Show off you Laptop/Tablet/GPS mounts please

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Information overload much?

Seriously, if you need that much data in front of you while driving anywhere, you've got issues. KISS

Nope, no issues and I don't NEED any of this :)...let's walk through this...

Backup camera...essential for driving an H3 :) Also, when I'm pulling my M416 offroad, and get into an off-camber situation (have done this many times exploring new areas), I want to be able to keep my eyes forward, while still having a sense of what the trailer is doing. It's also great for jackknifing the trailer on a narrow dead-end trail while trying to turn around. Given the poor rear-view mirror visibility, I can easily glance over and see what the trailer is doing without taking my eyes off the trailer. Also, when pulling on the highway (this or a dump trailer) I can easily see what's going on back there (flapping tarps, barkdusting flying all over the freeway, etc).

OBD diagnostics...certainly a luxury. But on more than one occasion, I've been towing in extremely hot weather (think offroad, Nevada, 120 degrees)...knowing what my transmission is doing long before an idiot light comes on is invaluable. During regular off-road towing, I can easily see engine temperature, engine load, and gas mileage. Why does the gas mileage matter? Well, when you are hours from the nearest gas station, changing your driving style slightly to get an extra couple mpgs makes a difference :) Also, Torque allows you to read any CE lights (and clear them) - I once had a MAF sensor come loose in the middle of nowhere. When I went to start the truck the next morning, it went into 'limp-home' mode...something I would have never been able to resolve/fix without knowing the code and then being able to reset the computer. Also, Torque tracks my location and a number of sensors, so I can come back later and see what the truck was doing given a particular environment (outside temp, angle of approach, engine RPMs, etc). Again, a total luxury, but one that is almost a necessity on modern vehicles beat to crap in the middle of nowhere.

Android tablet...Google Maps...use primarily as a 'macro-level' view of where I'm at, plus to find any local on-road POIs (brewpubs mostly :)). Backcountry navigator has a number of different maps, including Accuterra, and I have loaded their off-road POIs, so I can easily see interesting things near me without having to stop and look them up in a book. BCN also has a 'tracking' feature so when I come back home after exploring I know exactly where I was. I can also easily mark important points if I ever want to go back later. I can also load C:Geo if I want to Geonerd and find some caches.

Windows tablet...NatGeo Topo...have loaded all NFS/BLM GIS data, including waterfalls, campgrounds, historical sites, etc. Makes it easy to see there's a waterfall 3 miles due north of where I'm at right now. Also provides tracking + breadcrumbs so I can find out where I went the next summer when I can't remember if I turn right or left at the burned out tree stump. Delorme TOPO...has a good 3D feature that allows me to visualize slopes, angles, and sightlines. Slightly different map structure, so some things show up on Delorme you can't find elsewhere. MS Mappoint is a fantastic on-road POI database, along with fairly accurate maps. Also provide tracking for later reference. Mappoint is my go-to when I'm on-road but without cell service (google is best within cell range).

I also have a Garmin Montata...mostly for Geocaching, but also for any outta the rig explorations. I also keep a voice recorder so I can quickly make a note "Beautiful view from GPS point 47 overlooking a valley looking towards Mt Adams" - without ever having to fiddle around or mess with the computers.

I spend more time looking out the window than I do at the screens...if I only had a single screen I'd certainly be 'tinkering' and switching apps, etc. By having more screens, it's less work and I can spend more time actually paying attention to what's outside the truck. They are only distractions when necessary.

And I also keep a full compliment of bother Gazeteers + I stop at all local FS and BLM headquarters for their maps, including MVUMs (which I also have on the laptop so I don't have to stop and dig through a 1" thick book of maps wondering if this narrow road off the to the left is legal to explore).

I guess my point in all of this (other than I don't feel like working at work today) is that technology can certainly be a crutch, but it can also be a great help if you use it correctly.

Cheers :beer:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm in total agreement-

Nope, no issues and I don't NEED any of this :)...let's walk through this...

Backup camera...essential for driving an H3 :) Also, when I'm pulling my M416 offroad, and get into an off-camber situation (have done this many times exploring new areas), I want to be able to keep my eyes forward, while still having a sense of what the trailer is doing. It's also great for jackknifing the trailer on a narrow dead-end trail while trying to turn around. Given the poor rear-view mirror visibility, I can easily glance over and see what the trailer is doing without taking my eyes off the trailer. Also, when pulling on the highway (this or a dump trailer) I can easily see what's going on back there (flapping tarps, barkdusting flying all over the freeway, etc).

OBD diagnostics...certainly a luxury. But on more than one occasion, I've been towing in extremely hot weather (think offroad, Nevada, 120 degrees)...knowing what my transmission is doing long before an idiot light comes on is invaluable. During regular off-road towing, I can easily see engine temperature, engine load, and gas mileage. Why does the gas mileage matter? Well, when you are hours from the nearest gas station, changing your driving style slightly to get an extra couple mpgs makes a difference :) Also, Torque allows you to read any CE lights (and clear them) - I once had a MAF sensor come loose in the middle of nowhere. When I went to start the truck the next morning, it went into 'limp-home' mode...something I would have never been able to resolve/fix without knowing the code and then being able to reset the computer. Also, Torque tracks my location and a number of sensors, so I can come back later and see what the truck was doing given a particular environment (outside temp, angle of approach, engine RPMs, etc). Again, a total luxury, but one that is almost a necessity on modern vehicles beat to crap in the middle of nowhere.

Android tablet...Google Maps...use primarily as a 'macro-level' view of where I'm at, plus to find any local on-road POIs (brewpubs mostly :)). Backcountry navigator has a number of different maps, including Accuterra, and I have loaded their off-road POIs, so I can easily see interesting things near me without having to stop and look them up in a book. BCN also has a 'tracking' feature so when I come back home after exploring I know exactly where I was. I can also easily mark important points if I ever want to go back later. I can also load C:Geo if I want to Geonerd and find some caches.

Windows tablet...NatGeo Topo...have loaded all NFS/BLM GIS data, including waterfalls, campgrounds, historical sites, etc. Makes it easy to see there's a waterfall 3 miles due north of where I'm at right now. Also provides tracking + breadcrumbs so I can find out where I went the next summer when I can't remember if I turn right or left at the burned out tree stump. Delorme TOPO...has a good 3D feature that allows me to visualize slopes, angles, and sightlines. Slightly different map structure, so some things show up on Delorme you can't find elsewhere. MS Mappoint is a fantastic on-road POI database, along with fairly accurate maps. Also provide tracking for later reference. Mappoint is my go-to when I'm on-road but without cell service (google is best within cell range).

I also have a Garmin Montata...mostly for Geocaching, but also for any outta the rig explorations. I also keep a voice recorder so I can quickly make a note "Beautiful view from GPS point 47 overlooking a valley looking towards Mt Adams" - without ever having to fiddle around or mess with the computers.

I spend more time looking out the window than I do at the screens...if I only had a single screen I'd certainly be 'tinkering' and switching apps, etc. By having more screens, it's less work and I can spend more time actually paying attention to what's outside the truck. They are only distractions when necessary.

And I also keep a full compliment of bother Gazeteers + I stop at all local FS and BLM headquarters for their maps, including MVUMs (which I also have on the laptop so I don't have to stop and dig through a 1" thick book of maps wondering if this narrow road off the to the left is legal to explore).

I guess my point in all of this (other than I don't feel like working at work today) is that technology can certainly be a crutch, but it can also be a great help if you use it correctly.

Cheers :beer:

I use my Toughbook/Tom Tom at will-

snowlaptop060.jpg

SKYPEmobile012.jpg

SKYPEmobile011.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

theksmith

Explorer
i'm on my third "carputer". the first was a 8.4" touchscreen tied to a remote mounted laptop. the second was a Motorola XOOM 10.1" tablet. i'm just wrapping up the install of my new Sony Z2 tablet (details here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4002). things have gotten simpler on each iteration.

one consistent piece to the puzzle until the latest version has been RAM Mount components - even prior to the carputers for GPS mounting. i've never had a single problem with any of their stuff. lately they are making less dedicated cradles, preferring instead to list the their X-Grip universal mount for most tablets. that works well from what i've seen with friends that have it, but it can look a bit bulky if you care about that sort of thing.

my latest mount is using a ProClipUSA cradle with integrated charger (actually made by Brodit). i'm very happy with it so far. ProCilp also has some adapters to work with the standard AMPS hole pattern so you can combine RAM, ProClip and custom brackets to get what you want.

the gadgetry evolution:

P1110123.JPG

P1070300.JPG

gfiero

Adventurer
My Radiation sources

I run delorme on the laptop most of the time and have Garmin Base Camp to use on the Nuvi. The Samsung with built in GPS uses Backcountry Navigator has PDF Maps which I am playing with. The Nuvi has a SD card loaded with the 24K Topo's. I have played with IPhone with a couple of maps and I mainly just use Google on it.

I have tried to put the delorme on the android put it does not work there. I really like the size of the Samsung 8" and have left the computer in the bag as a backup. the only problem with Backcountry Navigator was been making sure I download all the maps I need for any trip. It takes some time I just can't get in a hurry.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Use sd cards and download all maps and just change cards when needed. I am buying a few 128gb cards for our tablets.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Good thread. I'm looking to add some technology to my truck this year. I love the idea of a map that keeps up with you when you move.

jwhutch

Observer
I cut and pasted this from another nav-device thread I replied to since it seems relevant to this thread, as well.

Here are some pics of my setup:
IMGP0166-M.jpg

Components are Samsung Galaxy Note III (Verizon) in an Otterbox Defender case, Ram X-Grip Phablet holder, Ram double socket standard length arm, a Ram motorcycle handlebar clamp base, and some miscellaneous hardware.
Here's the hardware assembly I used:
20150109_131036-M.jpg

I replaced the M8 SHCS that came with the mount with an M6x1x110mm SHCS to get the length I needed to clear the a-pillar trim, and to match the existing threads in the A-pillar. I used a 3/8 x 1.5" NPT pipe nipple to mock it up as proof of concept and it worked out great, the spacing is just right. Whenever I get around to it I'll get an aluminum standoff to replace it, but it's working fine as-is, for now. MUCH more stable than the old suction cup mounting base.
Here's a couple more:
IMGP0164-M.jpg

IMGP0169-M.jpg

I went this route in order to get rid of the suction cup mounted on the window because my truck has gigantic A-pillars as it is, and the suction mount just made things worse. With the new setup my phone only blocks the A-pillar, so it's not making my visibility any worse that it already is; the first photo is pretty close to where my eyeballs normally live while driving. If you look at the windshield in the 1st and last pics you can see residue where it used to be stuck on. Truck is an '03 Dodge 2500, for reference.
I'm happy with this setup, so the next step is going to be coming up with a charging solution that doesn't involve cables draped all over the dash.

What is the program that you are running on your note in the picture?

jwhutch

Observer
i'm on my third "carputer". the first was a 8.4" touchscreen tied to a remote mounted laptop. the second was a Motorola XOOM 10.1" tablet. i'm just wrapping up the install of my new Sony Z2 tablet (details here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4002). things have gotten simpler on each iteration.

one consistent piece to the puzzle until the latest version has been RAM Mount components - even prior to the carputers for GPS mounting. i've never had a single problem with any of their stuff. lately they are making less dedicated cradles, preferring instead to list the their X-Grip universal mount for most tablets. that works well from what i've seen with friends that have it, but it can look a bit bulky if you care about that sort of thing.

my latest mount is using a ProClipUSA cradle with integrated charger (actually made by Brodit). i'm very happy with it so far. ProCilp also has some adapters to work with the standard AMPS hole pattern so you can combine RAM, ProClip and custom brackets to get what you want.

the gadgetry evolution:

P1110123.JPG

P1070300.JPG

Nicely done!

mnewxcv

Observer
Like to see the home made stuff. Especially the wood grain center console above that almost matches the dash.
So here is my mount for 10" tablet. Was supposed to be a prototype but that was four months ago.
3wp7Jf2.jpg
[/IMG]
bU9ps94.jpg

got to love cardboard, sticky tape and velcro.

i know this post is a little old, but do you have a build thread for that mount?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
torque is a very powerful program really. You can set it up so many ways it makes your head spin. I love it. I have to get my new tablet hooked up to the Jeep so I can set it up.

Mr. Pickles

Observer
Anyone know if Torque can display and monitor engine coolant temps? I'm considering it for my LR Discovery for peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles