Thoughts on winch bumpers for a Discovery 2?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
What are my options for a good winch bumper.

I want a bull bar, something that protect the lights and a good platform for a 10K winch.

I already have the winch, its been sitting around for some time. I think its a superwinch, not the best, but who cares, its a Land Rover, I'll use the winch to extract jeeps and hummers.:ylsmoke:

LR Max

Local Oaf
RTE makes new bumpers as well in a number of configurations. Pricey but it seems like all of them are pretty good. I think RTE has their business sorted out these days so that is good.

Tactical rovers as well makes a good one. Or get a used RTE or Sorry Guard.

ARBs and TJMs are just too friggen huge.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Well, I made a great deal on an ARB. i pick it up next week.

Is this a confession?

Well, here's how you make the best of the situation:
266570135e115a0146e00c1e46bb1caa.jpg

overover02

I'm actually in the market for a new HD front bumper (w/ winch) for my 02' Disco and wondering what the issue is with the ARB (as referenced within this thread). Is it the build quality (I watched the build video and it looks pretty stout to me... a non-expert of course) or maybe it's the way it attaches to the front end? I've always liked the ARB front bumper and see a lot of them out there on different types of vehicles (w/ a winch). Any insight/explanation would be most helpful.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
people say they move around when winching. I'll see what happens. I have a welder, I can fix it when I figure out what the issue is. I'll probably just modify the crush cans before I install it.

$800 for a brand new ARB bumper is not a bad deal

EricTyrrell

Expo God
In addition to moving and causing body damage, they reduce ground clearance, weigh too much, and aren't strong as they should be.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Depends.

If you get an ARB that is "air bag compatible" with the crush cans, they don't work. The crush cans flex too much and will rotate the bumper into your body. This is a bad time.

If you got the "non-airbag compatible" model, then it bolts straight to the frame. If anything bends, then you shouldn't have hit anything that hard.

If you ordered the air bag one, either take it back or plan on having plates welded in to effectively make the crush cans useless.

There you have it.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
The only rock crawling I do is at Moab. Most of the time its dirt roads. If I have to winch anyone out its the jeeps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles