My quest to acquire a proper Mitsubishi Delica in the USA.

Mazdax605

Observer
Thank you for posting all of this, Chris! Very educational.

I have a question: I am very interested in acquiring my own Delica 4x4, but I am 6'3". Will it accommodate me?
Also, what kind of mileage are you getting? It looks like a fairly efficient vehicle, without the lift kit.
Finally, will it keep up on the interstate? I need it to be capable of 70mph or so.

Thanks!

-Scott

I'm 6'-1" and very heavy, and I don't feel cramped height wise. I'm a little wide for the seat, but I don't feel squished. Being tall my head is near the ceiling, and I do look through the top of the windshield, but it isn't anything bad.

Zebruken

My 6'4" brother in law drove mine this weekend and said it wasn't bad. He did have to bend over to see the stop lights on occasion.

Zebruken

I'm told it will. I'm keeping mine at 50mph since the motor is still in its break in phase. Judging by the RPM at 50 I'm sure it will do 70 just fine.

ABC

Adventurer
I got passed by a BC L300 Delica last year who must have been doing at least 70mph uphill on the highway. He was billowing smoke, and his Delica sounded like it was screaming for help. Most Delicas in the PNW seem to be driven 50-60mph in 70mph zones.

Also, just wanted to reinforce what Haf-E said about running the VIN. It will save you a massive headache if it is the first thing you do. Below are a few good VIN check sites.
mitsubishi.epc-data.com/
auc.ts-export.com/month
japanesehistorycheck.com/service/

Kramer71

I got passed by a BC L300 Delica last year who must have been doing at least 70mph uphill on the highway. He was billowing smoke, and his Delica sounded like it was screaming for help. Most Delicas in the PNW seem to be driven 50-60mph in 70mph zones.

Also, just wanted to reinforce what Haf-E said about running the VIN. It will save you a massive headache if it is the first thing you do. Below are a few good VIN check sites.
mitsubishi.epc-data.com/
auc.ts-export.com/month
japanesehistorycheck.com/service/

That's kind of what I thought. Thank you!

Deshet

Adventurer
What is the going rate for these in Canada.

I live in VA and see them occasionally for sale but don't want to pay the jdm dealer markup.

I can't imagine that these are worth anymore the then the average 25 year vechile is here in the countries that originally got these.

I can tell that that old turbo skylines were pretty common on US military bases in Japan and could be had for under $3500.00 15 years ago.

Do these share parts with the Mitsubishi Fuso or anything that is available in the United States. (Mini trucks, tractors, etc)

Thanks

jdzl

Aside from the 2.5% duty, what other costs are there? It sounds like you have to work with importer/broker for bond, etc?

Mazdax605

Observer
I did indeed use a customs broker. I don't remember exactly the costs from them but I think it was around $800 USD including the bond that was good for a year and all the other duties and taxes. I can try to find the information on the customs broker I used if you'd like.

PGGRS

Observer
I live full time in Utah, & have a summer place in Olympia WA. I imported a 1990 Toyota Town Ace camper & a 1991 Delica in the past 2 years. Came thru Port Angeles with the Toy & Abbottsford with the 300, both less than an hour. They waived the tariff on the Toy as it was a bit rusty, & had a low $$$ amount on the BOS, but they did call the seller off the CL ad to question the price. The 300 a year later cost me $32 & they spent more time going thru my ambulance confiscating dog food & ramen! I have 2 '92's in Victoria ready to come in next month. Planning on having a friend help & will import both at the same time.
Next up ... finding a couple of good '94 400's to store up there until they're 25 YO. Delica 300's double in price up there when they hit 25, & I expect the more modern 400's will rise at least as much.

Saguache

Adventurer
I'm looking at purchasing an L-300 in the next couple of weeks and per the CBP guidelines, I *think* I should be able to drive it across the border with the appropriate paperwork. That said, I've yet to see or hear of anyone doing the same.

Has anyone driven a Delica, older than 25 years, across the border and registered it in their home state? Mine is Washington. Really hoping to hear some positive DIY news on this one because I'm loath to pay middle men anything.

Saguache

Adventurer
Came thru Port Angeles with the Toy & Abbottsford with the 300

Did you possibly mean "Came through Port Angeles with the Toy[ota] *at* Abbottsford [BC]?" Three-hundred being the amount you paid in duty? So confused, but this could be great news for me.

Mazdax605

Observer
I'm looking at purchasing an L-300 in the next couple of weeks and per the CBP guidelines, I *think* I should be able to drive it across the border with the appropriate paperwork. That said, I've yet to see or hear of anyone doing the same.

Has anyone driven a Delica, older than 25 years, across the border and registered it in their home state? Mine is Washington. Really hoping to hear some positive DIY news on this one because I'm loath to pay middle men anything.

I did exactly what you're talking about. Bought my Delica from an importer located in Ontario Canada, flew up, and drove it home. I hired a customs broker to assist the process. It was really easy with the help of the broker. If you want more details, you're welcome to contact me cdirado837 at g mail dot com.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles