101-A2 and would love to see them both.

I am north of the Tappan Zee.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior