Petition to End the 25 year import law and bring it down to 15 years

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So just think of all the amazing land-cruisers and hiluxes that would be available to us if they got rid of this archaic dumb law.

Linkt to article
http://jalopnik.com/lets-kill-the-25-year-import-ban-with-this-white-house-1617549580

Link to petition
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...-importation-non-conforming-cars-and/PhZ4RMgz

I may just be thoroughly confused, but isn't the "ban" an "exemption"? I thought that vehicles 25 years and old were exempt from EPA/DOT compliance. Wouldn't repealing this merely eliminate the 25 year exemption and require all vehicles to be compliant regardless of year of manufacture?

MotoDave

Explorer
Heck, I wish California hadn't frozen the 25 year rule in 2000! We'd be able to get 1989 vehicles by now, meaning 70 series Land Cruisers from Canada would be fair game. Stupid laws, grumble grumble.

Last edited:

paranoid56

Adventurer
Heck, I wish California hadn't frozen the 25 year rule in 2000! We'd be able to get 1989 vehicles by now, meaning 70 series Land Cruisers from Canada would be fair game. Stupid laws, grumble grumble.

we can still have those, that 25 rule you are talking about is just the smog cut off. anything older then 75 you dont have to smog.
i have seen a few hiluxes here that are legal

troyboy162

Adventurer
Without even knowing about the law you can guess they picked 25 years to make sure it's just collectors interested in the vehicles. At 15 it would defeat the purpose since that opens up relevant vehicles to more then just nostalgic car lovers. Good luck but your pretty much asking the govy to ignore there safty regs.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Without even knowing about the law you can guess they picked 25 years to make sure it's just collectors interested in the vehicles. At 15 it would defeat the purpose since that opens up relevant vehicles to more then just nostalgic car lovers. Good luck but your pretty much asking the govy to ignore there safty regs.

works fine for Canada

overactor

Observer
There are plenty of cars I would love to import as a builder of rally cars and a rally competitor, but truth be told a mid 90's diesel defender that would be stolen by the atf would be one of the first thngs I would buy. I love that the govt came after those defenders and their owners and several other types of vehicles, will not let us import Hiluxes ect yet here at fort bragg there are hiluxes and newer surfs driven by the army and airforce. Special operations or not why can they be plated and driven here on public roads and i am here in a taco with a gas motor.

SGTCap

Adventurer
There are plenty of cars I would love to import as a builder of rally cars and a rally competitor, but truth be told a mid 90's diesel defender that would be stolen by the atf would be one of the first thngs I would buy. I love that the govt came after those defenders and their owners and several other types of vehicles, will not let us import Hiluxes ect yet here at fort bragg there are hiluxes and newer surfs driven by the army and airforce. Special operations or not why can they be plated and driven here on public roads and i am here in a taco with a gas motor.

Some animals are more equal than others

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior