Trailer Suggestions Needed

River Hill

I currently need a small utility trailer to pull behind my Wrangler JKU. I am thinking something in size of a 4x6. I do need something that I can take off road on fire trails and on the beaches in NC.

I am looking for some suggestions on a basic off road trailer that I can eventually convert into a RTT trailer when needed. My immediate need is for light duties around the house, hauling kayaks and the beaches in NC. I would like to start with a good base and move on from there.

I thought about purchasing a utility trailer and doing the build from there, but my thoughts are by the time I rebuild it and put money into it, I could have something like a basic Ruger, Manley or ??

Any suggestions on trailers to consider or ideas would be appreciated.

jays0n

Adventurer
Check out http://dinoot.com if you want something to match your rig and keep the budget down. I'm super happy with mine and have been dragging it around behind my FJ all Summer. My build thread is linked on that page somewhere. I have no relation to the company, just a satisfied customer :) Good luck and drop me a PM if you have any questions about the trailer.

Septu

Explorer
This just screams M101 or the M416 1/4 ton trailer. Great little 6x4 utility trailer, that is also a great platform to build it out.

ikk

Adventurer
I am going through the same issues as you right now. the first thing you need to do is decide on what you want. If all you are looking for is a 4x6 trailer with a mount for your Kayaks well just go on Craigslist and look for something close to what you think is ideal. 4x6 used trailers can range from $350 on up. you can then take it to a welder and weld on a raised rack, buy some thule Kayak racks and be it. Now once you start thinking you want to match your rims to your truck, you want a locking cover, you want Jeep style fenders if your axle needs to be 2000 or 3500lb, now you start increasing the cost significantly if you cannot do it yourself. Thats where in lies my issues. I am no welder, I have friends who dabble in it and are willing to help me. I also like to DIY. I am in the process of just trying to find the right trailer at the right price for my needs.

There are people on this site that find trailers for a few hundred that look like came out of an apocalypse and for around a grand make amazing things that looks as if should be in a showroom. Something to think about is if you do it yourself and something breaks down in the field the more knowledgeable you will be to come up with a solution to fix it.

I had similar requirements and went through the same thought process. Absolutely get the Manley... You will not regret it and can start using the trailer immediately...

dmc1

Adventurer
Your first post could have easily been mine. I had the exact same questions and situation. Something for around the house to pull behind my Jeep, fire road ready, kayaking and yes, trips to the OBX. I looked at many options and decided on building my own trailer. I also outfitted my aluminum trailer by lifting it, putting bigger tires on it and making it where I could install a RTT in the future if desired. I also made my expo trailer where I could install a RTT. If you can afford to buy one that is ready to go, that is not a bad thing. It just depends on how much you like to work on or build things. Good luck! My expo trailer and JKU will be at the OBX in Sept. And most of all welcome to one of the best sites you will find!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Getta TENTRAX--

--$2000 used to $9000 new-

A lotta different options and they generally come with Dexter 3500lb axles--

If you get it new it'll be painted your jeep color/same wheels tires and comes /w tent-

Will easily carry boats/Kayaks--bodies-

Mine is 7 years old--still perfect-though modified-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

WahooJeep

Observer
With a JKU, you can easily get a M101a2 trailer. They are easier to find than a M416, and cheaper. I've converted mine to an hardshell camper, but stock it has brakes, a tailgate, and a stabilizer jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior