My quest to acquire a proper Mitsubishi Delica in the USA.

Mazdax605

Observer
Hey guys,

My name is Chris, and I live in South-eastern Massachusetts. I set out about a year ago to acquire a real Mitsubishi Delica L300 Star Wagon in the USA. I had owned a US spec 2wd delica(Wagonvan) a few years ago, and wanted a real Delica of my own. Why didn;t Mitsubishi sell this version here? I attempted to buy one on Vacouver Island BC, and then that fell apart due to the distance, and logistics. I then worked with an importer in Ontario, Canada who found an awesome example for me at auction in Tokyo. I typed up a nice thread on another forum that I really don't want to recreate again, so I will just link to it here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...e-delica-starts-tomorrow-morning/89410/page1/

I ran into a gentleman with a sweet lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee last night while getting ice cream with my family in the Delica. I am interested in maybe doing some off-roading with it, but nothing too crazy as of now as I just got the van, and it is so nice. He pointed me in this direction, and I thought I would share. Nice forum you guys have here. I look forward to contributing more.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

limp_noodle

Adventurer
Just read your story!

That's pretty cool. I probably skipped over it, but how hard was it to register the car in your state?

Mazdax605

Observer
I may not have mentioned it in that thread, but it was pretty simple even in the Peoples Republik of Massachusetts. I had all of the necessary import paperwork due to the fact that I used a customs broker for the import. Once at the local DMV I waited 2+ hours and presented my paperwork. The woman at the counter said I needed to have a local law enforcment officer inspect the VIN due to it not being 17 digits(only 11). I called the local police department, and had an officer at my house a few hours later. The officer loved the van! The following day I went to the local DMV on Martha's Vineyard (where the prez is currently) because I was working out there, and presented the new paperwork I had from the officer along with the original paperwork. The woman working there stated that the other DMV wasn't doing their job properly, and that I didn't need to have the VIN inspected at all. She had me on my way in less than 10 minutes once I got to speak with her. I then got the van inspected about 2-3 dyas later without any issue aside from the inspection station worker not really knowing what the hell it was. He also was having a hard time inputing the VIN in the computer, but it was operator error.

Your story is great!!! If it was on this forum also, it would have been a great thread also.

I like the pic of the lifted one shown in your thread. This is the pic. If you build yours like this, that would be even better. Congrats again on taking that giant step to purchase such a rig.

This is the pic of the lifted one.

300lift2.jpg

Feel free to share some pics of yours here in your threads. You know how people love looking at pictures of rare rigs like these.

plh

Explorer
Maybe I missed it, but what is the build date of the Delica you brought in? I've been looking at a few 3rd Gen in Taiwan ( I travel there for work) but am concerned because although they are the older style, the build dates of the CMC with Left Hand Drive are newer than the Japanese vehicles it appears.

Mazdax605

Observer
There is no build date listed anywhere on my van aside from stating 1989. I was concerned that the border patrol may have a way of telling it was built in august like it was, so I waited until August so I could bring it in. Turns out they never even looked at anything on the van. I still think it was smart to wait, but I guess it wasn't necessary. As long as it is 89 or older you are all set.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
Hey Chris,
It was great to meet you and check out your awesome van. I got your email and sent you my contact information. I can show you some local roads that won't damage your van, but get it properly dirty.
I hope you will enjoy this forum but be careful this forum has cost me thousands of dollars !!!
(But all worth it! )
Bob

thedjjack

Dream it build it
When I bought my L300 I had planned to convert it to LHD, then I drove it around the block and saw no point in the conversion..... Mine was a 5 speed. Nice little van similar to a 22R for power but in a torquier way...

Mazdax605

Observer
Part of the charm of these is the fact that they are RHD. I am getting more and more used to it. Last night we stopped at a fast food restaurant and I had my 12 year old son climb up front to order and pay. I gave him a spare steering wheel I had from one of my rx7's. It really freaked out the lady at the window when we pulled up to get their food. My boys loved it!!

Chris

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Now this is how you join a forum.

Welcome, and don't forget to drop a couple of photos in the Van forum too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94