Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero 2000 - Over-landing Family Truck - long term enhancement

raysobi

Adventurer
Hello All,

I had been reading and lurking for months on Exped Forum, and finally pulled the trigger on purchasing the Gen 2.5 Monty. Initially I was planning to purchase the 80 or 100 series LC, but the more I looked into it, I can not justify spending $ 5000 USD + for 160K truck at the minimum!

Short story -

While I was in Thailand for the project meeting, we traveled from Bangkok to the outer skirt and then I saw this:

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

I was amazed how awesome the truck look and vowed myself to do more research once I get back to the US, and yes! found this section! (Funny thing is, I was never once tried to click the Mitsubishi section lol, and I wish I could have done it sooner).

This is what I bought, I got it shipped from California.

IMAG0691.jpg

One thing about the shipper, I had never done this before...they could have told me that the darn truck is too big for the street and I was willing to meet them somewhere...

Exterior pictures:

IMAG0692.jpg

The Beast! There she is!

IMAG0696.jpg

Driver side's profile

IMAG0697.jpg

Front

IMAG0698.jpg

Passenger side's profile

IMAG0699.jpg

Baby got back

Interior Pictures

IMAG0700.jpg

Front passenger

IMAG0701.jpg

Rear passenger

Summary

Overall, I am delightful with the 14 years old car. This Mitsu had about 73K mile and it drives like a champ.

However, there are several things that I need to look into:

Major repairs

• AC is blowing hot air..I opened the hood and I could see the hissing noise coming from the compressor, I am suspecting the leakage somewhere...

*updated* 8/17/14

Refilled a Freon and the car is blowing cold as ice....I'm hoping this is all I needed, let's see in a couple weeks.
  • 4x4 light is blinking when I engaged and disengaged to 2WD mode, I read it somewhere and it seemed like to be a common problem via http://4wd.blogeasy.com/

*UPDATED* 8/17/14
I lube the actuator with grease but still no luck.

However, all the gears are working fine except 2WD which I can live without.

Minor repairs

• When I opened the door, the interior lights will lit up and went off after couple seconds
  • Alignment probably need to be done as well, it steered left when I test drove

Maintenance**

• Timing belt replacement -done
  • Timing belt pulley - done
  • Timing belt tensioner - done
  • Water pump - done
  • Serpentine/drive belt - done
  • Oil change - done
  • new wipers - done

**if I am missing some basic things, feel free to suggest!

Future Mod/enhancement:

Just bought a mig welder, this should be fun project for me. Last time I welded something was about 10 years ago...helped my dad tig the fences...this is going to be epic fun..or fail :snorkel::Wow1:

• Custom front bumper
  • Custom Slider
  • RTT

This is what on my priority list. I am totally new to this home/garage project thing and I am looking forward to share my long-term project and seek guidance from all of you.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I am lucky enough to visit Thailand several times a year for work since 2010. Lots of Pajeros there. Almost all diesel. I've brought back many parts.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
thats a nice low mileage monty. I love that color.
Id recommend getting a locked rear end from a wrecking yard. An absolute must for a 4wheeler.

raysobi

Adventurer
I am lucky enough to visit Thailand several times a year for work since 2010. Lots of Pajeros there. Almost all diesel. I've brought back many parts.
What did you get?

I saw many trucks with a fender mirror and they look awesome!

du5a3aqa.jpg

And probably Pajero emblem or some sort for my next trip.

raysobi

Adventurer
thats a nice low mileage monty. I love that color.
Id recommend getting a locked rear end from a wrecking yard. An absolute must for a 4wheeler.
Thank you Euro, I will look into it.

I also admired your truck as well. In fact I was actually looking for your color or white.

But things happened for a reason and I ended with this the green beast and I love it!

I might plasti dip in near future :cool:

nckwltn

Explorer
Thank you Euro, I will look into it.

I also admired your truck as well. In fact I was actually looking for your color or white.

But things happened for a reason and I ended with this the green beast and I love it!

I might plasti dip in near future :cool:

If you're in SoCal, i've got a rear end with a locker and the 4.27 gears that came factory. They are in my garage waiting for the scrap yard or a home. You'll need to supply the air pump, but it will bolt right in. I upgraded to the 4.636 gears.

raysobi

Adventurer
If you're in SoCal, i've got a rear end with a locker and the 4.27 gears that came factory. They are in my garage waiting for the scrap yard or a home. You'll need to supply the air pump, but it will bolt right in. I upgraded to the 4.636 gears.
Thanks! I am currently living in Houston, Texas. Hence fixing my AC is my number one priority:p:eek:.

I will definitely put it in the wish list.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ray, if you have the winter package with heated leather seats then you already have the rear diff lock, no need to buy one if you already have it. Good luck with getting it set up, these are a pain to work on the engine but I feel it's worth it. I replaced one of my Jeeps with a 98 Montero back in January and other than lacking on power I love it so far.

raysobi

Adventurer
Ray, if you have the winter package with heated leather seats then you already have the rear diff lock, no need to buy one if you already have it. Good luck with getting it set up, these are a pain to work on the engine but I feel it's worth it. I replaced one of my Jeeps with a 98 Montero back in January and other than lacking on power I love it so far.
Jeep, I do have a heated seat but how do I know I have a rear locking diff?

I thought there supposed to be a button or some sort next to the stick shift.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader

2000s didn't come with diff locks.

raysobi

Adventurer
uploadfromtaptalk1407869013769.jpg

Changed/flush all the fluids.

uploadfromtaptalk1407869069789.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407869088429.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? This metal dish on both side seems like it is warped.

Should I be worried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles