My quest to acquire a proper Mitsubishi Delica in the USA.

Mazdax605

Observer
I am not sure what you mean by Belmont, but my importer lives in London not far from the vfw Highway. We stayed in a hotel on Dundas.

Mazdax605

Observer
Anyone ever put manual locking hubs on a Montero? I ask because I am planning on getting some locking hubs for a Montero as I have read they will fit my Deli. Also the left side outer axle boot is torn, and I need to replace it. Any gotchas for a job like that?

ultrakill

Adventurer
Anyone ever put manual locking hubs on a Montero? I ask because I am planning on getting some locking hubs for a Montero as I have read they will fit my Deli. Also the left side outer axle boot is torn, and I need to replace it. Any gotchas for a job like that?

I have manual locking hubs on my Gen 1 (1990) Montero. Easiest job in the world, you can either search for factory used Aisins or just go with rugged ridge ones. I opted for the Rugged Ridge hubs which ran about $105. awesome product, if you search in mitsubishi threads you will see some of my comments about how the cap bolts are too short. I have been super happy with them so far.

Littlefox2

Hey Chris, I'm about to import a 92 Delica myself. It's Canadian, I'm a US citizen looking to do it myself. Any special tips or paperwork guidelines for crossing the border and then satisfying the Illinois DMV? Cheers.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'm interested in this as well, next year we will be able to import Pajeros with the big motors. I'd love a 2 door Gen 2 with 3 5 DOHC.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've helped a friend do it - main thing is to be sure to RUN THE VIN NUMBER to verify the DATE OF MANUFACTURER prior to purchase. Some of these vans (and other JDM cars in Canada) have suspicious registrations - so check first.

Other than that - its pretty straightforward to cross the border with one and register it here in WA state. I live 50 miles from the border - so if anyone needs help, let me know.

Zebruken

Other than that - its pretty straightforward to cross the border with one and register it here in WA state. I live 50 miles from the border - so if anyone needs help, let me know.

I don't know how much you meant it when you said this...buuuut, if you did mean it I am looking right now at a 1992 Delica in Canada that I want to import to Washington. The government websites are not very direct on all that is required and I'm struggling to get the ball moving.

Zebruken

Excellent, thanks Sabre.

How about insurance, my agent (Country Insurance) thinks he can do it, but is struggling to figure out how with no VIN#. I may have to swap companies for this one I think.

Jeff V.

Observer
A friend of mine has his Exocet insured through Nationwide. It's basically a kit car. I had a rebuilt/salvage 3000GT Spyder insured through Nationwide. Neither of us had any problems getting coverage. I think I've heard of people getting Skylines done through them as well. Might want to see about giving them a call.

PGGRS

Observer
I have a '91 Hiroof tintop I brought in last summer. Thru the border in less than an hour. They spent more time going thru my tow rig (ambo) confiscating dog food & ramen. I have 2 '92's stored in BC & will be bringing them in when they hit 25 in July. They seem pretty unconcerned about bringing them in south of Abbottsford, other border checks may not be as used to Delicas as most are in BC.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I don't know how much you meant it when you said this...buuuut, if you did mean it I am looking right now at a 1992 Delica in Canada that I want to import to Washington. The government websites are not very direct on all that is required and I'm struggling to get the ball moving.

Sure PM me and let me know what's happening.

Kramer71

Thank you for posting all of this, Chris! Very educational.

I have a question: I am very interested in acquiring my own Delica 4x4, but I am 6'3". Will it accommodate me?
Also, what kind of mileage are you getting? It looks like a fairly efficient vehicle, without the lift kit.
Finally, will it keep up on the interstate? I need it to be capable of 70mph or so.

Thanks!

-Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles