EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Hey yall.

First of all, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I am an outdoorsman and Jeep-addict. Some of you may know me from Jeepforum, local boards, instagram, NAXJA, etc. I have been around Jeeps basically all of my life. In 2008 I bought my TJ which is currently my rockcrawler/weekend warrior/sunny day vehicle. My TJ also served as my DD until earlier this year when I purchased my 2000 XJ.

The primary purpose of the XJ is to get me to and from work and serve as my DD. However, its secondary purpose is to serve as an Expedition vehicle for myself, my wife, and my dog.

Considering I have 3 projects (TJ, XJ, and a Waggy), don't expect this build to be one of quick progression. Nonetheless, feel free to follow along as my XJ transforms into a solid, budget-minded expedition vehicle.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Some pics of my Jeeps...

Eugene (The TJ)
P4270031.jpg

IMG_20140712_112957_zpsae625553.jpg

The Waggy
20140503_102609_zpsa35643d6.jpg

The Expedition Rig (XJ)
EEC725F9-28D0-453E-BDB9-38DD8BC33EC5_6_zps3706dc60.jpg

EEC725F9-28D0-453E-BDB9-38DD8BC33EC5_1_zps622cca9e.jpg

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Clearly ground clearance was an issue. I knew I needed a lift, but I didn't want to sacrifice ride quality as this vehicle needs to be comfortable to drive on a daily basis and on long trips. I also didn't want to be the ************** who throws on an BB/AAL and claims that it rides "better than stock."

Finally, this is an expedition vehicle. What happens when I am 2,000 miles from home and my aftermarket 3 inch leaf pack snaps? I'd be SOL. One of this themes in this build is using parts that are commonly sourced no matter where I may be. Therefore, I opted for the HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocation kit and a pair of RC extended shackles. In the unlikely event that the shackles break, I can change them out at any auto parts store in the country for some GM "lowering" shackles. In the event that my leafs break, I can find replacement OEM leafs at any junkyard in the country. The lift up front is just a poly spacer lift.

Brackets/Shackles
IMG_20140730_180954_zps3b79a94b.jpg

Afterwards
20140803_163223_zps677b5c88.jpg

docwatson

Adventurer
XJ's looking snazzy. What other plans do you have for it? How much lift did you get with the brackets and shackles?

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
XJ's looking snazzy. What other plans do you have for it? How much lift did you get with the brackets and shackles?

I netted 2.5" of lift.

Plans are as follows:
- 31x10.50R15 A/T Tires (on the way now)
- Homemade rear cargo drawer system
- Backseat dog platform
- Roof rack and accessories
- Rear tire swing
- Steel front bumper
- Rock sliders
- GPS/Mapping Capability
- Upgraded steering
- Possibly a Scanguage

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
This afternoon I've been working on a mockup for the rear seat dog platform. Gonna get the design nailed down then hopefully build the completed version sometime this weekend. Looks pretty nice so far.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Got the base for the dog platform cut out. Tomorrow I have to carpet it and add the support beams and it'll be a done deal. I'll post picks of the finished product tomorrow.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Base of the platform is done. I'll get final pics when installed but it isn't quite done yet.

My inspiration:
I was on a flight a few weeks ago so of course I had to browse through the Skymall catalog. Most of it, as you know, is complete crap and gimmicks but I stumbled across this and realized that it was actually quite a neat idea:
205536937dw.jpg

http://www.skymall.com/all-in-one-carrier-for-4-door-vehicles/CDI101.html#cgid=10710&start=4

I have several problems with that product:
1) It doesn't look to be super well-built
2) It doesn't match my interior well
3) It's overpriced ($130). A folding table at Wal-Mart is like $40. Same basic technology...
4) It's universal fit so there are going to be gaps and issues

My logic:
Here is a pic of my backseat
EEC725F9-28D0-453E-BDB9-38DD8BC33EC5_10_zps7818241b.jpg

Here is a pic of my dog
20140129_084027_zps8d5174a1.jpg

As the XJ is my expedition rig, and my dog is a member of the crew, I have to consider him when building the vehicle. As you all know, there isn't exactly a plethora of space inside the Jeep. As such, the back cargo area has to be used for exactly that purpose...cargo. However, he still needs an isolated space for himself. Given his size, the bottom half of the stock seat isn't exactly overly comfortable for long excursions.

Solution:
Design and build my own custom fit rear seat dog platform. This will serve two purposes:
1) Provide him with a larger space for trips
2) Create useful storage in the rear footwell that is (a) protected from sight from unwanted outside viewers and (b)separate from the dog.
(b) is important because it keeps things away from him (like food/treats) that he doesn't need to be able to reach by himself and it keeps him from falling off the seat onto whatever is in the footwell in the event of a sudden stop.

The product:
I still have to mount the support braces (legs) but this gives you an idea of what I made.
20140812_064946_zpsd50f9475.jpg

Laid in place (forgive the resolution, it was taken at 6am this morning. Better pics to come...)
20140812_065243_zpsc4bba962.jpg

Once the finished product is in place, I will be sure to include a test pic as well.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Cost:
Wood...already had on hand so cost was $0
Carpet...$18
Carpet Adhesive (use liquid cement next time)...$6
Hinge for support beams (legs)...$3

Total cost...$27

Skymall cost...$130

Savings...$103

Satisfaction of homebuilt quality...priceless.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Tires got installed yesterday. 31x10.50 Definity (Cooper) Dakota A/T's.

I went with these tires for a few reasons. They're manufactured by Cooper, they have a 50K mile tread warranty and, most important, the price. As some of you may know the A/T is discontinued and has been replaced with the Dakota AT2. The guy at Pep Boys sourced me the last set of 31 inch A/Ts in existence (5 tires).

Price? $19.99 per tire.

20140816_134453_zps2e90b64f.jpg

20140816_172529_zpsda2e8b25.jpg

20140816_172632_zps880d3723.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior